You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You don't like CD?

It's OK but not necessary at all. GN'R last album was 1991. He could have released CD as a solo record while holed up in his mansion instead of giving a bunch of shitty live performances under the GN'R name.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

CD (single) performed better on the Hot 100 than anything from VR

By peak position, yes. But CD only charted for three weeks. Both FTP and Slither had a bit more staying power with 20 weeks each. I think that peak position was mostly due to the name recognition, and the steep drop the result of the lackluster quality of the song. But that's just my humble opinion of course and doesn't add to this discussion. The point is that in overall number of singles sold, FTP and Slither each outsold CD by quite a wide margin.

polluxlm wrote:

so not sure if Duff's post UYI career is that much better than Dizzy's. CD (album) is a decent effort to be part of.

Even if peak position were a good metric, we're talking about his contribution to the single, and good ol' Dizwald doesn't have a writing credit on that.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I think, personally, that the side projects and solo careers needed to happen...there was a lot of huge egos and personal problems back in 93 and some of them didn't get resolved even as recently as 2007

Very true, I think they all needed to prove their worth and status independently so they weren't forced to work it out within the confines of GNR. It's just a shame that Axl didn't have the balls to do it as a solo endeavor, like the rest of them.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

CD (single) performed better on the Hot 100 than anything from VR

By peak position, yes. But CD only charted for three weeks. Both FTP and Slither had a bit more staying power with 20 weeks each. I think that peak position was mostly due to the name recognition, and the steep drop the result of the lackluster quality of the song. But that's just my humble opinion of course and doesn't add to this discussion. The point is that in overall number of singles sold, FTP and Slither each outsold CD by quite a wide margin.

True, but coattailing applies to Duff as well. Is he the draw or is "Original GNR members with Scott Weiland" the draw? And who wrote the hits? Who made them so?

polluxlm wrote:

so not sure if Duff's post UYI career is that much better than Dizzy's. CD (album) is a decent effort to be part of.

Even if peak position were a good metric, we're talking about his contribution to the single, and good ol' Dizwald doesn't have a writing credit on that.

Dizzy is not credited in the liner notes, but he is in ASCAP database. Who knows.

The argument here isn't Dizzy = Duff, but that the only real important members in GN'R are Axl and Slash. Anyone else can be replaced with little commercial effect. If we are talking song writing Izzy is much more important.

For me it would be:

Image: Axl and Slash
Music: Axl, Slash and Izzy

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I think, personally, that the side projects and solo careers needed to happen...there was a lot of huge egos and personal problems back in 93 and some of them didn't get resolved even as recently as 2007

Very true, I think they all needed to prove their worth and status independently so they weren't forced to work it out within the confines of GNR. It's just a shame that Axl didn't have the balls to do it as a solo endeavor, like the rest of them.

Axl didn't want to make GN'R his "solo project". He was willing to do what became "It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere" as a GN'R album.

What he wanted was for GN'R to stay relevant, and he didn't think becoming another AC/DC was the way to go. Slash and Duff's solo careers aren't "balls", they made the music they always made. Many are disappointed with Slash not stepping out of his comfort zone. He didn't make that guitar album so many of his fans wanted him to do. At least Axl did go outside the box.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

What he wanted was for GN'R to stay relevant, and he didn't think becoming another AC/DC was the way to go. Slash and Duff's solo careers aren't "balls", they made the music they always made. Many are disappointed with Slash not stepping out of his comfort zone. He didn't make that guitar album so many of his fans wanted him to do.

My argument wasn't about the music they made, it's about the fact that they went out and made (or tried to make) a name for themselves, prove their worth as iconic musicians without the banking on the GNR name alone. Axl could've done the same and he chose not to, for whatever reasons he might have had. I think we'll agree that if protecting the legacy was one of them, he hasn't been particularly successful on that front. Otherwise this reunion wouldn't have been the big bang it's turning out to be.

polluxlm wrote:

At least Axl did go outside the box.

Really? To me CD is about as derivative of the UYI's as you can get. The only exceptions are Shackler's and Scraped (which I actually like a lot, my favorite tracks on the album), and Riad (ugh...). Axl has just as much of a "go-to style" as Slash.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

True, but coattailing applies to Duff as well. Is he the draw or is "Original GNR members with Scott Weiland" the draw?

It probably made people curious to check them, but them being on the charts for 20 weeks to me indicates that at least some of the success they've had with these singles was due to people liking what they heard.

polluxlm wrote:

Dizzy is not credited in the liner notes, but he is in ASCAP database. Who knows.

That I didn't know, and it's a bit strange actually. No idea what to make of that.

polluxlm wrote:

The argument here isn't Dizzy = Duff, but that the only real important members in GN'R are Axl and Slash. Anyone else can be replaced with little commercial effect. If we are talking song writing Izzy is much more important.

For me it would be:

Image: Axl and Slash
Music: Axl, Slash and Izzy

That's where we disagree, obviously smile. And the current promo activities seem to indicate Axl, Slash and Duff disagree as well, at least as far as the image is concerned.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Part of me is amazed that after all these years, the same argument is talking place while we're on the verge of at the very least something pretty cool for almost everybody.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Depends on what they're doing. If they are going to do a couple warm up shows with Axl, Slash, Richard, Duff, Frank, Dizzy & Chris, then it might be a nice showcase to what they are going to be. Especially if they use those two shows to drop some new stuff on us (long shot, I know).

Us GNR fans are notorious for pipe dreaming about hearing new stuff each time they start a tour. I want new material more than anything but I'm not gonna pipe dream about Atlas Shrugged(or another song) being performed right off the bat. Its not about that now. They are reestablishing themselves and they don't need a new song day one to do it. When SG reunited they played nothing new at their first shows. We got Black Rain a few more months down the road. I expect something similar in this situation.

The trinity will control the info coming out. Not guys like Frank, Matt, Pit....  They are being business men. The "Trinity" will always be unified and not speak out of turn that could hurt the brand. At least for now. They have to be careful during this critical time. By promoting Slash, Duff, Axl, it makes everyone ONLY focus on the Original guys. Your mind cannot get clouded with the hired guns. Everything will start and end with them. They are starting to think like the Stones now. It's about the money. Now is when you kill it. When the stones tour, they aren't propping up Daryl Jones etc.  Very smart and impressive for the three of them.

Agree 100%. Its been marketed this way since before the reunion was announced and the slot machine was very telling on how it would play out.  Its all about Axl, Slash, and Duff and if fanboys get upset that their favorite CD era guitarist isn't included, too bad and its on them because it was never promised or even hinted at. The way this is being handled is starting to make more sense although I do wish SOME lineup could be confirmed but if it doesn't matter who is in the rotating cast....why bother? The world knows its getting Axl, Slash, and Duff so you are getting Axl, Slash, and Duff.

Stones a great comparison. So is NIN but instead of one man(Reznor) its three.

I really believe Richard is going to be very important, especially in the writing department.

We've been hearing this since 2001 how he's a "secret weapon" and is "vital as a creative entity for Guns" and you're gonna hear what I've been saying since 2001.....

he's a touring guitarist at best and any recording he does will be minimal if at all. The leaks and eventual release of CD showed I was right and while people love to still claim he's a secret weapon and contributed more to a second album that was recorded at the same time as the first, I'm sticking to my now 15 year old opinion on this situation.

Yeah I know he's recorded since but that same thing happened in 2004-05.

As far as I can tell the only "secret" is that he isn't required.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Richard, for lack of a better word, was a secret weapon fleshing out Better. I take MSL at his word that Richard is all over CD II and is an important figure behind the scenes in regards to the band.

His playing on the last tour cycle was amazing, IMO.

Board footer