You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Briefly flicked the channel to CNN.

Only been watching sine the Gun's debate and missed the Wall street bit supposedly.

Confused as to how Bernie is supposed to be the liberal one.  He might as well have been a Republican. These stories he tells seem forced, true or not.

Hilary is more liberal on social issues but Bernie is more liberal with your money.

Americans often confuse Liberal with Progressive, but Liberal actually means 'favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform', so his gun policy is literally more liberal than Hillary's because he doesn't want to take anyone's personal freedom to have a gun away. On social issues he's been consistently more liberal than Hillary as well (being pro-gay marriage before it was fashionable, and all...). They are probably tied in how liberal they are regarding health care (not very liberal at all: they both support some form of healthcare mandate, meaning they both don't think it's up to an individual to decide if they want insurance). Saying Hillary is more Liberal than Bernie is... weird.

Another way to think about it: a liberal differs from a libertarian mostly in that the latter doesn't believe in market regulation while the former might or might not. On social issues, their positions should be very similar. If you compare Rand Paul with Bernie Sanders on those issues, that should be pretty obvious.

Being a true liberal is a good thing, it promotes personal responsibility and diversity much more than conservatism, which aims to drive society in a conformist direction by limiting individual freedom and agency.

You are confusing libertarianism with liberalism.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Go read again, I explicitly mention how they differ. Again, liberalism is not the same as progressivism.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
TheMole wrote:

If you elect honest and effective people, you'll get an effective government.

Problem is those people are unelectable. Honest people learn soon enough that in politics, you either have to become dishonest, or you get out.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Go read again, I explicitly mention how they differ. Again, liberalism is not the same as progressivism.

The generally accepted modern day definitions are one in the same pretty much.  I understand your text book stuff but these days in America Republicans are Conservative and Democrats are Liberal... And within those liberal "basic ideas" the democrats typically want the governement to be bigger, have more control, and then issue more rights. These democratic liberals are only similar to libertarians these days in the fact they are okay with some legalized drugs. That is about where it stops. The words are often misused, I think anyway

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

According to Bernie white people have no idea what it's like to be poor. When your black supporters have to point out that there ARE poor whites and not all blacks live in the ghetto, you haven't had a good night.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I didn't watch it but if he said white people have no idea what its like to be poor....its over. Just drop out. He needs as many poor white voters as he can get and slapping them in the face isn't a very good way to get them to vote for you.

Idiocy.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The generally accepted modern day definitions are one in the same pretty much.  I understand your text book stuff but these days in America Republicans are Conservative and Democrats are Liberal... And within those liberal "basic ideas" the democrats typically want the governement to be bigger, have more control, and then issue more rights. These democratic liberals are only similar to libertarians these days in the fact they are okay with some legalized drugs. That is about where it stops. The words are often misused, I think anyway

Isn't that the problem though? That America has collectively decided that there are two sides, and those two sides supposedly adhere to "basic ideas", that a presidential election is nothing more than a contest about personalities and sound bites... People don't even bother to dig into the details of what each candidate stands for anymore, they just assume a bunch of shit based on which party a candidate is affiliated with and then vote on who has the most soundbites repeated by the media.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I didn't watch it but if he said white people have no idea what its like to be poor....its over. Just drop out. He needs as many poor white voters as he can get and slapping them in the face isn't a very good way to get them to vote for you.

Idiocy.

Perfect example of picking up on a sound bite instead of judging the man by his true intentions and policies. Like anyone fucking believes Bernie doesn't know there's poor white people.

*edit* I actually meant to quote misterID, not necessarily singling out James' response here...

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

According to Bernie white people have no idea what it's like to be poor. When your black supporters have to point out that there ARE poor whites and not all blacks live in the ghetto, you haven't had a good night.

Are you serious. Holy shit if true. Damn.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Idiocy.

Perfect example of picking up on a sound bite instead of judging the man by his true intentions and policies. Like anyone fucking believes Bernie doesn't know there's poor white people.

*edit* I actually meant to quote misterID, not necessarily singling out James' response here...

That's not from me but his own black supporters. There is a disconnect. And his temperament boarders disrespectful.

Board footer