You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 9 - Riad N' The Bedouins

Neemo wrote:

Riad N' The Bedouins was written by Axl Rose and Tommy Stinson and first performed live at The House Of Blues Las Vegas, Nevada on Jan 1, 2001

After the Chinese Democracy album was released, a copyright infringement claim was made on behalf of German Electronic Musician Ulrich Schnausson, GnR Managment counter claimed that the Ambient Noise clips were obtained legitimately

It has been suggested that the song may be in part written about unrest in Saudi Arabia

Also there is a traditional Arabic love story titled Hadith Bayad wa Riyad which seems to bare similarities to Romeo and Juliet, albeit with a happier ending, from what I understand a Syrian merchant son, Bayad, falls in love with a wealthy Iraqi daughter, Riyad. A lady of the court (her mother?) ultimately approves of the Union and they live happily ever after

the lyrics of the song itself speak of anger, betrayal, frustration and salvation, perhaps intertwining one or both of the above scenarios romantically with Axl's struggles and triumphs in the continuation of GnR after the departure of the remaining members of the original band, since tommy is co-writer of the track, it would suggest it was written after Duff MacKagan's departure in 1997 and Stinson's arrival to GnR in '98. Narrowing the songs origins even further, Buckethead, who was in GnR by 2000, Robin Finck and Brain seem to figure prominently in the song's arrangement with noticeable additions by Bumblefoot prior to the album release.

*just my rambling thoughts on the track...I don't claim that any of this is actually true smile

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Riad never really appealed to me, seems to fit well with me, kinda reminds me of the band Prodgidy, and that whole dark electronica/rock scene, the guitars themselves have a very high pitched harsh sound to me and the bumble additions seem like a blatant paste job on a finished track, like the bumble solos sound like a newer recording...over an old recording...I dunno maybe it's just me...also sound like robin was messing with a delay unit, perhaps trying to recreate some wttj inspiration.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

CDChiDemRedHand37.JPG
^ Image from troccoli's website which has a little more background info on Riad smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Prodigy neemo? Silkworms always reminded me of Prodigy. Riad sounds like Praxis and I always said Riad is like the bastard child of Crash Victim.

I always wanted the full story on how this was recorded. Stinson gets the credit(deservedly so) but the song is nothing without Buckethead. I've wondered if the two collaborated together in the studio even though there was animosity between them. I like to think the song is a bit organic and not just cut and paste like most of the album. Riad is one of the few songs on the album where I can picture the band together in the studio playing this song.  The album version has Bucket's solo removed and Ron's pasted in which just kills the flow of the song.

IMO Riad is the best song we've heard musically from the CD sessions that shows the potential of that 2001 lineup.  Other songs like TWAT and Sorry show their potential too but they're just kicking tons of ass on this song. Axl was the weak link on this specific track. IMO it should have been an instrumental on the album, or have Riad not be on the album but instead a B side for a single.

That story behind the meaning of Riad is bizarre. Also the fact that guy inspired Civil War, one of GNR's best songs.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

I wasn't too sure what to make of it judging from the live-performances in 2002. The 2008 leak surprised me positively however. I grew to like it.

Replacing any of Bucket's parts with stuff from Ron was a huge mistake.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I always liked this song, even when all there was were live clips. I disagree on Axl being the weak link, I really like his vocals on the chorus.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Prodigy neemo? Silkworms always reminded me of Prodigy. Riad sounds like Praxis and I always said Riad is like the bastard child of Crash Victim.

Ha, good catch!

Only, to me, CV goes deeper into that style and has a more effective bassline. 

Still, during Bucket's solo, Brain kills it. What a band.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

How many alternate demo cuts of the song are there? ISTR there was the Buckethead-solo version, then the Skwerl demo, then the final version with the longer intro.

AtariLegend wrote:

I liked this track. Can not understand how this got voted off and yet Bumblefoot's rape of Catcher survived.

Pre Bumblefoot I don't get anything "copy & pasted" about it. It's the band rocking out and unlike Shacker's Revenge it doesn't have that 2nd 40 second verse of "I don't want to believe it" that divides opinions before the track ever gets to the solo.

Are we going to talk about?

Irving Azoff wrote:

“The band believed when the record came out and still believes that there are no unauthorized samples on the track. The snippets of ‘ambient noise’ in question were provided by a member of the album’s production team who has assured us that these few seconds of sound were obtained legitimately. Artists these days can’t read the minds of those they collaborate with and therefore are unfortunately vulnerable to claims like this one. While the band resents the implication that they would ever use another artist’s work improperly and are assessing possible counterclaims, they are confident this situation will be satisfactorily resolved.”

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Prodigy neemo? Silkworms always reminded me of Prodigy. Riad sounds like Praxis.

Yea silkworms is a more direct prodgidy influenced track...but some of the electronica portions still reminds me of a Mashup of prodigy and nin...the sub bass portions remind me of the beginning of a rave...praxis is like primus without Claypool vocals...I could see the cross reference but riad is not nearly funk bass heavy enough...which makes me wonder what tommy contributed to the track...lyrics melody bassline? I dunno...like u I wonder if this song was the beginning of the bh feud with stinson

I think an instrumental song on CD would've caused a riot...lol...A SONG WITHOUT AXL AFTER 14 YEARS!!! Lol

Board footer