You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: How many commericals will Slash appear in for 2008?

20. All of them for Chinese Democracy. It's an elaborate promotion plan.

nugdafied wrote:

It's cool as hell seeing Slash's career flourish these last few years. From Grammy's to Guitar Hero, the man is on a roll.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

It's cool as hell seeing Slash's career flourish these last few years. From Grammy's to Guitar Hero, the man is on a roll.

I wouldn't exactly call raking in cash as a PR puppet for big business playing old material flourishing. Selling out perhaps.

In fact I truly detest the path some of the members of my favorite band are taking. Izzy, and to a degree Axl, seems to be the only ones with a shred of integrity left.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
russtcb wrote:

It's looking as if this thread is being directed (and maybe was intended in the first place) at taking shots at Slash.

I'm not sure exactly why people want to do that, but it just doesn't seem logical to me.

Well, it's not exactly unwarranted.

I could draw some parallels to another section and another member...

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

It's looking as if this thread is being directed (and maybe was intended in the first place) at taking shots at Slash.

I'm not sure exactly why people want to do that, but it just doesn't seem logical to me.

Agreed. If people want to recognise him as a rock icon and he can benefit from his talents  and 'brand' then so what? Good for him. It all reeks of jealousy. 'Oh no, Slash has been made the face of Guitar Hero'. We'll I cant think of (m)any other people worthy of that title anymore.

People should be grateful that he's the only one keeping the GNR name in the press anymore. If it wasn't for him then GNR would rarely get a mention in anything apart from some rag having a dig at their inability to release albums.

As for how many adverts will he appear in this year - well I don't care. He's obviously in demand and its good to see him doing stuff.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I don't get this "artistic integrity" vs. "selling out" bullshit that people go on about.  People go into the music business for money and fame above all else.  If GNR or anyone else got into it to be artists and relay a message, we'd have never heard of them, plain and simple.  In any event, they released music to appeal to the masses for fame and fortune.  Instead of becoming a broke has-been, Slash has chosen to embrace his celebrity and earn money in the process.  What's wrong with that?

And pro-Axl anti-VR fans make me laugh on this subject.  Whenever Slash appears in the media, he's touted as either Guns N' Roses or ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist.  Either way, that's free promotion for Axl and the boys.  As long as Slash is getting the name out there, you people shouldn't complain.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I don't get this "artistic integrity" vs. "selling out" bullshit that people go on about.  People go into the music business for money and fame above all else.  If GNR or anyone else got into it to be artists and relay a message, we'd have never heard of them, plain and simple.  In any event, they released music to appeal to the masses for fame and fortune.  Instead of becoming a broke has-been, Slash has chosen to embrace his celebrity and earn money in the process.  What's wrong with that?

I'd say the love for music is the triggering factor for pursuing a musical career. The other shit is of course a big draw for most, but in the end it is secondary. At least it should be (that one's for you Gene).

I accept that every artist needs to make compromises. I don't expect them to be supermen. World is what it is. The line is drawn at necessity. Do you need to make commercials? Do you need to make a fool of yourself with Bill Gates? No, I absolutely don't think so.

Bottom line, all of them are guilty of artistic compromise. But while some seem to have a somewhat conscious relationship to it, others take just about anything they get thrown.

nugdafied wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call raking in cash as a PR puppet for big business playing old material flourishing. Selling out perhaps.

In fact I truly detest the path some of the members of my favorite band are taking. Izzy, and to a degree Axl, seems to be the only ones with a shred of integrity left.

Now that's a pretty dumb post. It's just wrong on so many levels.

Board footer