You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: GNR Evo members' Chinese Democracy reviews thread

Olorin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Buckethead played the solo on Sorry, not Finck.

And the lyrics are fucking amazing...the best thing about the song. Unless you hate Axl and only want to see Slash's side of the story, in which case I'm sure the lyrics suck. But I want to see both sides of the story. Axl has been silent for a long ass time on this shit and it's nice to see him letting it out musically.

I'm not much of a fan of the lyrics, dont like my Guns N Roses records sneering at original members, also they are just plain corny at times. The reoccuring theme of self pity throughout the album is also wearing a bit thin by that point. Its only some nice musicianship that makes it worthwhile imo.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

If anything, Axl created his own American Pie with this one, the lyrics could literally mean anything and are perfectly fitting for all subjects at hand.

I give Axl a hard time and Slash a lesser one, having read Slash's book he portrayed himself way too squeaky clean for my liking. I still think Slash is the lesser of the evils, but I think he downplayed the long term effects that Axl would have to endure if the band continued their excesses. I remember Axl commenting on internet fans wanting them to play Estranged (and being pro-Slash) or maybe it was November Rain in a concert rant that went something like "do you have any idea the kind of shit I went through to get those guys to fucking play those songs?" (if anyone has the video, please link me up!), and I think that's especially valid. Slash is the greatest emotional guitar player to me, even better than he is at rocking. Without Axl, does he ever even display this gift? There are HUGE rifts in the quasi-logic that is GNR and it's fine to decipher through them all. No other band was this interesting/good/fucked up.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I though Slash came across as a typical junkie in his book. The world is falling apart around him and its never his fault, whilst at the same time telling us how drunk, high or generally fucked up he was. He could never disguise that, from his perspective he probably thought he wasnt to blame for much, but thats life. People remember things the way they want to, the brain plays tricks with memories over the course of time as well. Each person will have there own recollections and its slightly skewed because of personal emotions.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Olorin wrote:

There is a definate Anti-Slash attitude from Axl, and the way beta, fernando and jarmo constantly come online and sow the seeds of Slash negativity, its clear to me that the bad feeling towards Slash is very real , very bitter, and very close to the surface in that little clique.

Yes..actually I'll grant that Jarmo seems keen to sow the seeds of anti-slash sentiment in the fan base. I always assumed it was a strategy of his to be seen as acceptable to the modern band (and I guess from the liner notes it worked!) given that it began right around the time he was getting access to the band. I wouldn't know what Beta and so on think so i'll take your word.

The interesting question then is: Why? Why do they hate slash SO badly. What did he do? He played a key role in making the previous works of the band successful. He allowed Axl to take full control of the GNR name. Appart from the occasional lighthearted joke about lead singers and lateness and that kind of thing he has refrained from bagging out Axl or the modern GNR to any real extent - and there have been a ton of chances for that. I don't see why the hate. Maybe it's because he left. He did leave big shoes to fill - and I can see that would be problomatic and cause some resentment - or perhaps axl has issues with abandoment in general now. Although - I think if we looked at things fairly - no one is a saint - NONE of the guys in gnr - slash included - but if Axl was getting people to re-do slash's parts...a guy who helped make AFD and stuff - it's no surprise that he got upset over it. Anyway...all i'm saying is...i'd love to know the reason they might hate slash. if that is the situation.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I think the hate has to do with the fact that at opne point Slash bashed Axl a lot in the media.  And in one interview would say something and in the next would change his story.  Hence why they say he lies all the time.  For me Beta, Fernando, Del or Jarmo show a real lack of maturity in their Slash comments.  Maybe if they would mind their own business things wouldn't be that bad between Axl and Slash.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I think the hate has to do with the fact that at opne point Slash bashed Axl a lot in the media.  And in one interview would say something and in the next would change his story.  Hence why they say he lies all the time.  For me Beta, Fernando, Del or Jarmo show a real lack of maturity in their Slash comments.  Maybe if they would mind their own business things wouldn't be that bad between Axl and Slash.

They need things to be bad between Axl and Slash.  There would be no Beta, Del, or Jarmo types had the original band not broken up.  There would be hanger ons, but none with the influence these people have now and none of them want to lose it.

They are the biggest roadblock to a reunion in my opinion...not Axl or Slash.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

If you believe MSL, and I do, there is animosity and jealousy towards Slash from that clique because of the different way the media and fans view them.  Slash has a pop culture status as a loveable anti-hero while Axl has the status of being an just being an asshole.

Slash gave a lot of interviews in the late 90's and early 2000's basically calling Axl an asshole and largely responsible for all the band splitting. The clique believes he fed these flames whilst promoting himself as innocent.

Of course Axls behaviour in the 90's has nothing to do with the public perception of him roll

Axls press release, the one talking about Slash visiting his house and publicly making malicious claims about what Slash had drunkingly said. That was a real low blow in my book, it was such a spiteful way to try and turn people against Slash.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

They need things to be bad between Axl and Slash.  There would be no Beta, Del, or Jarmo types had the original band not broken up.  There would be hanger ons, but none with the influence these people have now and none of them want to lose it.

They are the biggest roadblock to a reunion in my opinion...not Axl or Slash.

During the entire Slash's Book discussion sham where jarmo did all he could tp paint Slash out to be a liar, Fernando kept chipping in calling Slash a media whore, liar and narcissist and how we fans dont know the real Slash.

This has been Fernandos signature ever since:

"Signature:
Narcissism has a lot to do with selfishness and deep need for adoration, not giving a fuck for others and promoting themselves at the expense of others often publicly."

Why the hell is he so determined to tarnish the character of Slash, its creepy.

(he also refers to Guns N'Roses as "we", which I dont like.)

Before that GNR clique got involved with HTGTH, jarmo was cool about Slash, excited about VR's arrival and attended VR shows.

Now he just sneers at the very idea of VR and anything else the old band get involved with, and he also jumps into to Slash threads to deliberately stir up trouble.

Now he is flown across the world to rub shoulders with that little clique. Is that what price you have to pay?  2

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl has nobody to blame but himself for his perception.  He chose not to say anything.  He chose to become a hermit.  He chose to do things to push every original member out of the band (not saying it's entirely his fault, but there's no denying he did things to every person in that band that could drive them away).  He chose to abuse Erin and Stephanie (and who know who else).  He chose to release a solo album as Guns N' Roses.  He chose to bitchslap (ha) an old dude and bite a security guard.  None of these things endear him to people.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah its funny cos people always say slash gave a bunch of interviews where he called Axl an asshole and so on...but i've never seen these interviews. I'm not saying anyone is lying but I wonder if its been exagerated cos we all keep saying that it happened. I've seen him say he was over Axl being late and cancelling shows and that he didn't like his parts being re-recorded(but that's just giving a reason for his quitting rather than saying axl is a fuckhead or anything). And i dont have any qotes on hand - but i've seen situations where the interviewer was bagging axl and slash shut it down. He's always come across to me as respectful of axl's talent and vaguely leaving the door open for a reunion one day if the things he doesn't like about the band are resolved. (mostly the cancelling of shows and lateness)

Board footer