You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: What's your dream song inclusion for these shows?

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Imo they are back in the band because they want it, and it is completely on Axl's terms.

Nah, Pitman wouldn't have to keep his trap shut if that were the case. I think SG is right in that this is a return to 'the partnership'.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

They want in GNR, maybe. Does that mean Axl was right? Hardly. Had he been right they wouldn't be back in is what some may say. As long as they are happy that is all I care about. It may just be for the money, I am fine with that too

Not saying he was right, saying Axl will look at it like that. Them admitting defeat coming back to play in his GN'R.

Nah, Pitman wouldn't have to keep his trap shut if that were the case. I think SG is right in that this is a return to 'the partnership'.

How do you figure that? Band members have been careful about what they say ever since it became Axl's band.

Yes, it looks like it is a partnership, but does anyone think Axl has relinquished any formal control of GN'R?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Imo they are back in the band because they want it, and it is completely on Axl's terms.

Duff and Slash have kept their traps shut more than anyone else in the band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I do think Axl could kill it on Anastasia.

But over all play the best songs,drop Attitude, Live and Let Die, So Fine....

Insert The Garden, Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, Don't Damn Me, Coma, etc.

What's your problem with Duff?

Dont be LAMF.....like a mother fucker.....  13

If they really end up doing a full tour they will have to play quite a bit of Chinese Democracy because that album is actually pretty popular in South America

I heard AFD is pretty popular down south as well. tongue  I doubt many complaints come from South America when they head down there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Slash and Duff coming back is admitting that Axl was right, and that makes him happy. I'm pretty sure they know you don't screw around with Axl anymore. Imo they are back in the band because they want it, and it is completely on Axl's terms.

I think for each "side" it is both a win and a loss.

Axl has been proven right in the sense that they eventually came back and he was able to keep some version of GNR running the past 20 years without them. He eventually got his Chinese Democracy album out and into the setlist etc. He made his point - they buckled. Slash and Duff found modest success outside of GNR but they've learned the hard way they can't achieve GNR success they had without Axl.

Slash and Duff have been proven right. Axl's new vision for GNR was never properly realised. Even now the band is known for the classic rock songs and Slash's guitar sound and the decision to alter the style of the band roundly failed. We've had 20+ years and a dozen players/producers in the band and all they could get out was one album - which was largely ignored. When Slash and Duff were last both in the band GNR was the biggest act in the world - it should be playing venues akin to U2 and Bon Jovi these days - but on Axl's watch the band struggled to fill arenas last international tour. They were on the road to being a theatre band. It's unlikely a label would release another new-gnr album. They've hit the end of the road.

So Slash and Duff caved by going back and playing CD songs. Axl caved by breaking his vow to die before having them back.

Basically everyone lost and everyone lost face.

But of course the real winners and fans and common sense. maybe the fuckers will go back to making some music?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Also it would help freshen up the setlist. Both Axl and Slash have flogged the hell out of the back cataloge in their solo stuff past few years.

The problem is what do they "NOT" perform?

So many hits makes it tough for them to mix up the setlist too much

I see what you mean...but then I also think some of the set pieces have been awesome but could be retired unless they need to fill out for time. For example "Live and Let Die" and "Knocking on Heaven's Door" are crowd favourites for sure but not entirely essential to believe you actually saw GNR live. Not if they were replaced with something else special like a re-done twat or anastasia.

I think the only songs they really need to play are:

Welcome to the Jungle
November Rain
You Could Be Mine
Paradise City

Personally i'd always want "Nightrain" in too I guess. But I think there's more flexibility than we account for. Songs like "Rocket Queen" and "It's so Easy" are fucking awesome but like we only feel they need to be there because we're accustomed to nearly the whole of AFD being played every time.

I'm curious to see if the continue with the 2.5-3hr sets or if they make the shows shorter

I think Axl needs that time off stage - so I assume they will do 3-4 solos still - or possibly a very very long slash solo/jam break.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm sorry monkey I disagree. Sweet Child O' Mine is more essential than any of those tracks (which are important themselves). Sweet Child O' Mine is their most celebrated/famous track and a guitar anthem still played on radios. It's their "Smell Like Teen's Spirit", "Enter Sandman" ect. You cannot drop Sweet Child O' Mine.

Knockin On Heaven's Door/Live & Let Die might not be at the same level and may be resented by online fans, but it's a crowd anthem signature track at almost every show they play. I think Knockin was actually the bands most successful single here in the UK too (though obviously not played on radio like Sweet Child O' Mine or November Rain).

Nightrain is different from Rocket Queen/It's So Easy. Nightrain's been played at almost every show that didn't end in a riot. It is completely essential to the live experience.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Hmm... actually I forgot about sweet child!!!!! See what you mean!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Ok I've had another go.

Let's look at the setlist from 2012 at "The Joint".

Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Estranged
Rocket Queen
Better
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
Live and Let Die
This I Love
Motivation
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Catcher in the Rye
Street of Dreams
14 Years
You Could Be Mine
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
November Rain
Glad to Be Here
Don't Cry
The Seeker
Civil War
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain
Don't Let It Bring You Down
Used to Love Her
Dead Flowers
Patience
Paradise City

This is my version of how you could keep enough hits yet mix it up:

Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
ANY SONG
Mr. Brownstone
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
Live and Let Die
ANY SONG
ANY NON-AXL SONG
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
You Could Be Mine
Slash Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
November Rain
ANY NON-AXL SONG / Blues Jam
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
ANY SONG
Paradise City

That's using one of their own setlists. It keeps the essentials but there's actually a lot of room for back catalogue / new stuff / modified covers.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'm sorry monkey I disagree. Sweet Child O' Mine is more essential than any of those tracks (which are important themselves). Sweet Child O' Mine is their most celebrated/famous track and a guitar anthem still played on radios. It's their "Smell Like Teen's Spirit", "Enter Sandman" ect. You cannot drop Sweet Child O' Mine.

Knockin On Heaven's Door/Live & Let Die might not be at the same level and may be resented by online fans, but it's a crowd anthem signature track at almost every show they play. I think Knockin was actually the bands most successful single here in the UK too (though obviously not played on radio like Sweet Child O' Mine or November Rain).

Nightrain is different from Rocket Queen/It's So Easy. Nightrain's been played at almost every show that didn't end in a riot. It is completely essential to the live experience.

Jungle is their Teen Spirit. I agree SCOM is massive and under no circumstances could it ever be dropped from the set list but Jungle was the anthem of the late 80s and to this day is played at just about every sporting event on the planet. SCOM technically being their biggest hit doesn't take away from the impact JUngle had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H6SniLm6s

THis performance blew everyones mind watching this in 1988. EVERYONE...including people who weren't fans.  If you ever have the time, watch the entire 1988 VMAs. Compare everything that night to THIS.

They were destroying everything in their path and were untouchable at that point.

God I'd love to go back and experience this band again. I'd also beg my dad to take to me to the GNR/Aerosmith show. I didn't get to see them until 91. Not sure why he didn't take me as he was even wearing GNR shirts by 89. tongue

Board footer