You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Oh My God

Neemo wrote:

Written by Axl Rose, Paul Tobias & Dizzy Reed, first performed live on Jan 1, 2001 at the House of Blues in Las Vegas Nevada, the song is only available on the End Of Days Motion Picture Soundtrack

Axl wrote:

"So here's the story behind this music...

"The chorus: OH MY GOD etc. deals with the societal repression of deep and often agonizing emotions -- some of which may be willingly accepted for one reason or another -- the appropriate expression of which (one that promotes a healing, release and a positive resolve) is often discouraged and many times denied. Emotionally the song contemplates several abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from the film (End Of Days) and its metaphors. The appropriate expression and vehicle for such emotions and concepts is not something taken for granted."

"Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.' "

"Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration -- it is an association in which we have always felt honored."

"Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White."

"The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression that many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada,

Axl

Q: I love Oh my God, but it really sounds like a demo, why? I'm sure we all would love a new version.

A: Because that's all it was, only at the time having just got it together only Jimmy Iovine knew that who wanted it to sell their soundtrack. I saw segments of the movie which were good. As a whole later not so much but it wasn't ready yet then. I did write an experimental piece inspired by the bits I'd seen called "Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?" ;D (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com forum, Dec. 2008)

Q : What does the future hold for 'OMG'?

A: There’s a remix w/lots of new vocals and a wilder guitar intro but it’s not taken all that seriously. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com forum, Dec. 2008)

I, like most feel the negative public reaction to the song cause Axl to change his tune and call it a demo

For some reason, despite comments from Axl above, I feel this song is about Duff's departure and in general the breakdown of the orig gnr

The vocal effect that Axl uses reminds me of The Garden of Eden

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I fucking love this track despite it being messy at times and not really having a full band in the mix. It's mean, dark, crazy guitars, and a fun listen overall. It's the industrial rock sound that CD was going to shoot for which I really dig. I would of loved to see this song performed live more. It's a shame before Ron and DJ left, that they didn't try to play it live again besides one rehearsal for it in several years.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

I kid you not, OMG was the song that got me into GN'R in the first place. I was still pretty young - maybe around 13 years old (my guess is that it was in 2001 or early 2002) - when I first discovered it for myself. I must have had heard some of the hits before, but somehow I hadn't really gotten into them. I found OMG by chance in a MP3 collection my uncle had given to me. I got so hooked by it that I went on to go through all of GN'R's albums trying to find out where it came from. Obviously I found something else. A year later I had ALL solo releases up to that point and half of my lifetime later I'm still here following every bit of news smile

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I didnt like it much when I first heard it, but it grew on me.  By the time CD came out, I was disappoint the album didn't sound more like OMG (had avoided the leaks so I didn't know what to expect).

I suspect that the reason it didn't take off had more to do with people blaming Axl for the break up, and less to do with the quality of the song.

Me_Wise_Magic

RaZor wrote:

I didnt like it much when I first heard it, but it grew on me.  By the time CD came out, I was disappoint the album didn't sound more like OMG (had avoided the leaks so I didn't know what to expect).

I suspect that the reason it didn't take off had more to do with people blaming Axl for the break up, and less to do with the quality of the song.

I tend to think that as well. Also the movie being not very good didn't help matters much either. Even with Arnie's star power.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

I like the direction the song goes at 1:46

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Love this song.    Wish it had a proper release somewhere other than some obscure soundtrack.

Me_Wise_Magic

Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Love this song.    Wish it had a proper release somewhere other than some obscure soundtrack.

Same here man!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd love to hear a version with bucket. I really want to hear the full Silkworms demo. It was never a song I ever really cared for and always thought it was the wreakest of the new era songs... Until I heard that snippet. The guitar, Axl's banshee wails and filtered static vocals were insane.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'd love to hear a version with bucket. I really want to hear the full Silkworms demo. It was never a song I ever really cared for and always thought it was the wreakest of the new era songs... Until I heard that snippet. The guitar, Axl's banshee wails and filtered static vocals were insane.

Its always been assumed that both tracks came from the 2000 Intentions sessions. I wish more info had come out about that. An outrage that he wasn't asked about it by anyone during those chats. Pretty much last chance saloon for info on it. I doubt its ever brought up again, especially by the media.

Board footer