You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: GNR headlining Governor's Ball

BLS-Pride wrote:
faldor wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

He's more relevant than GNR on this line up. There are a few more hip hop acts performing too.. Not their crowd. Not at all. They stick out like a sore thumb. Hope they play well and show the audience a good time but I doubt many will be paying attention. I've been too this festival before. I can't see it working.

Wouldn't mind going again and seeing The Avett Brothers and Nas though. Few others on that list as well. Rest are crap.

To me it seems like a diverse group of acts, from all sorts of genres.  So I'm not sure why GNR would be any more out of place than a Kanye West.  To think that people in that crowd wouldn't enjoy hearing SCOM or PC is a little hard for me to believe.  It's not like they're going to launch into Right Next Door To Hell and Back off Bitch. 

The music isn't the problem, it's the perception.  So my point about Kanye stands.  He isn't the most positively received artist in the music industry over the years.  Yet the outrage is over Axl Rose and his hired guns?  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Obviously I have a biased opinion and I don't personally have a problem with Kanye.  But it just seems odd.

There are a bunch of other hip hop acts on the bill so Kanye actually fits in. Not to mention hes played this festival before. GnR are the only true hard rock/classic rock band there. The crowd would receive him much better than Axl and his band.

johndivney wrote:

on one hand the whingers have a point - why let one bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch, right?
on the other hand, what a bunch of spoiled rich white kids.

when i first read this i was pissed off. then i was pissed off at GnR fans. how come none of us/them/you guys are willing to defend them. GnR fans should be writing to the festival organisers congratulating them on putting GnR on the bill.  GnR fans should be out in force defending their band instead of letting little shitbags get away w/this crap!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't see the difference between GNR and Kings of Leon on this bill. Both are non rap, rock acts no?

johndivney wrote:

hipsters tend to like kings of leon.
they don't like axl or gnr.
it's how they've been trained.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Lol, of course.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Kings of Leon and GNR are nothing a like.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

More alike than Kanye West. But I guess they both have the hip if not the hop.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Kings of Leon and GNR are nothing a like.

I was going to bring them up, but I agree with you that they're really not alike.  But Kings of Leon is at least a rock band. 

Again, I don't think the issue is the type of band that GNR is, or the type of music that they play that makes them "out of place".  It's because some guy doesn't like what Axl Rose does or stands for, so he's trying his best to make his voice be heard.  Obviously, I realize he's not alone and he probably has gotten a lot of support to his cause.  Just seems like an insane waste of time to me.  I mean seriously, if you have a problem with Axl, just leave the festival before GNR takes the stage at midnight.  It's really that simple.  I find it extremely lame when people try to prevent others from doing their jobs.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

There are a bunch of other hip hop acts on the bill so Kanye actually fits in. Not to mention hes played this festival before. GnR are the only true hard rock/classic rock band there. The crowd would receive him much better than Axl and his band.

Well, as the organizer said, they're trying to branch out and become even more diverse.  The addition of GNR certainly accomplishes that.  The lineup is all over the place, is my point.  So I don't see how GNR makes it any crazier.  Someone who likes Dinosaur Jr. likes Kings of Leon, Erykah Badu and Nas, but not GNR?  None of it makes any sense to me.

Sky Dog wrote:

honestly, who gives a fuck...it's one show. If you can survive Reading and all the other crap, you can survive this. Puss lineup, they kick ass...guaranteed. Easy money....a shitload of hardcore New Yorkers will show up and carry the day.

Board footer