You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Guns N' Roses Member, Elimination Round 2

AtariLegend wrote:

THE MEMBER WITH THE MOST VOTES ADVANCES to the QF to face the winner of our first contest. http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13594

tommy_1.jpg

vs.

Ron-bumblefoot-Thal1.jpg

Voting closes in 48 hours.

Vote for your Favorite

Tommy Stinson 81%
Bumblefoot 19%
Total votes: 16

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm voting Tommy.

Bumblefoot might have been great to the community, but as before I really don't think he should have been included on the album. It's Tommy who was the victim just as much as the fans, Tommy was a great bassist. The bass is just buried under bad mixing and we can tell that by the demos.

This guy was involved for almost 20 years, it's a shame no one's ever going to know outside a "fan board" what his contributions really where.

There's something about that moment when Tommy and Axl hug.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

I too am voting Tommy for he is a decent chap who as you say was involved with the band for a very long time. I like Ron, it was nice watching him play with the band...but I am not too fond of his "clues are out there" statement. I wish he had handled it differently.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Bumble

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Tommy for sure. He brought INSTANT cred to Axl's new GNR. That late 90s lineup was awkward and not impressive on paper. Tommy really stood out. In hindsight it was a mistake to not have him doing interviews at the time but since nothing was really happening, I guess there was no reason to. He wasn't properly utilized in the early 00s when the band was active. Tommy got active with interviews during that silent era(03-05) and he got a lot of shit for it(including from me) but it wasn't his fault. Fans were just sick of how it was playing out so we took it out on him, Dizzy, Fortus, and Brain.

In those years Tommy actually gave some info that was much more interesting in hindsight. Wanting to shit in Bucket's bucket, claiming CD would not be a long album,etc. that was given out of the current known context at the time. It makes sense now. His interviews post album release were the best we got from any member. The fucked up saga made so much more sense after he talked about it.

I also like his contributions to the songs and its really unfortunate he was buried in the final mix on the album. I still cant hardly believe he wrote Riad. I'd like a more in depth info on how that track came about. It sounds like a Bucket song through and through yet he gets no credit.

I agree 1000% with atari on Ron. He shouldn't have been within a light year of a studio. He ruined several songs but in his defense it is not his fault. He was not in the band when they recorded so he was asked to just whip up a bunch of solos and other noodlings so Axl could paste them in to already finished songs. They did not mix his additions to the songs into the tracks very well. Even someone who knows nothing about the album/band would be able to tell where he comes in just by how high he is in the mix.

IF adding him, the whole album should've been rerecorded by the then current band OR not add Ron until they decided to work on a second album but we know how that turned out.

I was too harsh on him those first couple years about his live playing. He did the best he could and wasn't even allowed to have the songs in his possession to learn them. He basically winged it and that fact itself shows his talent.

No matter what happens he will always go down as the most fan friendly member of the band. Our site was the first one he joined and he participated here more than he did any other GNR site and this site had a fairly large Bucket fan base. He walked into a hornet's nest and won people over. While he didn't post he most certainly read the discussions here. He never said it but I know he didn't like me. When I was the one that had to moderate that second chat, there was like 20 people in there. He said hi to each and every person in the chat except me. 14 He did answer a couple of my questions though.

Had Ron went against Fortus I would've voted for him. My new appreciation for Tommy after the leaks and 09 interviews seals my vote for him.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Another vote for Tommy here, because I agree with James' comment that Tommy gave new Guns a lot of credibility smile

Nothing against Bumble. I think he's the only GNR member past or present to have ever visited this site which wins him a few points, just not enough to see him through to the next round 19

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Tommy. The man's a badass. Ron is a class act though and I dig his guitar playing.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Tommy was cool.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Tommy. I wish Ron wasn't forced to redo Buckets parts on some of the CD songs. No chance he did them any better. Shackler's, for instance.

AtariLegend wrote:

Alot of the comments in the Stinson thread at MYGNR atm are really fucking shameful. Makes me embarrassed to have ever registered to these forums.

Looks like though our first Quarter Final is going to be between Tommy/Bucket after the first set of rounds are done. That said tomorrow we'll probably see the most lopsided contest so far tongue.

Board footer