You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Guns N' Roses-Velvet Revolver hybrid?

polluxlm wrote:

I don't buy this doing it for the fans. Where were those concerns when they left the band in the first place? Why would they suddenly accept the bullshit associated with Axl? He hasn't changed, they know it as well as we do.

They didn't need the money in the mids 90s, but perhaps they do now. Families, ex wives. It adds up.

Or these "problems with Axl" were exaggerated from the get go.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't buy this doing it for the fans. Where were those concerns when they left the band in the first place? Why would they suddenly accept the bullshit associated with Axl? He hasn't changed, they know it as well as we do.

They didn't need the money in the mids 90s, but perhaps they do now. Families, ex wives. It adds up.

Duff said that his wife getting pregnant made his decision to leave very easy. I think he just needed to get away from the huge rock band thing altogether. And Axl has changed at least a little bit. When is the last time he caused a riot? I could see Slash looking at that and thinking it's at least a little better than the old days because Axl has chilled out some.

AtariLegend wrote:

One of the things I had a doubt about initially when the rumors started swelling about reunion, was the idea that if anything goes wrong it's all going to be blamed on Axl by the press and the hardcore. Anything that goes well on this tour, is just going to be put the fact that Slash is back.

I think that'll be the case even if Axl showed up in 2006 beast mode (voice) and looking he did when he was 27.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

mygnr is shut down maybe due to traffic.  is axl posting there under dexter?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

One of the things I had a doubt about initially when the rumors started swelling about reunion, was the idea that if anything goes wrong it's all going to be blamed on Axl by the press and the hardcore. Anything that goes well on this tour, is just going to be put the fact that Slash is back.

I think that'll be the case even if Axl showed up in 2006 beast mode (voice) and looking he did when he was 27.

2006 he should have worked out a deal with Bucket, dropped CD as a double album, toured the fuck out of it and gracefully ended the CD era in 2008. Goddamn. 2009 could've brought Slash and Duff back and I guarantee you beast mode Axl (haha!) would have carried through '14 with a stadium world tour. I don't think Ron or DJ inspired Axl at all. And I think it showed as that tour progressed.

johndivney wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Duff said that his wife getting pregnant made his decision to leave very easy. I think he just needed to get away from the huge rock band thing altogether. And Axl has changed at least a little bit. When is the last time he caused a riot? I could see Slash looking at that and thinking it's at least a little better than the old days because Axl has chilled out some.

i don't know about this. the last riot was 2002?? i think the chances of people rioting at a GnR show are very very unlikely & would depend more on a handful of people in the crowd than on Axl's behaviour. i think the fans & the public are just so war weary of Axl's BS they don't even bother anymore, they just accept it with a shrug & walk off the other way. i think it's more the public & society has changed rather than Axl has chilled out!
i do think tho, in the last tour or so, someone found a way to compromise with Axl (specifically about start times). so yea, maybe he has reined in the nutty, diva-type stuff to a degree. but i cant believe he's suddenly become this affable relaxed carefree guy.
i think, rather than Axl having changed, that it's maybe more Duff & Slash are at a place now where they're easier able to deal with Axl's issues?? whereas before, Slash especially seemed to lose patience with Axl's whims..

going back to polluxlm's post - they're doing it for themselves. someone else said in another thread maybe he fancied a trip back to the top of the mountain before it was too late, & i think that sorta ambition is what's driving it (as well as substantial funds).

if we're taking the current floating 8-man VR hybrid as the lineup atm, who all out of that lineup is sober/teetotal & who still drinks?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Duff said that his wife getting pregnant made his decision to leave very easy. I think he just needed to get away from the huge rock band thing altogether.

From what I recall from Duff's book, he was very fresh into the relationship with his future wife at the time.
They had a holiday in late '96, when Slash had just left and Axl'd sent out his infamous fax to MTV.

Early '97. Robin is enlisted. Duff plays with him a few times. Guns is in a flux.
Duff learns his girlfriend is pregnant with his baby. Time for a rethink.

He opted to become a family man. By the looks of it, he made a good call.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Duff said that his wife getting pregnant made his decision to leave very easy. I think he just needed to get away from the huge rock band thing altogether.

From what I recall from Duff's book, he was very fresh into the relationship with his future wife at the time.
They had a holiday in late '96, when Slash had just left and Axl'd sent out his infamous fax to MTV.

Early '97. Robin is enlisted. Duff plays with him a few times. Guns is in a flux.
Duff learns his girlfriend is pregnant with his baby. Time for a rethink.

He opted to become a family man. By the looks of it, he made a good call.

He made a great call. Axl's GN'R has been very inactive for so many years and Duff got to spend quality time with his family. That decision also probably helped him stay sober and get stronger in his will to resist those temptations.

Board footer