You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: What does a reunion mean for Axl's Vault?

misterID wrote:

Some of the reactions from the proSlash crowd, who've always shouted about a reunion, have been really strange from this show.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Some of the reactions from the proSlash crowd, who've always shouted about a reunion, have been really strange from this show.

If that means me i've always said that recording is more important than live.

I've been saying it since at least 2006.

Live is killer fun, but the records make history, when Axl dies the live will stop but the records will live.

Also as far as pro-slash, I've always said he was my favourite guitarist but it's also well known the Chinese Democracy songs are amongst my favourite songs and it's one of my favourite albums.....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

If that means me i've always said that recording is more important than live.

I've been saying it since at least 2006.

Live is killer fun, but the records make history, when Axl dies the live will stop but the records will live.

Also as far as pro-slash, I've always said he was my favourite guitarist but it's also well known the Chinese Democracy songs are amongst my favourite songs and it's one of my favourite albums.....

Nah not you, like while we're getting these vids from the show last night, everyone is excited, they're going out of their way to go after the energy, Axl's voice, just totally dumping on the experience.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Curious.

I think the problem with a reunion themed show is always going to be that people demand the performers to be younger than they can be.

My guess is a group of people wrote off the new band entirely for the absence of Slash - so this is prob their first exposure to a modern Axl and they're pissed off that they arn't getting like 1990s sound out of him.

Although I do think if this reunion had come in 2006 we would have the greatest boots yet of the band. It's a pity they waited this late in the game for everyone to make some kind of compromise. I never understood it - like the rest of us work with people who piss us off at times but these guys took 30 years for Slash to tolerate a little synth and Axl to put up with Slash painting stories to the media. Shocking.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Nah not you, like while we're getting these vids from the show last night, everyone is excited, they're going out of their way to go after the energy, Axl's voice, just totally dumping on the experience.

Evo has basicaly been 99% positive on the show. There were like 2 complaints in a 60 page thread. I saw tons of compliments on social media as well.

No one "dumped on the experience"....at least not here. I didn't see negativity on Twitter either but only checked it a few times.

I think the problem with a reunion themed show is always going to be that people demand the performers to be younger than they can be.

I have realistic expectations. They're in their 50s and want one more ride at the top. Other rock bands do it and so can they.

If anyone expects them to be in their prime at this point.....they cant blame the band.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To me getting a record out is the most important thing now.

Obviously shows earn a lot of $ and are a lot of fun - but in terms of history we have a lot of boots of these songs already. (jungle et al)

In the studio any weakness with Axl's voice could be fixed.

It's time to let Slash and Duff rock up this vault tracks and release them.

I'd LOVE new music obviously, can't argue with you there. But I don't see it happening until after these dates and any forthcoming overseas. I mean, I know it's possible to release music while touring but I don't think that's their focus right now. And I get that. Whenever the live shows stop, hopefully they focus on getting new music out. They'd capitalize on some serious momentum.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Evo has basicaly been 99% positive on the show. There were like 2 complaints in a 60 page thread. I saw tons of compliments on social media as well.

No one "dumped on the experience"....at least not here. I didn't see negativity on Twitter either but only checked it a few times.

I have realistic expectations. They're in their 50s and want one more ride at the top. Other rock bands do it and so can they.

If anyone expects them to be in their prime at this point.....they cant blame the band.

The only consistent "negative" thing I've heard is about Slash's lack of energy and emotion. Like he was just going through the motions. I haven't watched a ton of Slash clips over the last few years, but isn't that pretty standard for the guy these days? He's sober and he takes his craft very seriously. I think he's having fun up there, he's just trying his ass off. He's not the same drunken guitar god going crazy all over the stage anymore. Hasn't been for some time, and that's okay.

Plus, I'm sure last night was a little nerve racking for them. Their first show together EVER for that lineup, first in 23 years for the main principles. There had to be some butterflies and the insationable need to be on point. That's how I see it at least. God, I hope he's not bored up there and just going through the motions. That would suck.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The only consistent "negative" thing I've heard is about Slash's lack of energy and emotion. Like he was just going through the motions. I haven't watched a ton of Slash clips over the last few years, but isn't that pretty standard for the guy these days? He's sober and he takes his craft very seriously. I think he's having fun up there, he's just trying his ass off. He's not the same drunken guitar god going crazy all over the stage anymore. Hasn't been for some time, and that's okay.

Plus, I'm sure last night was a little nerve racking for them. Their first show together EVER for that lineup, first in 23 years for the main principles. There had to be some butterflies and the insationable need to be on point. That's how I see it at least. God, I hope he's not bored up there and just going through the motions. That would suck.

Good post.  You could tell he was nervous.  Look at the pre concert pics.. He has his guitar strap and guitar on and hour before the gig.  The was running through the songs in his head and getting his muscle memory down.. lol.  I agree.  He was focusing.. Like, "just get me through tonight and I can relax".  This weekend on a bigger stage I expect more movement.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

So Smoking Guns, are you softening a bit on the supposed rip-off in Vegas? They needed this warm-up show. Hopefully Slash will loosen up for your Vegas show. I know he is shy and sober, but I think last night was unusual even by recent Slash standards. Nervous most likely.

Also keep this in mind for Vegas. You'll likely be the first show Slash plays Don't Cry, November Rain, and maybe Estranged in 23 years! Also first time Slash and Axl play Patience together in 23 years. So Vegas does have some exclusive stuff going for it.

faldor

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

So Smoking Guns, are you softening a bit on the supposed rip-off in Vegas? They needed this warm-up show. Hopefully Slash will loosen up for your Vegas show. I know he is shy and sober, but I think last night was unusual even by recent Slash standards. Nervous most likely.

Also keep this in mind for Vegas. You'll likely be the first show Slash plays Don't Cry, November Rain, and maybe Estranged in 23 years! Also first time Slash and Axl play Patience together in 23 years. So Vegas does have some exclusive stuff going for it.

Absolutely it does. Still a banner show to be at, even if it isn't the first. I think it's only natural they'll get more comfortable with each other as time passes. Hopefully by July 19th (Foxboro) they'll have all the kinks worked out 16. Keep in mind too, for years Slash was the main focus every show he played. Last night, he had at least one equal. That might be more to his liking, but it's still an adjustment.

Board footer