You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

James wrote:

It's over. When a candidate is already speaking in such terms, they're not even trying to win but instead wanting to just hurry up and lose.

Donald Trump told CNBC on Thursday he will either win with his frank and uncensored style of campaigning or
enjoy a "very, very nice long vacation."

Republicans have long hoped Trump will pivot on his behavior, but in the "Squawk Box" interview, he said:

"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth. And if at the end of 90 days, I've fallen short because I'm somewhat
politically correct even though I'm supposed to be the smart one and even though I'm supposed to have a lot of
good ideas, it's OK. I go back to a very good way of life."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/11/gop-pres … trump.html

Today's gaffe was claiming Obama is the founder of ISIS.

What's tomorrow's gaffe? Claiming Hillary was the second gunman on the grassy knoll?'

He's intentionally tanking the election.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It's over. When a candidate is already speaking in such terms, they're not even trying to win but instead wanting to just hurry up and lose.

Donald Trump told CNBC on Thursday he will either win with his frank and uncensored style of campaigning or

Republicans have long hoped Trump will pivot on his behavior, but in the "Squawk Box" interview, he said:

"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth. And if at the end of 90 days, I've fallen short because I'm somewhat
politically correct even though I'm supposed to be the smart one and even though I'm supposed to have a lot of

What's tomorrow's gaffe? Claiming Hillary was the second gunman on the grassy knoll?'

I have thought that for a long time now....I think Trump got what he wanted out of all of this...he never had any intention of winning. This gives him more notoriety, makes him relevant again for when he goes back to private life. Can you imagine the next reality show he's a part of?

I've only been eligible to vote since the Kerry/Bush election...and I've never voted Republican....but he really that party serious harm. Maybe this is what the needed....and undeniable reset button.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

"I'm a truth teller" is a lie. Everything he says is a lie.

oh, and tonight he suggested civilians could be tried in military court. Never mind that whole "Constituion" thing, which he clearly has no understanding of at all.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Trump has never cared about winning.

Tbh, I think he gets off on saying things he knows is offensive and people still follow him. Trump bragging he could shoot someone and people would still vote for him pretty much confirms it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Question to the democrats/independents here....

In an alternate universe of 2016 and Reagan entered the race with the country in the current shape its in.....would you vote for him?

Oh geez....ya know....this is a tough one James....

I was born in the midst of the Reagan era....but I do have concerns....

First, I do not believe that the president has that much control over the economy....I do believe their reactions to the "good times" and the "bad times" yield consequences decades beyond their respective eras.

Things I give him credit for (as I would give any president).....

1) Any president who actually tries to compromise with the minority party is a true leader to me. Those who do not actually cause their own parties' long term harm. Obama did this.

2) He had the balls and the chance to implement a tax policy that was an immediate catalyst for growth. Which it was....but the long term consequences were unintended at best....I've been reading lately that, ironically, the 1964 Republican nominee started this wave in motion. At the moment, I cannot recall his name....but I watched his speech on TV the other night. Honestly, makes me feel this whole thing is cyclical....but I digress.... Maybe Bernie could have the same effect? Coincidentally, the last Republican to lose in an extreme way....so in about a decade we'll have the next Nixon?

3) Almost everyone looks back on the 1980s quite fondly.....I must admit.....it appears to be a decade bursting with creativity artistically. I will forever be grateful for that 5

My criticisms:

1) The economic policy he implemented was short sighted....most economists agree that there are times to raise taxes....the economy is booming....eventually the private sector is flooded with currency that was once controlled by the government. Eventually, even saturated. Then shit occurs in the private sector that is every bit as corrupt as the communists. Sub-cultures form that are every bit as destructive as any repressive government. Problem? Conservatives herald corruption in the private sector and scream from the mountain tops when it comes from government. An unfortunate blind spot....

2) I cannot reconcile this idea that deficit spending, tax cuts, and defense spending is a conservative idea. Reagan won the elections convincingly, only to engage in policies that are the opposite of what we were supposed to expect based on what he said. A big reason I bring this up is, Republicans are constantly guilty of accusing Dems of doing this....when in fact, Reagan did the same thing. It's a policy that yielded great results for him and his era....but an hypocrisy that I do not yet forgive or forget. Especially in these times when I've witnessed the Republicans engage in 8 consecutive years worth of tantrums that resulted in federal government shut downs, down grades in government credit ratings and normal, regular people suffering. The Repubs have shown me over the last 8 years that they stand for nothing.

Off the cuff....those are some of my thoughts....

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Over? He's got his main enemy CNN running headlines saying Obama founded Isis!

As the old saying goes, keep the lie big, keep repeating it and eventually people will believe it. And they're repeating him alright.

Check out his Virginia speech from a few days ago, to the coal miners. This guy can be Presidential if he wants it. I see no evidence he's throwing this. He's doing the same thing he's been doing since day one.

This is basically his strategy:

Never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The Donald Trump Strategy

I think I’ve got it: The explanation as to what Trump is doing, and why it might make a little bit of sense.  The answer is in the communications strategy.  He keeps his name in the news by saying outrageous things.

Everyone reacts- and the media focuses on the reaction.  Trump reacts; the focus shifts to the reaction to the reaction to the original comments (following so far?).  Sometimes he makes it worse, sometimes better.  The point is the focus is throughout the process is on him.  And while it’s on him nobody pays attention to Hillary Clinton’s platform.  Nobody pays attention to Trump’s platform.  And while everyone ignores the issues,  time ticks by, November 8, growing ever closer.

As a strategy it’s brilliant.  It keeps Trump at the centre of the election at all times.  Voters hear his name more, and it sticks.  Name recognition is a huge part of winning an election.  And it doesn’t matter what the candidate says.  He could admit to taking part in satanic rituals, and kicking puppies.  As long as his name stays at the centre of the news cycle then it’s successful.

It’s also a strategy that can be easily taken too far.  His comments at a rally yesterday regarding the second amendment for example.   “Hillary wants to abolish- essentially abolish the second amendment.  If she gets to pick, if she gets to pick  her judges folks, there’s nothing you can do.  Although second amendment people, maybe there is; I don’t know,” he said.

The second amendment deals with the right to bear arms- he speaks of Clinton’s ideas for gun control.  There are different interpretations of his comments.  Some  insist it’s an ill-timed, badly considered joke.  Others say it’s more sinister suggesting the idea/notion of killing Hillary Clinton.  Regardless, you don’t hint/suggest/ leave open to interpretation the concept of murdering a political opponent, especially when your supporters include people crazy enough to do it.

The counter strategy would be ignore him.  If he speaks loudly into a vacuum, and nobody hears, then eventually he might stop.  But that won’t work because ignoring him means ignoring the news.  He’s the candidate for the highest office in the land.  Agree with him or not, whatever he says/ does is news.

The answer might be a shift in focus.  Start asking questions about policy.  Report, but refuse to take the bait on the other stuff.  Expose weaknesses in both platforms.  Explore the different versions of America.  Let the  sensational stuff stand on its own.

https://laurarsteiner.com/2016/08/10/th … -strategy/

misterID

misterID wrote:

He will lose in a landslide.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

What a fucking joke our stupid fucking voters are.  Jesus Christ. 330 million fuckers in this country and we get these 2 cock suckers as our only real options.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What a fucking joke our stupid fucking voters are.  Jesus Christ. 330 million fuckers in this country and we get these 2 cock suckers as our only real options.

SG, you keep throwing out generic terms that she's terrible, but I really have no idea what Hillary did that infuriates you so much.

Board footer