You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Listened to Libertad yesterday.............

-D- wrote:

And I didn't notice before as bad, but since listening to Slash's solo albums, WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with the guitars on this album?

Jesus, who the fuck recorded this? The guitars sound so thin and almost synthesizer like. No wonder this album shit the bed.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Brendan O'brien was the producer for this album, and I thought it might've been a great album, considering he'd recorded with Pearl Jam and STP, but you're right, the guitars sound shit.

Slash is buried in the mix, and Dave Kushner's parts sound terrible too

Definitely Slash's worst album

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

lol, yeah the Brendan O'Brien thing never made sense on this albums final sound.  The guitars sound like a toy Wazoo from what I remember, yet his work always had great lo-fi raw honest guitars. yet Libertad just seemed overproduced or like he went for a pre-packaged alternative sound (Matchbox20, Third Eye Blind) and it just ruined it.  That & the songs were just very short & basic. I thought I recalled Duff wanting to help write & do choruses to American Man yet Scott refused?  Could be heresay but I could see that song having a Paradise City type extended chorus.

Cool thread, I've been meaning to give this album another listen, lol.  It's been years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Amazing when it came out there were songs we loved... Just like new Slash.. But then when you watch that UYI documentary, you realize how badass GNR was and it all pales in comparison..  Psycho Killer is one of the better songs... and it is a cover.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I went to Hastings and it was 2.99 brand new, I had a 45 min drive home, so thought fuck it.

Started listening and truly was blown away by what I heard after all these years. not in a good way. Songs I used to think were ok, now were complete avg to shit. People are mixed on Myles and his voice/lyrics, but Slash's guitar work on Slash, AL and WOF are undeniably bad ass, at least sonically... Here, I was mortified listening to this. Makes  you wonder how Slash ever approved these final mixes???

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

In Slash's defense, I think he was quite heavy into drugs during the recording of this album, before he finally got sober afterwards.

I hated the lead single, She Builds, and still do. Sounds like a rip off of a bad U2 riff.

There are moments here and there that aren't too bad, and some cool solo parts here and there too. But due to the bad guitar sound and poppy mix, I just don't like it at all.

Probably the only Slash album I don't listen to these days

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hadn't thought about this album in many years. I just remember it was not very good. Best two songs from those sessions was Psycho Killer and Messages, which didn't even make the album.

I'll give it a spin tonight.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I still love Let It Roll, She Mine, Last fight, Grave Dancer, Don't Drop that Dime, American Man is listenable still, Can't get it outta my head and of course Messages is fantastic.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

D that is 8 songs... Can't be terrible if you like 8 songs.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I used to like Libertad, not listened to it in a long time though. I always thought it was a decent overall album just lacked any obvious strong singles. Messages is still one of the strongest songs any past/present GNR member has been involved with in or out of GNR.

Board footer