You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Reunion @ Soundwave

Will wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Did Izzy ever discuss working on those TSI songs?  I know he didn't give many interviews during that time frame unfortunately.

I don't recall ever reading anything about them. I only have a couple of interviews from that time period and no mention of Spaghetti. There's this cool video of Izzy/Duff jamming some TSI backstage:

Also, throw me in the list of people who was listening to Spaghetti the other night. It's awesome, don't know why I don't listen to it more. I thought the "Izzy versions" surfaced years ago on HTGTH by williambailey along with the UYI Q-Sounds?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

ALL the Izzy tracks surfaced?  I know I definitely no longer have them and if I do, like that crappy Nightcrawler song, they're on a disc buried in a closet.

Would love a fresh listen of those songs.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

It's surreal discussing this subject knowing there's an actual chance however remote of it occurring. In all previous years of it being discussed it was just pie in the sky, wishful thinking bullshit.

elevendayempire wrote:

Realistically, I'd expect a "reunion" line-up to consist of:

Axl
Slash
Duff
Fortus
Dizzy
Pitman
Ferrer (maybe Sorum, depending on whether the Axl or Slash camp is running the show)

Question:

How is Pitman being in the lineup realistic?  No offense to Pitman whatsoever but he isn't needed for anything in a reunion. Dizzy is all that's needed in that department and if a reunion happens, I would like AFD to be performed in its entirety in the middle of the set and Dizzy is backstage while we're hearing AFD how it was meant to sound.

I don't want Frank either. Hope all CD members are kept a light year away from this. IMO Fortus is the only realistic CD era member who has a snowball's chance in hell of being involved.

Well, I'm trying to come up with a realistic line-up. An AFD-era reunion is a fantasy; it just isn't going to happen. No promoter is going to take a chance on a tour that includes Axl (whose reputation for late starts precedes him), Izzy (who may at any time decide to wander off to find himself in Tibet) and Adler (a flaky ex-junkie who could fall off the wagon at any time). Hell, IIRC Izzy didn't show up to a couple of the Vegas shows he was supposed to be appearing at.

Bluntly: no-one but the hardcore fans care who the drummer and the rhythm guitarist are; not least because those two roles were already swapped out at the height of GN'R's fame. The casual public trade in icons; they will call it a reunion if Axl, Slash and Duff are up there; and even Duff isn't really essential to the vast mooing herd that will be buying tickets.

Axl's crafted a well-oiled touring machine over the last few years, one that operates at the scale a reunited GN'R would expect to play at. Slash plays small venues like the Hammersmith Apollo; while Axl's playing arenas, which are closer in scale to the stadiums that a GN'R reunion tour would be playing. So you have to think of it in terms of Slash, Duff and possibly Matt "plugging into" Axl's existing tour setup (as, indeed, Duff has already done). Axl has a tight, proven rhythm section in Frank and Fortus. They've worked with Duff before, too. So why would you take a chance on Gilby – a touring guitarist who did a stint with the band 20 years ago – and Matt? And even in this new era of thawed relations, Axl would probably want the majority of the band to be "his guys". Dizzy, well he's been there since the UYI days, and fits into the framework of a reunion. Pitman might as well be there, especially if you're looking to a future of writing new material; he's one of the key songwriters of the new band, and I suspect Axl would be more comfortable having him around. It suggests that any writing would be forward-looking, rather than just slapping some half-arsed vocals on generic rock riffs from Slash.

The hardcore fans can be catered for with crowd-pleasing guest appearances from Izzy and Adler, and maybe Matt and Gilby (in the manner of Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on the recent Rolling Stones tour). I'll note that I was at the O2 gig where Izzy turned up, and half the crowd members around me – the people who'd been loudly parroting the line that "Axl broke up the original band, man, and it's not the same without Slash" – had no clue who he was.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

elevendayempire wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It's surreal discussing this subject knowing there's an actual chance however remote of it occurring. In all previous years of it being discussed it was just pie in the sky, wishful thinking bullshit.

elevendayempire wrote:

Realistically, I'd expect a "reunion" line-up to consist of:

Axl
Slash
Duff
Fortus
Dizzy
Pitman
Ferrer (maybe Sorum, depending on whether the Axl or Slash camp is running the show)

Question:

How is Pitman being in the lineup realistic?  No offense to Pitman whatsoever but he isn't needed for anything in a reunion. Dizzy is all that's needed in that department and if a reunion happens, I would like AFD to be performed in its entirety in the middle of the set and Dizzy is backstage while we're hearing AFD how it was meant to sound.

I don't want Frank either. Hope all CD members are kept a light year away from this. IMO Fortus is the only realistic CD era member who has a snowball's chance in hell of being involved.

Well, I'm trying to come up with a realistic line-up. An AFD-era reunion is a fantasy; it just isn't going to happen. No promoter is going to take a chance on a tour that includes Axl (whose reputation for late starts precedes him), Izzy (who may at any time decide to wander off to find himself in Tibet) and Adler (a flaky ex-junkie who could fall off the wagon at any time). Hell, IIRC Izzy didn't show up to a couple of the Vegas shows he was supposed to be appearing at.

Bluntly: no-one but the hardcore fans care who the drummer and the rhythm guitarist are; not least because those two roles were already swapped out at the height of GN'R's fame. The casual public trade in icons; they will call it a reunion if Axl, Slash and Duff are up there; and even Duff isn't really essential to the vast mooing herd that will be buying tickets.

Axl's crafted a well-oiled touring machine over the last few years, one that operates at the scale a reunited GN'R would expect to play at. Slash plays small venues like the Hammersmith Apollo; while Axl's playing arenas, which are closer in scale to the stadiums that a GN'R reunion tour would be playing. So you have to think of it in terms of Slash, Duff and possibly Matt "plugging into" Axl's existing tour setup (as, indeed, Duff has already done). Axl has a tight, proven rhythm section in Frank and Fortus. They've worked with Duff before, too. So why would you take a chance on Gilby – a touring guitarist who did a stint with the band 20 years ago – and Matt? And even in this new era of thawed relations, Axl would probably want the majority of the band to be "his guys". Dizzy, well he's been there since the UYI days, and fits into the framework of a reunion. Pitman might as well be there, especially if you're looking to a future of writing new material; he's one of the key songwriters of the new band, and I suspect Axl would be more comfortable having him around. It suggests that any writing would be forward-looking, rather than just slapping some half-arsed vocals on generic rock riffs from Slash.

The hardcore fans can be catered for with crowd-pleasing guest appearances from Izzy and Adler, and maybe Matt and Gilby (in the manner of Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on the recent Rolling Stones tour). I'll note that I was at the O2 gig where Izzy turned up, and half the crowd members around me – the people who'd been loudly parroting the line that "Axl broke up the original band, man, and it's not the same without Slash" – had no clue who he was.

If it ever does happen, I see this as the most likely scenario as well. I'd be down with this.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Well, I'm trying to come up with a realistic line-up. An AFD-era reunion is a fantasy; it just isn't going to happen. No promoter is going to take a chance on a tour...

Oh I certainly agree its a huge insurance risk. ALL the GNR lineups have had problems. It only takes the smallest thing whether a fan doing something, Axl having a bad day,etc. for shit to go down. Magnify that 10000 with the AFD lineup.

Remember at that Euro show in 06 when Axl was pissed and he just stood in one spot singing Better? Imagine something like that happens at a reunion during a song, Adler looks at him and sees what he's doing, gets pissed, and walks over to him or goes backstage, throws drumsticks, whatever. Don't think I even need to point out the potential for a riot in that situation.

If these guys are ever going to consider pulling the trigger on this, they have a LOT of issues to work out. Even things as small as picking up on mannerisms.

This is a fair point. Sort of like the KISS situation.  Having said that, you have to factor in the media on this not just hardcore fans.  If its an Axl/Slash/Duff/whoever reunion, media will be all over that. At least in the beginning.

If we're talking casual fans of the 2000s, yeah they may not be as concerned. Casual fans from the 80s-90s? They most certainly know who the other members are besides Axl and Slash.

I did love that story Izzy told eons ago where when AFD was at its peak in popularity he would ride the bus in LA and no one recognized him. 16

You're right though, I can picture it in my mind....stadium pitch black, Slash does that Jungle intro, lights come on, Axl screams, crowd goes bat shit crazy. They've got the crowd on their side from that moment forward even if Pee Wee Herman is on bass.

If a reunion is in the early planning stages I look forward to seeing how this plays out and considering how Slash and Duff interact a lot with the media,  I look forward to hearing the reasons why certain members were involved or not.

the vast mooing herd that will be buying tickets.

Good points on Axl's recent tours. I need to watch a few shows because I was completely MIA from the GNR world past few years. Hard to judge in this area because we have no idea the magnitude of a reunion. Will it be the hardcore fantasy of a global sold out stadium tour, an arena tour, clubs and arenas, a one off,etc.?

The possibilities are endless.

As far as new music goes, I could see a scenario where Pitman would be involved in that aspect but it would be strange. IMO this scenario most realistic if he were going to allow old members to rework some CD vault tracks. I'm not interested in CD II being "finished" again. I want it as close to that 2001 lineup as humanly possible.

I'll note that I was at the O2 gig where Izzy turned up, and half the crowd members around me – the people who'd been loudly parroting the line that "Axl broke up the original band, man, and it's not the same without Slash" – had no clue who he was.

Damn.

This is due to being out of the public eye for so long. Hell I remember when he released that album Concrete(love the title track) it was basically the way Bucket would release an album. He just threw it out there and didn't promote it at all. He could have got attention for it by simply doing one interview and mentioning Axl's name for better or worse. He did nothing.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The usual.

Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah has now broken his silence about the persistent rumours. Speaking to Music Feeds, Maddah said that fans should not expect Appetite for Destruction-era Gunners at Soundwave 2016.

“It’s been nice for me personally to share this fantasy for a few days along with the fans but it is not happening for SW16,” the festival founder said.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The usual.

Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah has now broken his silence about the persistent rumours. Speaking to Music Feeds, Maddah said that fans should not expect Appetite for Destruction-era Gunners at Soundwave 2016.

“It’s been nice for me personally to share this fantasy for a few days along with the fans but it is not happening for SW16,” the festival founder said.

As is often the case, the choice of words is interesting.  It may mean nothing; it may mean something. 

To quote Yoda (sort of) "A rumor misheard may have been" meaning that 16 isn't the year.  Most of us knew that with Slash's album coming and Axl supposedly in the studio with Pitman wrapping up his leftovers/remix/whatever it is album.  Once both these things happen, all possibilities are out there...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If you want to read into words, here is the whole thing. He does a lot more talking than he needs to one might say.

Speaking tonight to Music Feeds, Soundwave boss AJ Maddah has finally spoken about the rumour, after uncharacteristically keeping quiet on Twitter and to the press. Unfortunately for GnR nuts, the titans of rock will not be at SW 16, as Maddah notes below:

“It’s been nice for me personally to share this fantasy for a few days along with the fans but it is not happening for SW16. I sure hope those guys do get back together again as there has never been, or as far as I am concerned ever will be such a potent force for rock’n roll than the original GNR in full flight.”

AJ continues that if Guns N’ Roses were to ever reform and head out on tour, it would take a hell of a lot more time than the rumoured January trip for SW16:

“If it does happen it is going to take longer than 6 months for the band to be ready to tour. I think it’ll take a hundred lawyers 6 months just to get the 5 of them into a rehearsal room together.”

Maddah does however put his hand up to be the man who brings out a reformed Guns N’ Roses, if it were to happen in the near future:

“But if by a miracle it does happen, then of course, I’ll throw everything I can to be involved and it would be my last act as a promoter as after that I’ll have nowhere to go!”

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/aj-maddah … ne-rumour/

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I know im late to the party...and i saw that the promoter has confirmed this untrue

But a one off show would have to be the afd classic lineup

I would think that a reunion tour would be something like Axl, slash, duff, dizzy then whoever the hell they cared to ask for drums & rhythm...

Board footer