You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 8 - Scraped

Neemo wrote:

Scraped was written by Axl Rose, Buckethead and Caram Costanzo, first played live on Dec 16, 2009 in Osaka, Japan

The song itself is arguably the heaviest song on the Chinese Democracy Album, and although Buckethead is credited on the track, it seems that Bumblefoot plays a large roll in the final recording. It has been insinuated that the working title "The Lies They Tell" ultimately turned into Scraped

Axl displays an impressive High/Low Vocal switch mid phrase during the chorus' and stays in tune...its pretty awesome if you ask me

The "skip" on the word catastrophe I felt gave this song a sour taste in many peoples minds off the bat and therefore scraped was never given a fair shot, I also believe that glitch is intentional...I think Axl even stated as much in his MyGnR chats

THe lyrical content seems to go from self doubt to extreme confidence, like a bi-polar mood swing, with the vocal pitch mimicking this idea, with the underlying idea of "don't listen to what other people have to say, you can do whatever you set your mind to"

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah the glitch was amateur hour and I don't believe it was intentional.

I will never like this song. Horrible intro and I always cringed when hearing "Don't you try to stop us now". Ugh. They did everything in their power to stop themselves. I could picture this as an anthem for that 2001-02 lineup IN 2001-02. In 2008 and beyond?   hell no.

Never should have been on the album.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Agreed.

What I also find disppointing is that they re-named some songs and chose titles that sound worse than the orginal idea. 'Lies They Tell' or 'The Blues' were much better titles than 'Scraped' and 'Street Of Dreams' imo.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I prefer The Blues as well.

In all fairness to Axl, at one of those 2002 shows he actually says The Blues is a working title. I don't remember which show he said this. Having said that, fans and media had used that song title for so long he should have just left it as is.

Scraped sounds like a Bucket song title. That's probably why he went with it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah the glitch was amateur hour and I don't believe it was intentional.

I will never like this song. Horrible intro and I always cringed when hearing "Don't you try to stop us now". Ugh. They did everything in their power to stop themselves. I could picture this as an anthem for that 2001-02 lineup IN 2001-02. In 2008 and beyond?   hell no.

Never should have been on the album.

Yeah, the intro is one of the worse things on this album.  It sounds like he just kinda mailed it in lyrically too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The live intro is cool.

I like Scraped, musically very strong.

The funny thing is, the reviews liked Riad and Shacklers, the most polarizing songs amongst fans.

AtariLegend wrote:

What major publications that gave the album positive review praised Shackler's? I like Riad (even though I won't claim it's one of the best tracks on the album).

I think Shackler's/Scrapped, Riad and probably Catcher's got threw on the album, because the album was mostly full of leaks and tracks floating around for years and they didn't want to throw any tracks that could be part of the core of another album on it.

Anyone got the album cover with the alternative track listing? The one that looks like Chinese Democracy, but was posted before the album came out that opens with "The General" (I think)? Can't find it atm.

-edit-

Nevermind found it.

28b5wxy.jpg

That leaves;

Shackler's Revenge
Scraped
Riad & the Bedouins
Catcher in the Rye
This I Love
Prostitute
Silkworms

As tracks not intended for the 1st album at one point, most likely before the leaks.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The least finished track on the album reminds me of Axl trying to bridge the gap back to the Appetite sound

And this

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

definitely the weakest song of the album. chaotic mess combined with Axl N' The Chipmunks. as much as I really like Riad and absolutely adore Shackler's Revenge, this is poor.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

badass instrumental with some of axl's all-time wackiest vocals. the intro is hilariously awkward and out of place. the verses sound like each line was sung during a different year, in a different studio with a different axl. his pitch is shifting all over the place and i'm pretty sure the vocals are heavily auto-tuned. that may have been the effect axl was going for... but i don't really buy that. seems like axl just went in and half-assed the vocals to get the song on the album, so that he could save the "big guns" for the 2nd and 3rd parts of the trilogy.

Board footer