You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Tour or album

metallex78 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

They came to Oz in 2007 and again in 2010.

Missed them in 2010, but in 2007 they were great.
Heard great reviews of the 2010 shows too.

I'd definitely see them if they came down again, as I'm kicking myself from missing them in 2010. Bad timing, I had no money, and what little did have, I already spent on the Metallica tour which was the same time.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If Axl could play by something even close to the rules, they could kill in the US headlining a tour with other 80s bands.  That would mean showing up on time (even if they are last), sharing the cash, and not shitting on the opening acts, so it isn't likely to happen, but it is a way they could be successful in the US and get people to see that the band while it isn't the GnR people loved still puts on a good show most nights.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

We'll probably have someone leaving (probably Bumblefoot), a period of absolute silence followed by a bunch of leaks, then a replacement for Bumble, a "riding the leaks moment" tour and an album two years later.

Think 2006.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:
Ben Matlock wrote:

Voted silence but like some others I believe one or two people will exit stage left. Any member not interested in a nostalgia head trip and wanted to move forward will finally bail. All major departures in the CD era seem to be for that reason and the nostalgia is worse now than it was then.

I don't really see the reason for anyone to leave at this point.  The paycheck is good, and they're free to work on other projects when GNR isn't active, and there's been a fair amount of free time in the past.  DJ has managed to release an album for Sixx AM while in GNR. Tommy is still working with Soul Asylum and they have an album coming out.  Ron has worked on solo stuff and toured with Lita Ford.  Richard has done solo stuff and toured with Thin Lizzy.  Frank, Chris, and Dizzy all have their side projects.  I don't think their work in Guns N' Roses is holding them back all that much.

I'm sure they'd all like things to be handled a little differently and for the band to actually "move forward", but it's out of their control.  If they want to quit on principle then I guess I could see that, but business wise it wouldn't seem like a smart idea.

The same could have been said before each departure in the CD era.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

True, but Robin had NIN to fall back on.  Buckethead was already an established solo artist.  Brain had a kid.  Is that the excuse we're going with why he left the band and never returned?

I just don't see why guys like Chris, Tommy, Dizzy, Richard, or Frank would leave now.  I could see DJ if they wanted to take Sixx AM to another level, but as long as Motley Crue is active I don't see that happening. 

Ron would be the prime candidate for leaving the band, just based on his health.  Whether that would be a valid excuse or not, and I think it would be, he could always cite his health for a reason to leave the band.  The others, I just don't see it.  But you are right in a way, it's happened before, so you never know for sure.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

True, but Robin had NIN to fall back on.  Buckethead was already an established solo artist.  Brain had a kid.  Is that the excuse we're going with why he left the band and never returned?

I just don't see why guys like Chris, Tommy, Dizzy, Richard, or Frank would leave now.  I could see DJ if they wanted to take Sixx AM to another level, but as long as Motley Crue is active I don't see that happening. 

Ron would be the prime candidate for leaving the band, just based on his health.  Whether that would be a valid excuse or not, and I think it would be, he could always cite his health for a reason to leave the band.  The others, I just don't see it.  But you are right in a way, it's happened before, so you never know for sure.

Take into account that after the Bucket and Finck departures, both almost immediately had new releases on store shelves. Yes Bucket has always been prolific but his output went WAY up once bailing from the Chinese fiasco. So yeah, leaving the band to do productive things is certainly a major reason for leaving.

As for 09-12 members leaving, they can leave for the same reasons. These people aren't getting any younger. At some point a musician wants to create and actually release music without being tied down to GNR. It's a nice paycheck and they get to tour every few years on the old band's hits but other than that, there's no reason to be in the band because it's not a real band.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I get that, and it makes sense.  But most of the guys have been a part of album releases during their time in GNR.  So it's not like their day job (GNR) is holding up their creativity process in other avenues.

Nine Inch Nails was a more relevant band than GNR when Robin made the jump.  Bucket doesn't seem to care about popularity, so he was fine with going back to a much smaller stage and pumping out albums every few months. 

I don't know see many similar scenarios with the guys this time around.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Outside of Bumble I dont think anyone will quit, for the simple reason that Axl only has a few more years left in him, so why quit now when for just a little while longer you can keep collecting the best paycheck your ever gonna get in your life.
Pitman, Dizzy, Frank, Tommy will end up on the trash heap after GNR, Richard and Ron have better chances of keeping busy but will take a serious hit on income. DJ has the best future since he can go back to Sixx Am and he's now a bigger name than he was.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I totally agree that it seems like Axl's only got a few years left in him, but when you stop and think about it, it's nuts. It shouldn't have to be that way. Look at Nazareth- they still sound good.  On the other hand, they def drop down a few steps to accommodate his aging voice, which Axl has yet to do, to my knowledge.

Board footer