You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: pets

Neemo wrote:

so yeah my cat ( turned 14 in the summer) has realy seemed to have gone downhill in recent months...peeins & pooping everywhere, starting to look ratty, lost alot of weight

turns out he has diabetes...goos thing i took him to the vet today sad

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Sorry to hear that Neemo.

Diabetes and renal failure tend to be quite common in old cats.

We had to take my cat to the vet and have it put down earlier this year as his kidneys had given up.  He was about 16 and had started to go down quite a lot.  Drinking lots of water, losing weight, ratty fur, he smelt (which was due to the build up of toxins in his body) he also appeared to be getting dementia from it.

Diabetes is manageable tho from what I understand - obviously once you know what's wrong with them, which you now do.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Sorry about your cat.

I have three dogs. One of them has dealt with undiagnosed allergies (constant itching) that requires prednisone for years. The long term effects of that drug have begun to wear her down and she now has a distended belly ( enlarged liver) and tumors all over her body. She can still make it around the block, but these days she moves pretty darn slow. She actually still has a decent life, but I know eventually it will turn a corner and we'll have to make the decision. I feel bad for her because if she's damned either way. If she doesn't get those meds, she would scratch until she bled, and then get a secondary infection from that. Long term use of those meds cause a laundry list of problems.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

thanks guys

yeah Aussie that was the first diagonosis the Vet gave out cat (kidney failure) as he has the same symptoms that you described (Except Smell) but after a couple tests they determined possible diabetes (but i went to the vet fully ready for the worst case yesterday)

my freind had to put his dog down last week i was his roommate at the time that he got her, i actually went to the shelter when he saw her for the first time..he called me and let me know that she was gone but damn it still is sad, she was really his best freind

sorry about your dog Cramer...it sucks when you know when they are in pain

Russ did you ever figure out shat was the cause of death?

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Russ did you ever figure out shat was the cause of death?

He basically ate a lot of things that weren't food and it caused blockages in his stomach/intestines which initially just made him sick. He went in for surgery and came home, then passed in his sleep. He was a really little guy so I am sure the surgery was just too much for his body. We miss him a ton. I'm not even a dog person, but he was a different guy... sad

Stacey

Stacey wrote:

I'm sorry about all of your pets guys sad Russ is right - Nikki must live to be 140 years old or we aren't going to be very productive humans... She makes everything better.

Here's a picture of her when she first came home with me. She was only 13 ounces, and fit in the palm of my hand.
eh11k0.jpg

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

awww cutey

my 7yo and her penchant for sympathy says to me

when meridian dies can we get an orange cat? lol nice

Stacey

Stacey wrote:
Neemo wrote:

awww cutey

my 7yo and her penchant for sympathy says to me

when meridian dies can we get an orange cat? lol nice

Poor guy. Although, that's a really great way to speed up the healing process. At any rate, I hope the kitten can continue to have a good life smile The 'beetus is definitely able to be handled when you know about it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Best wishes for your cat Neemo..and to everyone who's lost pets in this thread...it can be really traumatic.

Board footer