You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Vrenna was Duff's idea, like Robin was Matt's (sorry monkey, you're arguing to argue at this point).

I'm not arguing to argue, it's just that your point is devoid of all logic.

It is on the record that Matt suggested Robin as a replacement for Gilby and Axl decided he'd be better replacing Slash.

That is absolutely not the same thing as Matt suggesting Robin be lead guitarist.

In 2006 Tommy and Richard recommended Frank for the drumming position. Had Axl decided to make Frank the lead singer would you say that was   Richards idea too?

Logic. Okay. I never, ever, ever said anything about lead guitarist. Ever. Never ever. Your point was that Axl copied Trent trying to turn GNR into NIN. I said he wasn't even the one who sought Finck out, Matt suggested him FOR THE BAND. I literally have no other way to express this VERY simple point. You, all on your own, went way out of your way to talk about his playing, look, whether Matt wanted him for lead, whatever. That is an imaginary argument you had with yourself.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with Axl wanting to be Reznor in mid 90s. Everybody from Axl to Bowie to REM wanted to add layers and textures to their sound.

Some went to a deeper extent like Axl and Duff. Others kept on the surface.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
otto wrote:

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with Axl wanting to be Reznor in mid 90s. Everybody from Axl to Bowie to REM wanted to add layers and textures to their sound.

Some went to a deeper extent like Axl and Duff. Others kept on the surface.

Funny you should mention that... I always thought if Chi Dem was released in 1997, it would have sounded pretty much like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZ1HvLE3GQ

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Were you guys around REM's Monster release and the reaction to that album?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Logic. Okay. I never, ever, ever said anything about lead guitarist. Ever. Never ever. Your point was that Axl copied Trent trying to turn GNR into NIN. I said he wasn't even the one who sought Finck out, Matt suggested him FOR THE BAND. I literally have no other way to express this VERY simple point. You, all on your own, went way out of your way to talk about his playing, look, whether Matt wanted him for lead, whatever. That is an imaginary argument you had with yourself.

No. The thread was talking about DJ. I expressed that I think even though DJ did come across as a little try-hard at times, his playing was less damaging to the reputation of the band than Robin. People see DJ and they're like "that guy wants to be slash" they saw robin and were like "my local cover band is better than this". That was my point.

It was then raised that Robin must be good because two great front me have wanted him, and I suggested that maybe Axl only wanted him because trent had earlier and Axl seemed to be on a bender to make the music more 'modern' than slash would have.  You pointed out that it was actually Matt who recruited robin "for the band". Yes. However I don't think that's reallly relevant as it was Axl's choice to move Robin from the suggested Rhythm part to a lead player. And it is as a lead player that I was discussing how he was more damaging than Dj.

Hope that brings you up to speed.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
otto wrote:

My favorite album of their's.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wouldn't even know who DJ is or AM if I didn't post on a Guns N' Roses forum. Never seen any reference to them or heard any of their music on the radio this side of the Atlantic ever.

Me either.

otto wrote:

Bang and Blame is an incredible song.

Do you have sources for The "ideas" and "suggestions"?

Still waiting for the source on Vrenna being Duffs idea.

ID might have been referring to this...

"April of '[97], right after Matt Sorum left the band... I got a call from those guys about going down and jamming... Duff was still in it... They had already gotten Robin Finck... [Axl] is super well-listened. He was always a big Nails fan... They wanted the option of experimenting with electronics... My role was supposed to be drumming and programming." (Chris Vrenna, Spin, 07/99)

Check this shit out. I wish the whole saga had played out differently. Axl was definitely wanting to go in some strange directions...maybe uncharted waters musically...

"Matt confirmed that both Chris Vrenna (ex-Nine Inch Nails) and Dave Abbruzzese (ex-Pearl Jam) has been/is working with GN'R (according to Matt, Dave is now in the studio with the band). He also confirmed that Moby was working with them." (Allstar, 05/13/97)

"The rehearsals with [Dave] Abruzzesse and [Chris Vrenna] as a duo were really cool; it was a shame then that it didn't work out." (Axl, Spinner, 02/27/09)

"When the Sex Pistols were rehearsing for their 1996 reunion tour [set to begin on 06/21/96 in Finland], Pistols mainman John Lydon claimed to have heard 'some folky nonsense' emanating from the next room, only to discover it was actually Axl and co hard at work." (Kerrang, 08/21/99)

"Dizzy's got a monstrously cool keyboard set up. Macintoshes and pro-tools and sequencing. Drum beats and loops. They'd sample Matt's drums." (Chris Vrenna, Spin, 07/99)

"They're using some modern technology. Axl's really excited about sampling. He loves the DJ Shadow record and Nine Inch Nails." (Moby, Icon Magazine, 10/97)

Damn...this "shadow lineup" concept of the mid-late 90s up to the early 00s always intrigued me and its a shame Axl or anyone was never asked to elaborate further.

Axl appeared to have acquired a certifiable 'shadow' band to work on demos. Matt and Dizzy had contributed to the recording of The Real McCoys' sophomore album, and a favor was returned in the host of bassist Krys Baratto and drummer Sid Riggs.

"I was down in a rehearsal studio recording ideas with a couple other guys, a guy named Paul Huge who was in the band for a little while, and basically that's what I did five days a week.  Five or six days a week, I was just down there recording ideas. A lot of great songs came out of that. It's all still there. Something will happen with that stuff eventually. That was a very cool creative period and it was great working with Paul." (Dizzy, Rock Journal, 07/11/04)

"You played in a rather bizarre version of Guns n Roses in the mid-90s - Sid Riggs was on drums I believe, who else was involved? Paul Tobias?

KB: Well now, keep in mind Sid and I were recording on demos. Paul was involved. If you talk to him, tell him to call me too. He’s a great guy. As for the recordings, across the mixer were such people as Slash, Zakk, Matt, Duff, Dizzy, and a host of others. We were all a part of putting tracks down on the demos. So, it was never a "version" of the band. It was fun though... The only time I really talked to [Axl] was up at that particular Halloween party at his house. He was never there when I was doing any playing. He told me he liked the bass parts and asked if I was getting paid on time, gotta love that. " (Krys Baratto, Sp1at, 04/15/05)

The massive potential this had was flushed by the fact Axl wasn't ready to write lyrics or sing. He simply listened to what they were coming up with. When you have someone like Moby willing to produce CD and you've got material recorded from all those listed above and more, pretty please with a cherry on top get down to the studio and start singing.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I think he meant it literally, like it was really hard for him to try and play Slash's shit. It definitely showed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Must say I find the same thing, it's much easier to play in your own style than nail someone elses.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

No. The thread was talking about DJ. I expressed that I think even though DJ did come across as a little try-hard at times, his playing was less damaging to the reputation of the band than Robin. People see DJ and they're like "that guy wants to be slash" they saw robin and were like "my local cover band is better than this". That was my point.

It was then raised that Robin must be good because two great front me have wanted him, and I suggested that maybe Axl only wanted him because trent had earlier and Axl seemed to be on a bender to make the music more 'modern' than slash would have.  You pointed out that it was actually Matt who recruited robin "for the band". Yes. However I don't think that's reallly relevant as it was Axl's choice to move Robin from the suggested Rhythm part to a lead player. And it is as a lead player that I was discussing how he was more damaging than Dj.

Hope that brings you up to speed.

10 guess we were having two different arguments. Whatever ends it!

Monster was a great album, and the beginning of the end of the band.

Board footer