You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Bono wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Kinda agree...

There's a good posibility that THIS is as big as this version of GNR is gonna get. They are playing stadiums and huge arenas around the world. And the US has proven that they can't play the sort of venues they play in South America.

So this is where we're at. I don't mind and for all we know the band doesen't mind.

Some of you seem to be upset about the fact that the band isn't a MASSIVE hit.

The band hasn't played in New York since 2006. There's 8 MILLION people living there and the band is playing 3 or 4 small club gigs. And the band seems to be having a blast!

Being upset about the fact that they COULD do better if this and that happened doesen't seem to apply to enough people that it's gonna cause ANY sort of drastic change in ANY direction.

I couldn't give a shit where they play as long as the venues are packed. Whether that's 30 000 or 30 I don't care. I think what they are doing now is much cooler than half empty arenas though. It should always be like this. Maybe slightly larger venues but not much. I don't care one way or the other how big they get I just want new music and have the band form it's own identity or a reunion. One or the other or both. Endless tours are fun and all but there's nothing lasting. Personally I'll never go see them again unless they're willing to offer something new or fresh. And dusting off a couple oldies doesnt' count as new or fresh. I simply mean a new album or a reunion.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

It would be grteat if the band did change things up a bit more.

Back in the day, Axl used to call the tunes as he felt them which meant anything could appear..now it just seems to be a case of getting from A to B the same way each night.

Still, if its a good gig and people have a blast, good for him. However, like many here I won't be going to another GNR gig until the Boards light up with new tunes. I've had my fill of Jungle etc.. as aGNR anorack I need the deeper cuts to keep coming.

Still, that puts me in  a small minority..along with most of you!!

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl
Slash
Duff
Izzy
Steven

The rest are irrelevant if Appetite/Illusions are to be used as the benchmark - even Sorum.

Lomax wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I am willing to bet that Axl and Slash have met quietly already, probably via Duff.

+1

+2

I suspect that the small arena tour and guns doing the rounds in europe may in fact be new GNR's goodbye tour.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I see Tommy has lined up solo shows in April, including the 14th.

Looks like Axl will be indeed be there.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

aparently 102.1 the edge fm out of toronto claimed this afternoon that gnr were indeed going to be reuniting for this .... thought for sure i'd see some kind of reporting on it when i got home from work but apparently they are counting their eggs before they hatch

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah but Slash has solo thing right after HOF... SO....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

ID, Axl could have avoided becoming a nostalgia act if he had wanted to. He talked the talk late90s-early 00s but couldn't walk the walk.

If Rio 01 had the 09 Jap setlist they would have been taken seriously. He had buzz in 01 & 02 but squandered it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

At the time, the world wanted to hear CD, not AFD. Amusing in hindsight how he said in interviews that fans were resistant to forward progress & he wanted to ease us into it when the fact was that HE was the only person against it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think the flip side of the coin was that for as hungry as Axl was or seemed to be to find a way back out there, he showed major insecurites by A) trying to reboot the Guns N' Roses thing with a different lineup, but same brand, and B) continuing to just never ever look comfortable on stage without the old guys.

I actually think, and this is NOT a comment on the great abilities of all of the new band members over the years, but Axl never ever started looking comfortable on stage with the new band until DJ was brought on board in 2009, and even now 2011-12 Axl looks better and better with them. More comfortable.

I know Saikin felt Axl was distant with Duff in Seattle, but others felt the same about London 2010. But others said they were alot more interactive at Vancouver 2011.

Look at how Axl interacted with Izzy in 2006.

I know alot of people cry "reunionite" when people say it, and it's not exactly something you can nail down, but Axl acts differently with Izzy & Duff than he does with the rest from 2001-2007. He just does. There's a different bond with Izzy & Duff, that is non-existant with the rest.

DJ Ashba & Tommy Stinson (in the present) are the ONLY two new band members that i've seen Axl seem to have that same boyish "friend" bond on stage with. All smiles, all laughs, all fun, VERY comfortable.

Even Axl with Ron & Richard alot of the time seems forced. Put on. Axl has never had any sort of interaction with the backing band, including Dizzy which has been in the band for now over 20 years. Axl has NO interaction with him live.

And why do I say this?

Because if Axl Rose was never ever truely comfortable or safe with what he was doing (despite the spirit to WANT to carry on), it would explain why Axl hid in the AFD back catalog, continued to be hung up on the old band, and constantly never felt safe enough to truely push any version of the new band.

The irony is the 2009-12 GN'R is basically a rebooted version of the AFD/Lies/late 80s-version of GN'R and yet lookeythere... Axl seems happier than ever.

Why?

There's a method to his madness in this, and it ain't JUST because DJ & Tommy are really groovy guys.

Think about it. Tommy basically IS Duff McKagan (self-admitted). And all of the sudden Axl has a mock-Slash up there on replacement.

NOW he starts feeling safe.

*ding ding ding* we have a winner

Axl never ever did get past it. Now all of the sudden he's at the front of the line racing to the Hall.

Intercourse wrote:

It would be grteat if the band did change things up a bit more.

Back in the day, Axl used to call the tunes as he felt them which meant anything could appear..now it just seems to be a case of getting from A to B the same way each night.

Still, if its a good gig and people have a blast, good for him. However, like many here I won't be going to another GNR gig until the Boards light up with new tunes. I've had my fill of Jungle etc.. as aGNR anorack I need the deeper cuts to keep coming.

Still, that puts me in  a small minority..along with most of you!!

I will never ever get tired of Welcome To The Jungle. No matter how many times I hear it or see it or sing it... still holds the same power all these years later just like a beautiful wife.

Board footer