You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: JAMES: Kim Talks About Contributing More to New SG Album

Saikin wrote:

From Dallas Observer‘s new interview with Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil:

On the new album you’re working on now, are you contributing more?
Yeah, I’m definitely contributing more. With guitar bands, fans want to hear the guitarist’s ideas as a song. But the good thing about Soundgarden is that everybody in the band writes songs on guitar. The drummer Matt writes songs on guitar. He’s not introducing songs on drums or piano or anything. Even our bass player Ben: As opposed to introducing songs on bass, he primarily introduces songs on guitar. So I’m the guy that has to learn everybody’s guitar nuances and styles and play their songs. So regardless of whether it’s me or the other guys in the band, we are a guitar-based band. I am contributing more, but I think the good news is that everybody is contributing.
---------------------------------

James is going to be pitching a tent over this.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Def great news but is the album only at this stage of completion? If they're still aiming for early 2012 we should start getting song titles shortly.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Seriously this is like the only thing i'm looking forward to right now. Every other artist I know of is well-between albums right now, and i've kinda gotten bored with Dream Theater.

I'm glad Kim is contributing more. I always thought he was the underrated one.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Seriously this is like the only thing i'm looking forward to right now. Every other artist I know of is well-between albums right now, and i've kinda gotten bored with Dream Theater.

I'm glad Kim is contributing more. I always thought he was the underrated one.

Kim, Ben and Matt are all highly underrated.  Cornell can be underrated too (seriously).  None of those guys get the respect they deserve.  Cornell gets the most but mainly for his voice.  He's also a brilliant song writer and one that can't read music at all. 

Kim contributing more suggests that the album will be heavy and not a lighter album.  That is good news.  Someone needs to be kicking ass out there and no one seems able or willing to do it.

Lomax wrote:

Sounds more to me like Kim is contributing less. That everyone is giving guitar parts and he's just playing them like a guitar monkey.

James

James wrote:

Excellent point. Down on the Upside 2 is fine with me though.  He'll probably contribute more in the writing process than that. We need more info obviously.

Never the Machine Forever was the heaviest song on DOTU .

Lomax wrote:

Me too. tighter and tighter was Kim wasn't it? It's a great mix of BMF type stuff with a DOTU vibe.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Riad wrote:

Sounds more to me like Kim is contributing less. That everyone is giving guitar parts and he's just playing them like a guitar monkey.

The point you are missing is that everyone has always wrote songs on guitar and presented them to the rest of the guys.

James

James wrote:

I think Riad was referring to this:

I’m the guy that has to learn everybody’s guitar nuances and styles and play their songs.

While he does say he's writing, that sentence is his DOTU contribution in a nut shell....

James

James wrote:

He walked into the DOTU sessions with an album already composed by Chris & Ben that was merely waiting for his stamp.
Different situation now obviously but it does make you wonder.

Board footer