You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

monkeychow wrote:

To clarify some of my posts.

To me the truth of the situation,  rather than the usual side warefare, is that everyone shares a little of the blame, and everyone did the best they could given their own issues.

I have no desire to paint Axl as a devil, I just question if he is a saint either. Axl seems to want Slash to apologise, and he's probably owed that, but tit for tat he also probably owes Slash an apology for his own side of it.

I just think none of these things are simplistic. People love to call Slash a liar - but ask yourself why he was lying/missrepresenting to the press again? Oh that's right it was after Axl made public information that was obviously designed to break up Velvet Revolver for good. Yet Slash is a bad guy for that?

Axl has some valid reasons to be pissy at the others, but they also have some good reasons for bad blood too. That's why even if no reunion, I'd like to see some sort of "ok we were all fuckheads to each other in our youth" statement from all sides. I think Duff has said before that they all just did what they did to survive the crazy life event that being famous to their level as young men was. And that's what I see as the truth of it.

I just get sick of the Axl is a saint as slash is a prick stance, and also the Slash is a saint and Axl is the devil version of events too. They've both done suspect stuff.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
faldor wrote:

My 4 day odyssey is now complete.  I had some reservations along the way, but I was more than satisfied with what transpired Saturday night.  Don't get me wrong, there were some obvious negatives.  Unrelated to GNR, I haven't gotten a chance to read up on the reason for Rod Stewart's no show, but that was a bit of a bummer.  I thought the singer for the Faces was pretty damn good though.  Also, not a huge Green Day fan but I thought they did a great job opening the show and setting the tone.  Also thought they fared well with inducting GNR.  Couldn't help but crack up at Chris Rock's joke about Axl Rose either.

Anyway, as for GNR, since that's what really matters here.  It was sad in a way that they lost out top billing to the Chili Peppers.  No offense to them, because they were deserving and they did a great job as well.  It just wasn't meant to go down that way.  And honestly, I think GNR still could've closed the show even without Axl, of course I'm a little biased.  There were a few cheers for Axl, when he was referenced or shown on the screen, but the boos heavily outweighed the cheers.  If he thought the public wasn't on his side before in the US, he's in for some tough times in the future if they ever tour here again.  I mean, I guess time heals all wounds (well at least most, ahem).  But he was probably the most hated man in the building that night.  the mayor of Cleveland and governor of Ohio may have given him a run for his money, but it was close.

I felt bad for him, and I know I shouldn't.  It's all his own doing.  And I understand why he didn't want to be there.  I get it.  I really have no problem with it or his letter.  I just wish he would've congratulated the rest of the guys or something.  That would've taken some of the sting away.

Anyhow, I thought the speeches were really good, genuine, and heartfelt.  I was surprised Steven was so brief.  I have to say, I have a whole new appreciation for Myles for stepping up on Saturday.  I know he's not loved by all, but he allowed me to see Slash, Duff, Matt, Steven, and Gilby rocking out to 3 classic GNR songs that I so dearly love.  That alone was worth the 9 1/2 hour trip to Cleveland for me.  Getting to finally see Slash live, ripping up those solos was mesmerizing.  The man is a larger than life figure on stage.  I think he got the loudest ovations all night of anyone that was there.  I'm all for Myles in Velvet Revolver, not that I wasn't before.  Although, that's a discussion for a different day.  But I honestly appreciate Myles coming through when things looked so bleak.  And in the end, it probably worked out better that Axl didn't show up because then a performance may not have happened at all.

Overall, I had a great time.  And for all the shit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gets, I thought they put on an amazing show with all things being considered.  The night had all the makings of being a complete and utter disaster, but it exceeded my expectations and made the trip well worth it.

22 Good one Mate

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm sure lawyers could have figured out a way to make it work if they would have put an effort into it.  There's a middle ground somewhere.

What? Have a provision that says they can't fire him or have any say in financial matters? That's pretty much what he offered them. On financial benefits the terms seem to have been as fair as in the past.

I don't know...I don't know all the details of what the arrangement was before and exactly what it became.  My point is there's a better way he could have done it that would have protected him without hurting Slash and Duff.  There's no way you can convince me otherwise.  Axl sees things very black and white, but there's a lot of gray area that could have served everybody's interests instead of only Axl's.  That's what lawyers do...they work out way bigger deals than this involving corporate mergers (for example) where both side's interests are protected, so they could have worked something out here.

So what he did may well have been legal, but it's a dick move to people that at the very least were peers and at best were friends; and it's a move people are not going to forgive him for given what he's done with the name since he took it over.  If you're going to make a dick move, you have to live with the shit that goes along with it.

killingvector wrote:

I think he means that Axl should have negotiated a deal by representing both sides simultaneously. Or something like that. Realistically speaking, that was not gonna happen.

Not exactly.  Since people have used the divorce analogy in the past, think of it as the difference between being generous to your ex and not contesting everything, and going for the throat and taking it all.  While taking it all may be legal, it may not be the right thing to do.  You can win and get your fair share without raking the other party over the coals.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Shivers down my spine seeing this video and imagining something along these lines between Axl and Slash.

Imagine if we'd get something like the "Some Kind of Monster" doc?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The lawsuits probably have a lot to do with Axl's anger. The songwriting process with Slash and their frictions there. Plus, whatever Axl sees as him lying. Like, for 16 years they let it float out there that Axl hijacked the name by holding them hostage backstage at a show... Duff cleared that up. Why did it take 16 years to do it when they all KNEW the rumors. I actually heard Matt recount this very rumor on the Monsters show in Orlando, and not only did he say it happened, but said he was a part of it and signed over his rights.... He never had any rights to the name.

And in Axl's mind, he probably sees the negative things Slash has said as a direct attack on his attempts to ressurect his career, which he's alluded to that there have been legal things between he and Slash that were major road blocks in that.

Clearing this up is very touchy. I think if Slash went on the Trunk show and just totally cleared the air, instead of the "no comments" he always does, and Axl actuall came out and said what the problem is between them... It would go a long way.

ninic
 Rep: -4 

ninic wrote:
misterID wrote:

The lawsuits probably have a lot to do with Axl's anger. The songwriting process with Slash and their frictions there. Plus, whatever Axl sees as him lying. Like, for 16 years they let it float out there that Axl hijacked the name by holding them hostage backstage at a show... Duff cleared that up. Why did it take 16 years to do it when they all KNEW the rumors. I actually heard Matt recount this very rumor on the Monsters show in Orlando, and not only did he say it happened, but said he was a part of it and signed over his rights.... He never had any rights to the name.

And in Axl's mind, he probably sees the negative things Slash has said as a direct attack on his attempts to ressurect his career, which he's alluded to that there have been legal things between he and Slash that were major road blocks in that.

Clearing this up is very touchy. I think if Slash went on the Trunk show and just totally cleared the air, instead of the "no comments" he always does, and Axl actuall came out and said what the problem is between them... It would go a long way.

I think we have a winner here, I mean letting rumors that do damage like that float around for I dunno how long?  And then expect the man to just pop up like Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka when he was faking being crippled with that cane, with a big smile on his face like nothing happened. Then again he, Axl, did also do some sh*t so maybe  hell I dunno things are too jacked to even go back to the way they were or start over on fresh terms, who knows, none of us will truly know the whole story.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

still insane....maybe should have thanked Billie Joe for giving him props....

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Axl, please: shut up already!

Why don't you release statements regarding a new album?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I seriously didn't plan on or expect the overwhelmingly positive response and public support for my decision regarding the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. With such a generous outpouring of solidarity from fans, media outlets, writers and other artists, I'm truly humbled, blown away and unbelievably relieved!

What the hell is he talking about? He's being ripped by the fans.

Board footer