You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: House of Blues Houston, TX - May 28th 2013

Olorin wrote:

Whatever incarnation of freaks or regular rock dudes he had behind him, it was going to take regular releases of original music to give the band an identity, thats where the battle was lost. They wouldnt  have had the mega commercial success  of the old band but they would have something much more valuable and respected than what they have now in the karaoke caberet act, and something more fullfilling for all of them.

But Axls the boss, they are his employees, he steers the ship and they do what they are contracted to do. When they go into the studio that will require new contractual agreements and its that mild headache that, in my opinion, is why Axl is happy enough to keep with the status quo and avoid the possible repeat of the personal nightmare that was the making of Chinese Democracy.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

apex-twin wrote:

That's true, but his intention was clear. Make the best album you can.

The delays and mishaps had him ridiculed all around, which must've been a hard pill to swallow in the midst of working on the album. I mean, many people labeled it shite way before it was ever released (leaked). That's not exactly an encouraging setting.

The best case scenario would be for the new album to appear one day, without any warning like Bowie's The Next Day.

I was thinking a similar approach since I've been listening to songs from that album lately. Wouldn't shock me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's a pipe dream.  There's no way in the world that freak show from 2002 was ever going to be accepted as GnR.  That was over as soon as the VMAs happened.

2002 band was amazing they take massive shit on current incamation.

And that's fine if musically that's your opinion.

In reality the current fans have this revisionist history thinking the 2002 band was gonna save the world.

I remember the day after the VMA's, and GN'R were the talk of the radio & TV.

NONE

N-O-N-E

Of it was good. They were slammed unmercifully, Axl was called fat & washed up. He was compared to being a lost Kid Rock knock off (which is a HUGE slam). Everyone wanted to know where Guns N' Roses were. Eyewitnesses at the show were saying how the audience seemed confused, expecting to see Slash & Izzy & Duff, and didn't recognize anyone, Axl included. Most slammed his voice as shit, the new song in the medley ("Madagascar") was slammed as a piece of shit, and so on and so on.

There's a reason when in 2006 when John Norris asked him about that performance, Axl described it in one word -- "castastrophe".

That singular appearence, with that band, that circus, buried Axl's reboot dream for Guns N' Roses in a mere 9 minutes. Even Axl knew it.

Axl sorely under-estimated image. Regardless of Slash. If the current band had been the ones there instead, playing an "If I Die Tomorrow" song, it might've been a different story. But all of that is could've, would've, should've.

In reality with Axl's voice in the condition it was in 2002... Axl should've been nowhere but at his house. NO ONE was ever prepared to accept Mickey Mouse-Axl as Axl Rose. 2006 was the moment.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Defiantly agree 2006 was the moment if there ever was one. Axl was firing on all cylinders. Seemed hungry and wanted to grab rock by the balls again. He was lean and mean man. Fucking rock and roll. He had a fire again about him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't really understand why people love the 2002 band so much these days.

I enjoy Robin in NIN a lot but he doesn't play Slash's solos very well. He got better at it by 2006, but even that was well under the standard fans of the guitar parts would expect, and in 2002 it was downright awkward to watch.

Buckethead is an amazing guitarist but was hopelessly un-utalised in GNR. Most of the time he's relegated to playing open chords even though he can play the pants off nearly anyone. Meanwhile his stage persona is drastically at odds with the image of the band, and his writing style is entirely incompatible with ALL of the bands previous work and mostly suited to instrumental and experimental music. He's a cool artist but really don't see why on earth he should be in GNR.

2002 Axl often lacked the form, rock-god appearance and stage presence he brought to the table in 2006, and of course in his time with the old band.

Frankly, I think the modern line up blows all previous new-gnr lineups off the stage - with the exception of Axl's vocal chops which seemed to be in better shape from 2006-2009ish than at the moment.

Of course if we're going to play "what Axl should have done" - my vote would have been - rather than quit the old band and try and hire back his former partners as employees - the band should have remained equal partners and gone into some kind of Metallica style therapy.

This could include: getting the drug addicted into rehab sooner, working out how to maintain a relationship with Izzy, encouraging Slash to be more willing to work on NIN style tracks in addition to the classic rock vibe of the band, helping the others understand Axl's lateness and quirks, helping Axl to handle delegating authority better and working on his communication with bandmates so that he wasn't talking through lawyers - hiding behind his management and not showing up at writing sessions until everyone else left and so on.

The main difference between AFD GNR and post UYI GNR seems to be that the guys stopped being able to hang out and talk freely - instead of it being them against the world they turned on each other and it seems to be a long chain of people misunderstanding each other and not putting up with each other's bullshit very well (of which all members had some).

So yeah, rather than work out a way to fix the 2002 band, I think somewhere around that time the GNR guys should have regrouped and worked out their issues once and for all.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I think they're a good band, they put on a great show, but the older and chubbier Axl gets the more I realise the New GNR dream is dead, he started this new incarnation of GNR in his 30's, he's managed one album that took a zillion dollars and a zillion people to make and now he's a 50 something busting out Dead Flowers or AC/DC tunes to pad out his sets, they are going nowhere.
Just drink it up and enjoy it for what it is, I'd go to a show near me in a heartbeat, cant imagine a better night out to be honest, but creatively this old fella is at the end of the road, catch him before he's pushing up daisies and cherish the memories.

That's precisely how I feel. A few years ago I saw the light and realized this was pretty much all we're going to get. I will now only see them if they are local. No more big ticket GNR weekends that included travel, hotel, meals, tickets etc. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on other things.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's a pipe dream.  There's no way in the world that freak show from 2002 was ever going to be accepted as GnR.  That was over as soon as the VMAs happened.

2002 band was amazing they take massive shit on current incamation.

And that's fine if musically that's your opinion.

In reality the current fans have this revisionist history thinking the 2002 band was gonna save the world.

I remember the day after the VMA's, and GN'R were the talk of the radio & TV.

NONE

N-O-N-E

Of it was good. They were slammed unmercifully, Axl was called fat & washed up. He was compared to being a lost Kid Rock knock off (which is a HUGE slam). Everyone wanted to know where Guns N' Roses were. Eyewitnesses at the show were saying how the audience seemed confused, expecting to see Slash & Izzy & Duff, and didn't recognize anyone, Axl included. Most slammed his voice as shit, the new song in the medley ("Madagascar") was slammed as a piece of shit, and so on and so on.

There's a reason when in 2006 when John Norris asked him about that performance, Axl described it in one word -- "castastrophe".

That singular appearence, with that band, that circus, buried Axl's reboot dream for Guns N' Roses in a mere 9 minutes. Even Axl knew it.

Axl sorely under-estimated image. Regardless of Slash. If the current band had been the ones there instead, playing an "If I Die Tomorrow" song, it might've been a different story. But all of that is could've, would've, should've.

In reality with Axl's voice in the condition it was in 2002... Axl should've been nowhere but at his house. NO ONE was ever prepared to accept Mickey Mouse-Axl as Axl Rose. 2006 was the moment.

I never thought that 02 band could save the world WTF ? but they sure as hell were zillion times better than current glorified, touring machine and they had chance to pull off decent success with regular releases. Like I said many times, two lead guitarists don`t work in GNR there was no place for Robin finck in that band when you have guitarist like Buckethead , you don`t bring another lead player in. I still can`t figure out what the hell Pitman`s job is. Axl should have condensed 02 band to six member lineup and dropped Chinese Democracy somewhere around that same year. Yes, MTV performance sucked but there were other great and critically acclaimed shows from that period. I find obssession over looks and image idiotic to be honest, who gives a fuck how musicians look, they can look like cyclopes all I care,  as long as they deliever music but unfortunately that was n`t the case with " New Guns N`Roses ". If 02 band was a freak show then, what do you have Now ? a glorifed, touring, jukebox nostalgia act with no sign of progress, a punchline ? " lead guitarist " who`s a complete Slash knock off and can t even cover his parts properly ? that was n`t the case with 2002 band back then, Axl cared now, he does n`t give two shits about anything except fronting a cover band and wasting his talent and potential.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The VMAs 2002 were a giant clusterfuck, but it was all on Axl – there was a genuine curiosity among the wider public about the other band members, and particularly about Buckethead. I mean, this was 2002; musicians in freaky masks were common currency at the time. But Axl ruined it all by turning up fat, out of shape and out of breath – and instantly made himself into a running joke.

I maintain that if he'd done the exact same performance but with his 2006 look and voice, it would've gone down as a spectacular VMAs moment. And if he'd gone out there with his 2006 look and voice and belted out TWAT, Chinese Democracy would've been an instant hit.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree, a great Axl and that would over come the lack of original members to a small degree.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'm surprised he's held out for as long as he has. Since 95 pretty much everything he's done and said has been hated on by the old band, the record company and the fans. Thinking about it like that it's not too strange he's now doing the nostalgia act. Why should he apply himself? Most people give him shit anyways. The people like us, who are anticipating any new music he creates can't number much more than in the few thousands these days.

Board footer