You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

bigbri wrote:

If anything, you could make a case it was biased toward Trump. He was consistently allowed to go over his time limit, interrupt Clinton and Holt, make additional responses not part of the format and get away with several incredible statements that should have been challenged; hell he insinuated China should occupy North Korea, for chrissake.

Artboard%201-1.png

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The rumors are definitely exaggerated. Trump had 11 bad minutes. 1.18 to 1.29. Admittedly very bad, but aside from that he was even or winning. People seem to forget that Hillary was absolutely vapid for most of the time, only making an impact when attacking Trump.

The last 7 minutes he definitely won. He had Hillary listing her congress grilling as an achievement and trying to label equal pay for equal work as a horrible misogynistic statement. He parried nicely too when calling her experience bad experience, and when she descended into paraphrasing Megyn Kelly with the racist and hater claims I think he is the one that tipped her over the edge. Trump's bad stretch was completely his own fault. Nor the moderator or Hillary put him in any spot there, he just farted. Probably not sure what to say and to avoid going into unchartered territory started repeating himself. Not the worst mistake if he avoids it in the future.

Once the novelty of people having another laugh at Trump wears out you'll see republicans and trumpers start to pounce on the fact that Trump clearly won the policy battle. Trump citing the 75% drop in the murder rate in New York over the last decades, and Hillary responding that he needs to stop saying things that just sounds nice but has no stats to back it up. What? I guess a pre rehearsed line that just didn't fit that argument. Trump was the only one to say anything about taxes, the economy, the fed, outsourcing, immigration, inner city violence etc. etc. Hillary was just reciting empty platitudes, reading from a sheet at her desk. She did her attacks on Trump well, but none of them did much damage. She was lucky he screwed himself up for a moment, if not there'd be no doubt he won it.

And how can you say letting them both do as they wished being biased? Maybe that's not good moderation, but it's certainly not biased. The questions on the other hand definitely were extremely biased. Trump getting pressed again and again in places where he's weak. Did Hillary get pressed even once? With her record? The bias was ridiculous in that regard.

It didn't help them though. Trump fucked himself last night. If he can fix that for the next two he'll have all the advantages. Attacking Trump has been Hillary's only game from the start, and so far it hasn't really been all that effective.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Trump constantly talked all over Hillary and Holt. If anybody thinks that's bias for Clinton, I'm not sure what to say. If anything I'd say Holt was MIA, and we were both pointing that out during the debate. Where is the moderator? He's still talking, he's still interrupting...

I don't see how Trump can do any better next time, because this is Trump. He's a one trick pony. This worked for the GOP debates because he had small snippet to work with and a dozen other candidates that needed to talk. In a 1-1 format for 90 minutes he runs out of steam and his shtick only takes him so far.

Exactly, MIA not biased. Probably because it would be making it too obvious if Trump was being reigned in when the moderator wanted to let Hillary get away with another scathing attack, on top of giving him all the tough questions. Worked out though, letting him ramble is what caused him trouble.

You are right that they wore him down, but he also rebounded and won the very end. Hillary didn't look too comfortable either when she had to resort to claims of misogyny and racism. If he gets down and dirty it could get ugly for her.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Trump had one good moment with tpp, and that's because Hillary still hasn't found a way to answer it without sounding like a lawyer. Other than that, he shit the bed. Like I said, people who root for Trump see it differently because he said ridiculous things they want to hear and they really want him to win (like quoting every ridiculous right wing fringe sdite they can find for proof on how awesome he really is). He literally had no answer or plan, it was a typical Trump speech, throw out as many sound bytes as possible without saying anything substantive.

He said he wants to go after Bill's infidelities. Good luck with that.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The rumors are definitely exaggerated. Trump had 11 bad minutes. 1.18 to 1.29. Admittedly very bad, but aside from that he was even or winning. People seem to forget that Hillary was absolutely vapid for most of the time, only making an impact when attacking Trump.

The last 7 minutes he definitely won. He had Hillary listing her congress grilling as an achievement and trying to label equal pay for equal work as a horrible misogynistic statement. He parried nicely too when calling her experience bad experience, and when she descended into paraphrasing Megyn Kelly with the racist and hater claims I think he is the one that tipped her over the edge. Trump's bad stretch was completely his own fault. Nor the moderator or Hillary put him in any spot there, he just farted. Probably not sure what to say and to avoid going into unchartered territory started repeating himself. Not the worst mistake if he avoids it in the future.

Once the novelty of people having another laugh at Trump wears out you'll see republicans and trumpers start to pounce on the fact that Trump clearly won the policy battle. Trump citing the 75% drop in the murder rate in New York over the last decades, and Hillary responding that he needs to stop saying things that just sounds nice but has no stats to back it up. What? I guess a pre rehearsed line that just didn't fit that argument. Trump was the only one to say anything about taxes, the economy, the fed, outsourcing, immigration, inner city violence etc. etc. Hillary was just reciting empty platitudes, reading from a sheet at her desk. She did her attacks on Trump well, but none of them did much damage. She was lucky he screwed himself up for a moment, if not there'd be no doubt he won it.

And how can you say letting them both do as they wished being biased? Maybe that's not good moderation, but it's certainly not biased. The questions on the other hand definitely were extremely biased. Trump getting pressed again and again in places where he's weak. Did Hillary get pressed even once? With her record? The bias was ridiculous in that regard.

It didn't help them though. Trump fucked himself last night. If he can fix that for the next two he'll have all the advantages. Attacking Trump has been Hillary's only game from the start, and so far it hasn't really been all that effective.

You are in the minority by a wide margin if you think Trump held his own.

How can you say Trump was the only one to address the issues?

1) Hillary did indeed mention taxes. " What I have proposed would cut regulations and streamline them for small businesses. What I have proposed would be paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy, because they have made all the gains in the economy. And I think it’s time that the wealthy and corporations paid their fair share to support this country."

2) Hillary did indeed mention the economy. " I don’t think top-down works in America. I think building the middle class, investing in the middle class, making college debt-free so more young people can get their education, helping people refinance their — their debt from college at a lower rate. Those are the kinds of things that will really boost the economy. Broad-based, inclusive growth is what we need in America, not more advantages for people at the very top."

3) She didn't mention immigration. Trump did once, and it was a lie. "In addition, I was just endorsed by ICE. They’ve never endorsed anybody before on immigration. " A government agency would not endorse a candidate. A union endorsed him though. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 … trump.html

On the flip side, he didn't address low worker pay, corporate tax rates, clean energy solutions, student debt, he didn't address infrastructure investment, he didn't address runaway CEO pay, he agreed with Hillary on child care, he agreed with her on limiting guns to those on the no-fly list, he agreed with her on cyberwarfare, he agreed with her comments on nuclear proliferation, but of course he would allow Japan, Saudi Arabia and others to get nukes, he didn't address for profit prisons, he didn't address mental health care, he didn't address a strategy to defeat ISIS, etc.

In the meantime, he admitted he didn't pay federal taxes, he basically admitted he welcomed the housing crisis, he suggested China occupy North Korea, he lied about his Iraq war opposition, he lied about his climate change beliefs, he basically admitted he was sued for racial bias in housing but got off by "settling" without admitting guilt, he admitted he didn't pay workers he employed at his facilities.

Not to mention his constant interruptions of both Clinton and Holt. He looked bad, he sounded bad, he resorted to verbal diarrhea often. It was a complete failure on his part.

I expect he'll do better next time. Hard to do worse.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I thought trump looked pretty bad last night...wayyy underreported and trying to rely on fast-talking and failing miserably at it

I was surprised how composed Hilary was thru most of it...and how easily that she pushed Trump off balance...stuck his foot in his mouth quite often...tho he did get a couple solid digs in against Clinton

Forgive my ignorance but what is the deal with the emails...what did they supposedly incriminate her for? And what does it have to do with Donald'so tax returns...lol

Did anyone watch Colbert afterwards? The opening monolog was pretty funny...."it didn't take long for the lies to start flowing...Hilary said it was good to be on stage with Donald" 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I thought trump looked pretty bad last night...wayyy underreported and trying to rely on fast-talking and failing miserably at it

I was surprised how composed Hilary was thru most of it...and how easily that she pushed Trump off balance...stuck his foot in his mouth quite often...tho he did get a couple solid digs in against Clinton

Forgive my ignorance but what is the deal with the emails...what did they supposedly incriminate her for? And what does it have to do with Donald'so tax returns...lol

Did anyone watch Colbert afterwards? The opening monolog was pretty funny...."it didn't take long for the lies to start flowing...Hilary said it was good to be on stage with Donald" 16

The emails are a huge fucking deal. She lied to everyone about them and nobody knows what the fuck is in them because she deleted 30,000 of them before the FBI could get to them. So yes, it is a big deal and the democrats admit it.

Also she didn't have to answer to Benghazi, the Clinton Foundation, Vince Foster, and other failures her and Obama had. Trump took her bait which kept the focus on his flaws vs his.

The final debate will be the dude from Fox and he won't take it easy on Hillary. That one may be the most nasty.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

He said he wants to go after Bill's infidelities. Good luck with that.

That would be a huge mistake if he goes that route IMO. I found it odd that he would tell reporters after the debate that he wanted to bring it up, but practiced restraint. Ummm...ok?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Half the country doesn't pay federal taxes, and yet they receive the most from the government. Hillary didn't offer a single plan. She offered some ideas, but referring to her own people as fact checkers doesn't pass the test. She can't do shit without congress. They're not going to get the house and unless something dramatic happens, they're not getting the senate either.

Trump lost because he took the bait and rambled. But Trump also had to respond to the hard questions. What tough question was geared solely for Clinton?  If you watched that debate and thought it was fair moderation, you probably think North Korea has a great judicial system.

Stop and Frisk wasn't declared unconstitutional. Some federal judge ruled it so and her ruling was stayed and she was removed from the case due to bias. Only SCOTUS makes something unconstitutional. Or do you all accept Obama violated the constitution with his executive orders cause one judge in the South said so (never mind the appeallate court agreeing, it was 4-4 at SCOTUS so no precedent is set)?

You can pat yourselves on the back, but people watching recognized this and they aren't so quick to hand waive all of Clinton's transgressions.  I think Trump lost, but I saw a hundred polls today saying he won or it was a tie.

And don't forget, Obama bombed bad in the first 2012 debate and still won. Trump's going to come at her hard in the next debate and her giggling or referring to her website isn't going to win anyone over.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Half the country doesn't pay federal taxes, and yet they receive the most from the government. Hillary didn't offer a single plan. She offered some ideas, but referring to her own people as fact checkers doesn't pass the test. She can't do shit without congress. They're not going to get the house and unless something dramatic happens, they're not getting the senate either.

Trump lost because he took the bait and rambled. But Trump also had to respond to the hard questions. What tough question was geared solely for Clinton?  If you watched that debate and thought it was fair moderation, you probably think North Korea has a great judicial system.

Stop and Frisk wasn't declared unconstitutional. Some federal judge ruled it so and her ruling was stayed and she was removed from the case due to bias. Only SCOTUS makes something unconstitutional. Or do you all accept Obama violated the constitution with his executive orders cause one judge in the South said so (never mind the appeallate court agreeing, it was 4-4 at SCOTUS so no precedent is set)?

You can pat yourselves on the back, but people watching recognized this and they aren't so quick to hand waive all of Clinton's transgressions.  I think Trump lost, but I saw a hundred polls today saying he won or it was a tie.

And don't forget, Obama bombed bad in the first 2012 debate and still won. Trump's going to come at her hard in the next debate and her giggling or referring to her website isn't going to win anyone over.

I agree 100%.

One good thing Lester did do was let them debate. But he did not deliver the same kind of questions to Hillary he gave to Trump.

Board footer