You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Mick Wall's Latest "Chinese Democracy" Mention

AtariLegend wrote:

Spent the day trying to finish off the update for the paperback edition of the Axl book. This meant listening to the 11-track CD someone sent me of earlier this year of Chinese Democracy. Obviously I dont have all the tracks. According to our mutual friend Sebastian Bach there are maybe four CDs worth of songs out there. But it does give you a good idea of what we are talking about. Bottom line: it is like everyone who has ever heard this stuff says, he shoulda put it out AGES ago. Everyone that is, except Axl. It really does make you wodner about his mental and emotional state. What kind of place must his head have been in this past 15 years not to put this out? To think he can somehow do better? And even if he can do better, to not simply consider putting that out on his NEXT album? Poor cunt just doesnt have a fuck, as they used to say in a place I once lived.

Source: http://www.mickwall.com/blog/blog.php

Thanks to "Sometimes_Isee_dead_people" at MYGNR

mick wall = douchebag

November Rain
 Rep: 4 

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

mick wall = douchebag

How dare you say that,hmmm? I´m going to report ya fucker...:haha:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I've never been much of a Mick Wall fan either and the more he talks, it becomes pretty obvious he doesn't know much. He just says general shit that you can find on any GNR forum. Hell, he probably reads(or posts) at these sites.

While he may have known things in the past, he never offers up any new tidbits of information. Its always shit we've all talked about before.

November Rain

He probably has the same leaks that the fans have and is trying to act as if he had something we don´t have, which I bet he doesn´t.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Oh, I completely agree. Here's Mick's cd.....

IRS
Better
TWAT
CITR
CD
Madagascar
The Blues
Riyadh
Silkworms
Oh My God

That leaves an extra song, which is probably the Better Pitman mix, or if we remove Oh My God from that list, it allows for the 99 demos of IRS and TWAT to be added instead, which brings us to 11 tracks.

November Rain

Yes, probably.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I've never been much of a Mick Wall fan either and the more he talks, it becomes pretty obvious he doesn't know much. He just says general shit that you can find on any GNR forum. Hell, he probably reads(or posts) at these sites.

While he may have known things in the past, he never offers up any new tidbits of information. Its always shit we've all talked about before.

Mick Wall's situation is slightly two-fold, I think. On one hand his (past) relationship with Axl provides a good stepping stone to write about him, which equals meal-ticket, publishing contract, etc. On the other hand, he seems a bit obsessed with Axl, putting out piece after piece of turds in a tux. Wall is basically a competent writer, and he can write a serviceable text with information available through unorthodox sources such as the boards, and he's also seasoned enough to know most of his readers want the dirt on Axl. Mick Wall's elevator doesn't go too high with anyone remotely relevant within Axl's circles nowadays, which is why he just alludes to have interviewed various people, but in reality, is merely reading things up and rearranging the syntax to provide for an inside view.

Think he spoke to Tom Zutaut before writing this, for one?

Tom Zutaut knew what to expect as his car crowned a steep hill and drew up before the vast Malibu mansion. [Description on Axl's house] Zutaut had been here before, often. This was the first time he wished he could melt into the safe anonymity of the album-clutching fans; he was anxious about the confrontation to come and expected the worst. His instincts had not deserted him - as it turned out, he was proved absolutely right.

[...] Zutaut's arrival at the mansion was the last throw of the dice by a desperate record company. For Universal Music, Chinese Democracy - the working title of the album - should have been a safe bet.

[...] And so Universal had now turned to the very man who had created the Guns N' Roses phenomenon in the first place: Zutaut had even been offered a 30 per cent bonus if he could get Rose to finish the album. Zutaut had seen off stiff competition in 1986 to sign Guns N' Roses (he scuppered rival A&Rs by misinforming them the band were appalling live), and presided over their rise to fame, launching the biggest-selling debut album of all time, Appetite For Destruction. He had masterminded the success of the record by begging MTV to play the video of the single Welcome To The Jungle when sales of the album started to level out at just 200,000.

[...] Zutaut stood in Rose's huge entrance hall, reflecting on the fact that the star had already been through eight producers and 20 musicians. Things had gone beyond the decadent madness of even the infamous Beach Boys' Smile project (started in 1966; released in 2004).

[...] And as Zutaut took in the sight around him, his heart must have sunk. How was he ever going to persuade the singer to make music again? I know exactly how Zutaut must have felt, because I have known Rose well.

[...] By the time Zutaut arrived on the scene in 2001, Rose was back '˜working' on Chinese Democracy.

[...] As well as Zutaut, Universal also signed up former Queen producer Roy Thomas Baker. [Some history] By Christmas 2001, with Chinese Democracy still no nearer to completion, Zutaut and Baker were both fired by Rose.

Pay attention to Wall's wording and you'll notice he's just namedropping Zutaut while mentioning events based of public knowledge. Zutaut went to see Axl in 2001 after Interscope had hired him as the A&R man; he must've felt he had a hard task ahead in getting Axl release music. Talk about investigative journalism worthy of 60 Minutes, Mick. Nothing in the piece has Wall falling into the old trap of putting words into Zutaut's mouth, and nothing suggests they've spoken about the latter's time with Axl. It's just another smokescreen for an experienced writer to appear knowledgeable and at the same time, avoid hassles with people close to Axl by saying he never lied, he just read about all this on the internet or whatever.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

HE does have some point with this though, the leaks show the material is worthy of release, and even if Axl can do even better, who ever said he could only make 1 album to prove his worth? Hell - if he really wanted to prove he was the soul of GNR he'd have to at least make a few albums.

Board footer