You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: TOMMY STINSON: Classic GN'R Reunion 'Will BeHealing Thing' For Them"

polluxlm wrote:

Keith Richards was right when he told Slash "whatever you do, don't ever leave the band". Everything gets so much harder when you make the ultimatum.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug when the guitarist gets the idea of trying to stone wall Axl Rose. He should have known better if what he really wanted was to be the lead guitarist in GN'R.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug when the guitarist gets the idea of trying to stone wall Axl Rose. He should have known better if what he really wanted was to be the lead guitarist in GN'R.

That's a great point.

Slash knew exactly what kind of a person Axl was and how he'd respond to something like that. I find it hard to recall a distinct incident where Slash would've called out Axl on the spot. During the UYI tour, it was Matt who confronted Axl about being late into the stage. You can image how that ended up. In his book, Duff recalls having nightmares about confronting Axl during the tour.

That's gall, alright. Axl Rose at the peak of his powers was a worthy adversary to just about anyone.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Slash's biggest mistake was talking to the press during that whole thing with Paul. Ironically, Paul was involved in writing one of the best GNR songs in TWAT, which could have easily worked with Slash.

polluxlm wrote:

That is actually a bit unsettling. He is not bringing back Slash because everything is rosy, but because he's too old and tired to try and put a new band together. Could be a case of planets aligning, or it could be a trainwreck waiting to happen.

If accurate it is interesting that all Axl had to do was make the call and Slash is like "yeah I'm in". Lends further credence to my theory he has always wanted back in the band, from the first day he left.

To be honest, at that point, Axl was looking for a reason to bring Slash back, IMO. I don't think DJ ever fit GNR tbh, or the direction Axl had in visioned with Finck and Buckethead. I think the DJ/Ron era was a low period for him artistically.  Where do you go from there?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Aside that, the berating of Paul Huge in public. Imagine Axl, sitting at home, working on his lawsuits - and reading Slash's press.

The sad thing about Huge's involvement is it could've been worked out. I mean...Slash gave it a go...it just didn't work. Eventually and probably sooner rather than later Axl would have noticed that musically it just wasn't going to work.

Yeah....those quotes you posted from Slash during that tour were not smart moves. I remember some of that in magazines at the time. This was before the net was huge and I'd also call that damn 1-900 hotline for GNR. 16

IFOCS actually sells about a million copies over time, his solo career starts to warm up

Yeah some GNR fans seem to forget how that album made some waves for awhile. They were on Letterman...touring with VH...etc. Not sure on how much radio play they got since I was mainly listening to Elastica, Mad Season,etc. and didn't bother with radio much that summer.

, Duff recalls having nightmares about confronting Axl during the tour.

14 Imagine how new GNR members felt.

Ironically, Paul was involved in writing one of the best GNR songs in TWAT, which could have easily worked with Slash.

Absolutely.

I don't think DJ ever fit GNR tbh

I agree and that's when I gave up. I knew nothing was happening when he joined. I had a feeling that the CD project had been abandoned at that point. Nostalgia til the cows come home.

I think the DJ/Ron era was a low period for him artistically.  Where do you go from there?

Neither should've been brought in if he wanted to take Chinese seriously that late in the game. We know he tried luring Bucket back before Hammerstein but he should've tried again(maybe he did) and just kept at it until he gave in. Bucket was very interested in the project those first few years. He MIGHT could've been lured back once the album had a release date and there was a sign that CD II was coming. I also thought Finck should've been brought back as well but only under the same conditions as Bucket. If its just nostalgia you don't need either one and now we see that they weren't needed.

it's not like you hire a bunch of session people and make Guns N' Roses, it doesn't work that way." (Slash, Metal Express, 1995)

Oh really?? 18 Axl will prove you wrong! 16

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't think DJ ever fit GNR tbh

I agree and that's when I gave up. I knew nothing was happening when he joined. I had a feeling that the CD project had been abandoned at that point. Nostalgia til the cows come home.

Now I'm not an Ashba fan and wouldn't have been keen on hearing him on anything, that said... well those set-lists in 09-10 where the point when the set lists started getting a bit more varied and longer compared to previous tours. They didn't always play the same tracks from Chinese Democracy and they started adding in the UYI epics. So it was progression to an extent, even if it was too late.

I know it would have been cool to hear Buckethead/Robin playing bits they actually wrote, but I don't see the intent was abandoned at that point.

I think post the era that started after Rock in Rio 2011 is probably a better argument.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

those set-lists in 09-10 where the point when the set lists started getting a bit more varied and longer compared to previous tours. They didn't always play the same tracks from Chinese Democracy and they started adding in the UYI epics. So it was progression to an extent, even if it was too late.

After that, mainstays like this disappeared.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think post the era that started after Rock in Rio 2011 is probably a better argument.

I agree. That lineup above still sounds wholesome for what it is. Axl's certainly into it.

The 2009-10 tour is what 2002 should've been. Axl was fighting back by renewing his credit as a live act.

AtariLegend wrote:

Okay, then nevermind.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The 2009-10 tour is what 2002 should've been.

I'll go one step further.....if that 09 Osaka set list had been the Rio 01 set list its a whole different ballgame. Such a CD heavy set might have forced the label's hand. He got rave reviews from the media for the Vegas and Rio shows and were positive on the new material but imagine if he had put all his cards on the table? Label couldn't have balked at that regardless of how they personally felt about it. Would've been no need for Ezrin's input that's for damn sure.

Rio 2001

Chinese Democracy
Jungle
It's So Easy
Brownstone
Shacklers Revenge
If the World
LALD
Sorry
Rocket Queen
Prostitute
Street of Dreams
Scraped
YCBM
November Rain
IRS
SCOM
Catcher in the Rye
Out Ta Get Me
KOHD
Whole Lotta Rosie
This I Love
Nightrain
Madagascar
Better
Sonic Reducer(Tommy vocals)
Patience
Don't Cry
PC

Chinese Democracy starts now!

Now I'm not an Ashba fan and wouldn't have been keen on hearing him on anything, that said... well those set-lists in 09-10 where the point when the set lists started getting a bit more varied and longer compared to previous tours. They didn't always play the same tracks from Chinese Democracy and they started adding in the UYI epics. So it was progression to an extent, even if it was too late.

Fair point but like you said.....it was too late.

johndivney wrote:

I'm bringing a Where's Tommy? sign to the gigs.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'm glad too that at least Tommy/Axl didn't part on bad terms it looks.

Board footer