You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Tommy's status...hmmmmmmmm

James wrote:

If they got [the modern lineup] together again and wanted me to play, of course I’d have to think about it.”

Most interesting part of the interview.  He said not sure about another run, which fans assume would involve another album and tour and not just nostalgia .

I'm in the minority that thinks there isn't a band period. Tommy  chiming in on the matter reinforces that point.

I remember in his 09 interview saying they didn't have another 10 year wait in them. It's been 7 years since CD.  I think Tommy did the math and sees the writing on the wall.

Tommy and the rest of that 01 lineup deserved so much better than is.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree Lofton. They deserved better but am sure they were paid well.

So what is Axl actually doing now? Slash is still writing and touring. Duff? Screwing off with KOC along with Matt and Gilby. Where is Izzy?  Fortus is out of loop now.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Which I think is a bit cynical.

Not cynical, just realistic. Calling a spade a spade. Just like Fortus, when referring to the GNR camp he uses "they" and not "we".  That is significant.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm guessing this is the same as after any tour?

Nope. After the 02 tour implosion and the band going 4 years without being in the same room Tommy still talked about what was going on with GNR/CD and did not refer to GNR as "they". This is a 180 on Tommy's part.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

So what is Axl actually doing now? Slash is still writing and touring. Duff? Screwing off with KOC along with Matt and Gilby. Where is Izzy?  Fortus is out of loop now.

Retired for now then a reunion in 2017 for the 30th anniversary they will do a hand full of shows then you'll never see or hear from him again

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think you are right Gibbo.

James

James wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Retired for now then a reunion in 2017 for the 30th anniversary they will do a hand full of shows then you'll never see or hear from him again

I'm leaning in this direction as well. My only hope is he unloads CD II before that happens. The window for GNR to do anything is incredibly small.  If he has ditched CD II and locked it in his vault(very likely), IMO we wont see him resurface until a 2017 reunion. Like you said, he'll go out in a blaze of glory with the old band. Would be a perfect final chapter to GNR. Just sad that so much talent and potential was squandered 96-present day. sad

Tommy leaving is even going to get people that never believed it could happen getting stoked for it. Years ago even the most hardcore new GNR fans always said if Tommy leaves its a sign that a reunion is on the horizon.

Well guess what? 16

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It's pretty evident the band as we knew it unofficially dissolved after Vegas. I said when Ron left it was a matter of perception, if GNR aren't touring there was nothing to be part of anyway so his vague in/out comments didn't mean much. Clearly it's all a bit less abstract than that and there is no band left to leave.

Axl has essentially been GNR for 20+ years now however this is the only time he seemingly has no band mates. Slash, Duff etc all left one at a time and were replaced as they left. It would appear now that GNR is literally just Axl. The anti reunion brigade always said a reunion couldn't happen because Axl wouldn't just drop the new guys, it would be disrespectful etc etc. It seems to me in one fell swoop he's managed to cull the entire herd. Not saying it's for a reunion but it's certainly one less obstacle.

Sky Dog wrote:

good post Private...agree. Contracts up. Save some cash. Work with the existing songs you have. Plot your next move. We will hear that music someday whether it is released as Guns N Roses, released as a solo project, etc. He won't bury that much unreleased stuff. Personally, I would love to see Axl drop a 3 disc Chinese box set  like the Beach Boys did with Smile. "The Chinese Democracy Sessions"..... Then, consider the biggest cash grab of them all.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What makes you think we'll never hear from him again?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

good post Private...agree. Contracts up. Save some cash. Work with the existing songs you have. Plot your next move. We will hear that music someday whether it is released as Guns N Roses, released as a solo project, etc. He won't bury that much unreleased stuff. Personally, I would love to see Axl drop a 3 disc Chinese box set  like the Beach Boys did with Smile. "The Chinese Democracy Sessions"..... Then, consider the biggest cash grab of them all.

I think he definitely could. Don't underestimate the determination of Axl Rose.

But he's bound to get old and die like the rest of us, usually that's when vaults are cleaned out. Or is it possible he could block that as well?

Board footer