You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Eddie Trunk Thoughts on Reunion

Smoking Guns wrote:

http://eddietrunk.com/15-my-latest-on-t … nion-news/

January 5, 2016 By Eddie

Well after months of speculation we now have confirmation of a Guns n’ Roses “reunion” of sorts. In one of the worst kept secrets ever it was finally made official the band will headline Coachella in CA in April.

Strong rumors suggest there will be a couple warm up dates and then more extensive touring after Coachella if it goes well and the offers are what they expect.

But things are far from cut and dry here because there is no confirmation yet on who actually will be in this version of GnR besides Axl, Slash and Duff.

Now for many that’s all they need. But for just as many they are hoping for the original 5 still at some point in the show. Since all official releases have only listed Axl, Slash and Duff it’s clear this is really going to be a mix of old and new Guns it would seem.

But the reunion aspect and the entire billing is all about the 3 members in the press releases, which also included individual photos of each guy.

My take is that they don’t quite have this all figured out just yet. They had to announce Coachella because it’s a festival with many other bands (very little of interest to hard rock/Guns fans), it was leaking out everywhere, and tickets are going on sale.

But I would hope for and expect a press conference and more details, dates, and band members to be released as they get closer and sort through everything.

My sources have told me current GnR drummer Frank Ferrer will be retained and play the bulk of the show, with perhaps a guest appearance from Steven Adler and Gibbo if a deal can be worked out. I would suspect the same with Richard Fortus staying, and maybe Izzy popping up.

I would also expect Dizzy and Chris Pittman to stay. I have heard the Dave Kushner rumor but don’t know anything about that and don’t see the connection, but anything is possible.

Axl always liked 3 guitars in the later era Guns so who knows? So what this really looks like now is the remaining current Guns lineup (except Stinson, can’t have two bass players I guess), with Duff and Slash being plugged in, and maybe guest spots from Izzy and Steven.

Is this enough to make long time fans dying for a reunion content? For most yes. For some no. But it will do huge business regardless of the percentage that was holding out hope for an Appetite reunion 100%. That was never going to happen anyway since Guns only really made one album with that band.

I have also been told consistently by many that Matt Sorum is not involved. Read into that what you will. Have not heard Gilby’s name attached either at this point.

I think that all of this is subject to change, but I feel this is where things are at now based on the people I have spoken to. The band members themselves have yet to talk since this went down.

Axl cancelled tonight’s appearance on Kimmel. Likely because there are still questions to be answered and it was too early to answer them.

I’m hoping that there is a proper press conference at some point with all the key players taking questions (I am offering to host it! haha) and laying out the plan. But with the Coachella deadline looming they had to get it out and this is where we are now.

When I know more and there is more news I will post. I am happy that at least the mystery around this is put to rest and Axl and Slash have made the peace enough to reconnect and work together. For how long and how extensively time will tell. But no matter how you feel about where this is at, if you are a rock fan you have to be happy.

Because this is good for rock music. To put it in the spotlight and have people talking and focused on rock is always a good thing in my book. And judging by most of what’s listed on the Coachella bill (again, never a hard rock event), Guns, if they are in good form, should annihilate everyone with real ROCK music!

And that’s always a good thing!! We need these mega bands to keep our music at the top of these massive festival bills and in the conversation. Be sure to follow on Twitter @eddietrunk

eddietrunk.com/15-my-latest-on-the-guns-n-roses-reunion-news/

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Cool am in the band big_smile

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

lol I saw that.  Who did he mean to say?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Can't help but wonder what will happen if/when Axl shows up 2 hours late for a gig. That will be a big test for Slash/Duff. They're gonna make a ton of money, but I remember that aspect of Axl's behavior always bothered them because it made the entire band look really bad with the fans. If this thing succeeds, great. But an implosion would not surprise me.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

I wonder if Axl is still trying to get Izzy to join and that is why they are not announcing the full band yet. Maybe they want work out a few shows with him and they can announce those dates.  I like Fortus so he is fine, way more than Gilby. I don't see the need for Dave, he has never been in guns n roses plus they don't need an extra guitar player. No way Slash is sharing his solos.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

He's basically saying what all of us on the forums assumed/heard from different sources.

Congrats, Gibbo 3 16

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
Aussie wrote:

lol I saw that.  Who did he mean to say?

No one mate i just added that when i posted to him lol

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
supaplex wrote:

He's basically saying what all of us on the forums assumed/heard from different sources.

Congrats, Gibbo 3 16

Thanks mate am very excited  big_smile

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Gibbo wrote:

Cool am in the band big_smile

Can you get me backstage passes? 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Can't help but wonder what will happen if/when Axl shows up 2 hours late for a gig.

Wont happen at Coachella. One of two things will happen if they pull that stunt...

1. Massive riot

2. (more likely) 99% of the crowd leaves before they hit the stage. That crowd isn't going to put up with that shit.

I think we have nothing to worry about. You'll show up to the venue of your choice, hear the opener(or not), GNR take the stage(on time), rock out for 2-3 hours, go home, and they pack up and do it again at the next stop. Repeat.

These guys aren't young rebels anymore. The hardcores, soccer moms, and hipsters filling these venues will go home every night happy.

Board footer