You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Guitarist DJ ASHBA: I Have No Reason To Kiss Axl Rose's Ass

James wrote:

While I'm not defending the constant, overblown praise of the vault, this has went back all the way to the UYI era before those albums were released. People like Baz, Del James, Lonn Friend, Alice Cooper,etc. raving on the material they heard. While that was a different time obviously and we knew we were definitely getting those albums, when you get down to brass tacks it's basically the same thing. What does make it different is that Axl is not prolific and has little interest in moving forward and also the fact his fan base is older and much more jaded.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
mickronson wrote:

The point is, none of them are telling us anything.  They are telling us their pipe dreams and not what actually is going on, which only Axl in his fucked up mind can decide.   DJ is a nobody, a hired gun and nothing else, so in this case yeah, shut up DJ.

So what IS going on exactly?  Is that what you want to hear?  Would you like DJ, Ron, Tommy, or Axl himself to tell the world that nothing is going on, GNR is a mess of a band that is run horribly and there's absolutely nothing to look forward to?  Is that what you're looking for?  Because it certainly seems that way.  I'm with monkeychow on this one.  People are pissed when we hear nothing.  They're pissed when we hear positive things that we can't fathom having an ounce of truth.  So that leaves the only viable option that you want to hear the absolute worst, because that's the only thing you could possibly believe at this point.  Just doesn't seem right to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm not pissed when I hear good things, although I know you're point that Axl can't seem to win almost always.

I just don't like smoke being blown up my ass. I looked into this guy's comments thinking there might be a shred of hope that a new GN'R album was imminent, only to find out the same ass story since CD in 2001.

Not only are we 'jaded', our disillusionment is CONSTANTLY re-inforced by Axl and EVERYONE around him.

It just sucks dude

faldor

faldor wrote:

I just refuse to get "too" excited about anything GNR related, regardless of what I hear or what I read.  If I had read these comments by DJ 10 or even 5 years ago, he may have had me going.  But I'm far too experienced at this game now, and I think we all are at this point.  So I just don't see the reason to get on him for speaking positively about Axl and the band.  Take it for what it is, and know that there's nothing to get too excited about.

I'm with you, and others though, hearing the new SixxAM album got me excited about the prospect of what DJ could do with GNR when/if a new record is worked on/finished. 

Again, I'd rather hear DJ wax poetic about GNR, then say everything sucks.  At least there's HOPE, however faint it might be.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Fair enough

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

While I'm not defending the constant, overblown praise of the vault, this has went back all the way to the UYI era before those albums were released. People like Baz, Del James, Lonn Friend, Alice Cooper,etc. raving on the material they heard. While that was a different time obviously and we knew we were definitely getting those albums, when you get down to brass tacks it's basically the same thing. What does make it different is that Axl is not prolific and has little interest in moving forward and also the fact his fan base is older and much more jaded.

And he doesn't have Izzy, Slash, and Duff helping him create said "vault tracks."

Sky Dog wrote:

I'll bet some of the Buckethead/Brain vault stuff is good. Tommy could have easily added some Izzy like stuff as well. Chinese and the future falls on Axl.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Posted over on HTGTH

Sure sounds like DJ is being more careful with his answers nowadays.  Word must've gotten back to him that people were misinterpreting what he was saying.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-r … interview/

Click the link for the whole thing.  I'll just paste the GNR related stuff.

You mentioned a Guns N’ Roses tour. Would that include North America?

Well, I mean, I don’t want to put anything out there yet, the only thing that’s in stone right now is Rock in Rio, on Oct. 2, but I know that we’re all itching to get out there, and one of our main big goals is to tour the States. When everything goes through, obviously, everyone will know about it. I’m hoping it happens; it’ll be a lot of fun.

Has Guns N’ Roses been recording any new material?

Axl has so many songs up his sleeve from the ‘Chinese Democracy’ era. He has three albums of really amazing stuff. He’s played me quite a bit of it, it’s really good. I’ve been demoing tons of stuff in my studio; I think the ultimate goal is to sit down and go through everything, and put together what he feels would be the next best thing for Guns N’ Roses. I’ll do whatever I can to help him meet that vision.

What are your favorite songs from ‘Chinese Democracy,’ and which are the most fun to play live?

Probably ‘This I Love’ is one that really hooked me, because it’s just a great song, lyrically and musically; it goes through a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s very heartfelt, you can tell. I love playing that, but once you get out there live, stuff like ‘Shackler’s Revenge’ and ‘Chinese Democracy’ comes alive. They all really do translate live very well, they’re just high-energy and fun to play. ‘Street of Dreams’ is also great.

The band played a three-and-a-half hour show in Tokyo a while back. Was that a dare or something?

No, we were just having an absolute blast. We went, I think, almost four hours. It was one of those things where we came back [from the main set], it had been 3 hours and 16 minutes, and we had no idea.

You really didn’t notice?

Not really, because every show we’ve been doing a two-and-a-half to three-hour show; we’ve been doing some long nights. The crowd was going nuts; we kind of lost ourselves. We went back out for the encore, we were gonna do two or three songs, and we ended up doing quite a few more. By the time we got off, we realized we beat the all-time Guns N’ Roses record for longest show, which we didn’t set out to do, but it was cool.

You also own your own ad agency?

Ashba Media, it’s a graphic design agency, a creative agency. We do everything from, gosh … you name it. Right now, I’m working on an animated movie script that I wrote, and my company is designing all the characters. We’re starting to design some Guns N’ Roses merchandise; we did some of the stage design, all the art on Axl’s piano. We do a lot of work with Ovation guitars, just a lot of different things. It’s just a really cool way to tie in my love for art and my love for music.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

GOOD BOY! I knew he had it in him.

That's how you do it. That's all I was asking.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

GOOD BOY! I knew he had it in him.

That's how you do it. That's all I was asking.

Agree. The sum of it is all what we expected.

Funny that while Axl is constatly referring to it as a 'band' and how the 'band decides', DJ clearly says that it's all up to Axl. Nobody's shocked though.

Board footer