You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Next Thing

monkeychow wrote:

The reason for every tour of every band is to make money. That's how they're in a band and not working at your local coffee shop. Can't see the problem. Professional entertainers are paid to entertain that's not really "taking money off your fans" - it's supplying the service that's wanted.

I think it's great to see the band active.

Sky Dog wrote:

of course it is.....Jon, a "pious" reason? Did you hit your head when you fell off the turnip truck?  16

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I get what you're saying, but to me you don't need a reason to tour. If an artist wants to perform, they should do so. If people want to watch them, they should. IMO, everything shouldn't be about selling albums, etc.

To me it's not about selling albums but it's about MOVING ON...

It's time already for Axl to let the past (past band and the chinese saga) behind and move on, make new music and enjoy the band he has now - that, from my point of view is the first lineup to stand bahind him and try to push him forward to positive things.

Perhaps the only ones to do that and not walk off on the guy were Tobias and Reed in the nineties. Stinson is BY FAR the most loyal member EVER in Guns N' Roses history by my accounts.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I get what you're saying, but to me you don't need a reason to tour. If an artist wants to perform, they should do so. If people want to watch them, they should. IMO, everything shouldn't be about selling albums, etc.

And it isn't. At least in the sense of touring to make money off of albumsales.

Like we've discussed before. From a money-making point of view, an album is promotion for the shows. And it's been that way for many years now!

From my POV, if GNR needs to tour to make some money to fund further recordings. Bring it on!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Tommy seemed pretty excited about it in his interview so it must be something fairly interesting....

I agree. And Tommy has an Izzy-ish personality. Tommy isn't gonna hang around to do the same stuff and the same songs over and over again. He's too much of an artist.

I'm wondering if this is an all acoustic theater show, or something totally unique like that.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
Naltav wrote:
russtcb wrote:

And it isn't. At least in the sense of touring to make money off of albumsales.

Like we've discussed before. From a money-making point of view, an album is promotion for the shows. And it's been that way for many years now!

From my POV, if GNR needs to tour to make some money to fund further recordings. Bring it on!

Not if they need to raise as much money as cd cost!

Sky Dog wrote:

regarding new music....I found this quote from Ian Astbury (The Cult) interesting...sounds familiar.

When did you start the process of making the album? It's been about five years since your previous record.

You know, there's no really clear beginning or end date, really, with the creative process. I think it's ongoing. It's almost like you're always working with different ingredients, different influences. Things can change. I mean, I personally like to take things right up to the wire, so that things are as relevant and as fresh as they can be. Like, I'm still changing some song titles right now, based upon different vibrations I'm picking up on, either from myself or within my group or from an outside source.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … z1l45PxEvw

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What's amazing with that creative process is that Astbury/Duffy have failed to make an album worth a damn since 1991's Ceremony. Yeah yeah yeah, I know "The Cult '94" was the best thing they ever did... whatever.

The Cult is another one of those putting out a new album in 2012, in addition to the many other rock acts this year. They're re-teaming with Bob Rock, so maybe they might be able to do something special, but they did the same thing in 2001 with Beyond Good and Evil and it was forgettable.

The Cult's new free single "Lucifer" is a total B-side.

These guys take tons of time off, and fail to come back with something that really sticks. Astbury has one of the most unique voices in rock, Billy Duffy is still one of the most underrated guitarists in rock. His tone, riffs and solos are still spot on, and their own Southwestern, sun-baked, Native American rock-vibe is very unique.

But no hook. The Cult need a real "Rock N' Roll Train" type of song that harkens back to Fire Woman to really kinda kick the door back in and show they've still got it.

*just a little editoral on the "The Next Thing" for another rock band in 2012; thanks for posting madagas*

Sky Dog wrote:

it could just be a bunch of washed up rock stars looking for an excuse to NOT release music! 16

The Cult still rock pretty damn hard in concert.:peace:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree. From what i've seen The Cult's shows kick fuckin' ass.

I missed them last time around. The day they were in town, I wasn't.

Board footer