You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Guns N' Roses-Velvet Revolver hybrid?

tejastech08 wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-m … s-n-roses/

On Duffs appearance with GUNS N' ROSES in London came about:

"Things happen, in life, pretty crazy at times you least expect things to happen.

"I haven't talked to anybody publicly about it. And really, it's kind of... I know we're public figures, or whatever you wanna say, but it was kind of a private matter even though we played together on stage in front of 14,000 people or something.

"Over the years, especially in business and what-not, if you have a fracture in business, you start to demonize each other and if it's a public fracture in business, other people help you demonize...

"It was kind of goofy... As soon as I played last Thursday, my e-mail was just going crazy... It was Rolling Stone [magazine] and whatever or what-not. 'Can we get a quote or statement?' And I don't have a statement.

"It's really not that big of a story. It was really kind of... It was great.

"I got to London last Thursday. I was there on separate business — a separate business even from music. I checked into the hotel in London I stay at all the time. And the hotel manager came, 'Hey, Duff, we'll show you up to your room.' He goes, 'So you're playing tonight?' And I said, 'No, no, I'm here on just business this time — I'm not playing this time around.' And he looks at me strangely. 'What? You're not playing tonight?' I had no idea Axl [Rose] and GUNS N' ROSES were in London — I had no idea. So we're going up the elevator and he said, 'You know, Axl is in the room next to us.' And I had to go straight into meetings. All the meetings were... I was staying in sort of a conference room and bedroom — it was a conference room on one side of the wall and the bedroom on the other. And I went straight into these meetings and these were with sort of Wall Street people. So it was very serious meetings I was into, something I had worked on for a year. So I'm in these meetings and my phone starts ringing later on in the day in my hotel room; it was kind of managers and tour managers. The word [was] out I [was] in the hotel. And it came down to the simple fact... Axl and I just sort of met up, we saw each other and we hugged. I went down to the gig with him. There were a couple of guys hanging out. There was a lot of, sort of... Like what I was saying, you go through a lot of stuff in business and there's some fractures and demonizing of each other and I think, if nothing else, a couple of old friends maybe got over some of those hurdles and had a nice talk. And I don't want to do anything here to cheapen that by saying anything to you guys, but we had a nice dinner the day after the show, and that was it."

On hanging out with his old buddy again:

"Yeah, I missed it. I did. I missed it. And it couldn't have happened in a more odd way, really."

-------------------------------
During a 2009 interview with Billboard, Rose insisted that he will never share a stage with former GN'R guitarist Slash again. "One of the two of us will die before a reunion," Rose said. "However sad, ugly or unfortunate anyone views it, it is how it is." He also said, "I could see doing a song or so on the side with Izzy or having him out [on tour] again. I'm not so comfortable with doing anything having more than one of the alumni. Maybe something with Duff, but that's it"
------------------------

We thought it was a big deal at the time but as we wait 5 years on for the announcement of a full reunion (of sorts) it makes you appreciate what a water shed moment this chance Duff/Axl meeting probably was.

God bless the hotel manager. Seems he deliberately put them in the rooms next to each other once he realized they were both there, lol. I just wish this situation occurred 10 years earlier, that way the reunion tour would've happened in 2006 when Axl was in great shape both physically and vocally.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

tejastech08 wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-m … s-n-roses/

On Duffs appearance with GUNS N' ROSES in London came about:

"Things happen, in life, pretty crazy at times you least expect things to happen.

"I haven't talked to anybody publicly about it. And really, it's kind of... I know we're public figures, or whatever you wanna say, but it was kind of a private matter even though we played together on stage in front of 14,000 people or something.

"Over the years, especially in business and what-not, if you have a fracture in business, you start to demonize each other and if it's a public fracture in business, other people help you demonize...

"It was kind of goofy... As soon as I played last Thursday, my e-mail was just going crazy... It was Rolling Stone [magazine] and whatever or what-not. 'Can we get a quote or statement?' And I don't have a statement.

"It's really not that big of a story. It was really kind of... It was great.

"I got to London last Thursday. I was there on separate business — a separate business even from music. I checked into the hotel in London I stay at all the time. And the hotel manager came, 'Hey, Duff, we'll show you up to your room.' He goes, 'So you're playing tonight?' And I said, 'No, no, I'm here on just business this time — I'm not playing this time around.' And he looks at me strangely. 'What? You're not playing tonight?' I had no idea Axl [Rose] and GUNS N' ROSES were in London — I had no idea. So we're going up the elevator and he said, 'You know, Axl is in the room next to us.' And I had to go straight into meetings. All the meetings were... I was staying in sort of a conference room and bedroom — it was a conference room on one side of the wall and the bedroom on the other. And I went straight into these meetings and these were with sort of Wall Street people. So it was very serious meetings I was into, something I had worked on for a year. So I'm in these meetings and my phone starts ringing later on in the day in my hotel room; it was kind of managers and tour managers. The word [was] out I [was] in the hotel. And it came down to the simple fact... Axl and I just sort of met up, we saw each other and we hugged. I went down to the gig with him. There were a couple of guys hanging out. There was a lot of, sort of... Like what I was saying, you go through a lot of stuff in business and there's some fractures and demonizing of each other and I think, if nothing else, a couple of old friends maybe got over some of those hurdles and had a nice talk. And I don't want to do anything here to cheapen that by saying anything to you guys, but we had a nice dinner the day after the show, and that was it."

On hanging out with his old buddy again:

"Yeah, I missed it. I did. I missed it. And it couldn't have happened in a more odd way, really."

-------------------------------
During a 2009 interview with Billboard, Rose insisted that he will never share a stage with former GN'R guitarist Slash again. "One of the two of us will die before a reunion," Rose said. "However sad, ugly or unfortunate anyone views it, it is how it is." He also said, "I could see doing a song or so on the side with Izzy or having him out [on tour] again. I'm not so comfortable with doing anything having more than one of the alumni. Maybe something with Duff, but that's it"
------------------------

We thought it was a big deal at the time but as we wait 5 years on for the announcement of a full reunion (of sorts) it makes you appreciate what a water shed moment this chance Duff/Axl meeting probably was.

God bless the hotel manager. Seems he deliberately put them in the rooms next to each other once he realized they were both there, lol. I just wish this situation occurred 10 years earlier, that way the reunion tour would've happened in 2006 when Axl was in great shape both physically and vocally.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Duff had been trying for years to get back into GN'R; given that, I suspect the meeting was far from accidental.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Duff had been trying for years to get back into GN'R; given that, I suspect the meeting was far from accidental.

The meeting was over 5 years ago. That rumor about him trying to get back in for years is a recent rumor, so I would think he was trying to get back in the band after that meeting and playing on stage with them.

elevendayempire

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The meeting was over 5 years ago. That rumor about him trying to get back in for years is a recent rumor, so I would think he was trying to get back in the band after that meeting and playing on stage with them.

No, I remember reading at the time (or soon afterward) that Duff had been trying to get back in. I'm sure there's more to that meeting than a chance encounter, and they've just put about the story that it happened completely by accident. Whether it was engineered by both parties or one of them, it's just a bit too convenient to be true. Duff just happens to be staying in the same hotel as Axl, on the same floor, and he had no idea that Axl was in town? And it just happens to lead to Duff being invited on-stage, and then invited to perform with GN'R for a leg of the tour, and then to... well, whatever's set to happen in the next couple of days.

Remember that GN'R's manager back in the '06-'08 days (Azoff? I think it was him) was trying to engineer a reunion by forcing Robin out of the band and bringing in Slash and Duff – so the idea must have been floating around back then.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

elevendayempire wrote:

Remember that GN'R's manager back in the '06-'08 days (Azoff? I think it was him) was trying to engineer a reunion by forcing Robin out of the band and bringing in Slash and Duff – so the idea must have been floating around back then.

Merck was manager in 06, then I think Doc someone in 07 and then Azoff in 08.

Azoff was the guy well known for engineering reunions. Once CD was out it was clear what his next move would be. Shortly after he and Axl parted ways. Azoff pushing for a reunion is not the same thing as Duff and/or Slash wanting back in.

elevendayempire

A Private Eye wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Azoff was the guy well known for engineering reunions. Once CD was out it was clear what his next move would be. Shortly after he and Axl parted ways. Azoff pushing for a reunion is not the same thing as Duff and/or Slash wanting back in.

Yes, but for Azoff to push for a reunion, he would presumably have to have put out feelers to Duff and Slash. Axl wasn't responsive to it then, but who knows what Duff and Slash thought of it? Given the way things have unfolded, I just can't believe that Duff being in that hotel, at that time, was an accident.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yes, but for Azoff to push for a reunion, he would presumably have to have put out feelers to Duff and Slash. Axl wasn't responsive to it then, but who knows what Duff and Slash thought of it? Given the way things have unfolded, I just can't believe that Duff being in that hotel, at that time, was an accident.

It was Doc, he was after Irving. And insiders were saying both Duff and Slash had put feelers out to get back in the band before that meeting. And the rumor is Doc set up the meeting between Duff and Axl.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

One thing we haven't discussed is why Slash suddenly want back in the band. For years we've been hearing Slash is doing great on his own, and he is, but now he wants back under Axl's thumb? Surely he can't believe it will be that much different than it was, no matter the promises. And for a guy with a public profile like his, is the money really that enticing?

Supports my pet theory he never really wanted to leave. It was just a power play gone wrong.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

One thing we haven't discussed is why Slash suddenly want back in the band. For years we've been hearing Slash is doing great on his own, and he is, but now he wants back under Axl's thumb? Surely he can't believe it will be that much different than it was, no matter the promises. And for a guy with a public profile like his, is the money really that enticing?

Supports my pet theory he never really wanted to leave. It was just a power play gone wrong.

I think at this point he wants to do it for the fans more than anything else. Same goes for Duff. Neither of them need the money or the bullshit associated with Axl Rose.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

That's what MSL said is the case, power play gone wrong.

I think the gate incident was an honest account of his feelings, that he was unhappy in VR, with Scott, not collaborating with Axl, maybe sentimentality, regret, leaving something he helped build and his relationship with Axl both personal and artistically.

Board footer