You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: What does a reunion mean for Axl's Vault?

zombux wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

So Smoking Guns, are you softening a bit on the supposed rip-off in Vegas? They needed this warm-up show. Hopefully Slash will loosen up for your Vegas show. I know he is shy and sober, but I think last night was unusual even by recent Slash standards. Nervous most likely.

Also keep this in mind for Vegas. You'll likely be the first show Slash plays Don't Cry, November Rain, and maybe Estranged in 23 years! Also first time Slash and Axl play Patience together in 23 years. So Vegas does have some exclusive stuff going for it.

I was with Smoking Guns on this, but now I kinda agree this was fun and possibly neccessary for them to loosen up. no big deal, just enjoying the moment smile

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

So Smoking Guns, are you softening a bit on the supposed rip-off in Vegas? They needed this warm-up show. Hopefully Slash will loosen up for your Vegas show. I know he is shy and sober, but I think last night was unusual even by recent Slash standards. Nervous most likely.

Also keep this in mind for Vegas. You'll likely be the first show Slash plays Don't Cry, November Rain, and maybe Estranged in 23 years! Also first time Slash and Axl play Patience together in 23 years. So Vegas does have some exclusive stuff going for it.

I was with Smoking Guns on this, but now I kinda agree this was fun and possibly neccessary for them to loosen up. no big deal, just enjoying the moment smile

I am glad they did the show.  We will see shit will better production than the people last night, but the people last night saw history. 

Vegas will be history too because it is the first full show with all the epics I assume and stage set up. 

It was still a bullshit move to do Coachella, Vegas, then this, when it should have been the other way around, etc, but over all I am happy.

Slash has ALWAYS SAID, he is shy on stage.  That is why he wears shades, wears the hat and puts hair in his face.  That said, the front man in him (like he is solo) will slowly start to come out... I expect night 2 in Vegas to be fantastic.  Though there is a ton of pressure on Axl, everyone that isn't looking at Axl to deliver is expecting Slash to.  They just are.  Plus he had to learn some new songs and IMPPROVE them as well. Not just play them.  He has to up his game and out do Bucket/Finck, etc and really focus.  He knows the reason this shit is huge is because he is back.  That in itself is pressure.. And I expect him to deliver.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Even if they had come out and did what they did last night at the first show at Vegas, plus 3-4 songs... it still would've kicked major ass.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Even if they had come out and did what they did last night at the first show at Vegas, plus 3-4 songs... it still would've kicked major ass.

It would have for sure!  Last night was awesome!  NR, ESTRANGED, DC, Civil War, will all make this weekend that much better. No more covers. Please drop seeker.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Not only is Seeker not going to be dropped, but I wouldn't be shocked if they add more songs like it AND give Duff maybe one more Duff song to do.

Based on all kinds of reasons, mainly Axl's voice, these songs should be in consideration...

AFD

Jungle
Easy
Train
Out Ta Get Me
Brownstone
City
Michelle
SCOM
RQ

Lies

Nice Boys
Move To The City
Mama Kin
Patience
Used To Love Her
You're Crazy [acoustic]

UYI I

LALD (I know, but vocally he seems to nail it)
Don't Cry [original]
You Ain't The First
Bad Obsession
DTJ
November Rain
The Garden (maybe Alice Cooper pops by for a special performance)
Bad Apples

UYI II

Civil War
Yesterdays
KOHD
Pretty Tied Up
So Fine (this DEFINITELY should make the setlist -- easy on Axl, more Duff)
Estranged
YCBM
Don't Cry [alternate]

TSI (mostly Duff only and can be alternated)

New Rose (already played)
Down On The Farm (w/ Axl doing the low British voice)
Raw Power (played in 2014)
Attitude (played in 2014)
You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory (another diddy for Duffy)

CD

Chinese
Better
Maddy
This I Love

The Seeker should stay, because it's better vocally on Axl. Things like Dead Flowers and Jumpin' Jack Flash should be steered away from. Duff could potentially add MORE cover songs for just Duff, just to shake it up. The band would probably enjoy that as well. Like I recommended Pet Semetary or making So Fine and a couple TSI songs staples.

All of the old catalog listed, should be fairly easy to perform in a mid-level to lower register.

Notice how many CD songs I cut. Not only are they played out, the four I listed are fairly easy to perform and Axl seems to nail them with consistency. Shackler's is hit & miss. When it misses, it's a trainwreck and I don't see Slash playing it. When it hits -- Axl blows the fucking roof off of it.

The big 'un I got is Street of Dreams. I haven't heard a single good vocal performance from Axl on that song in years. All of the versions i've heard from 2012-14 have been fucking garbage vocally. The song is played out too. They've had it as a staple since 2001. If The World would be nice for Slash's guitar, but not Axl's voice. Same with TWAT & Catcher. Scraped & Riad are cut for obvious reasons. Sorry is kind of like SOD. Despite the song being easier to sing (forget Slash and the lyrics), since 2012 that song has been used less and less because Axl frankly fucking butchers it. I.R.S. as much as it's got Slash & Duff written all over it, I think it'd be a vocal pain. Maddy & TIL are right up the alley for CD ballads and get a BIG thumbs up, but Prostitute has issues with it's type of sound and Slash's style, plus it's a beast on Axl vocally.

jmho

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

What about Breakdown? Seems like that one is in Axl's regular voice without much high pitched screaming.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I left that one off, because Axl seemed to struggle badly with it in 1991. It was only performed once I thought. NYC '91 is the only live recording I know of.

I just figured if young Axl in 1991-92 couldn't do it then... why now? Same excuse is why I left off Coma & Loco too.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Y'know what they should cover? Gimme Shelter. Melissa can do the female vocals (which involve most of the heavy lifting, so it gives Axl's voice a break) – or they can get a high-profile guest like Fergie:

or Lzzy Hale:

And a Slash/Fortus guitar combo would sound fucking awesome on that track.

This needs to happen. I'd go so far as to say that done right, it could be a studio cover to equal LALD or KOHD.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
Lomax wrote:

What does the reunion mean for the vaults?

Will Slash and Duff record parts for music from the vault or is it more likely that Axl will release material from the vault as solo material?

Either way it is going to be interesting to see how the reunion effects the vault.

A box set, of sorts, was being looked into in January.

If I get time, I will look into what happened with AEG and how the Livenation change happened and how it affects the future

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Box set could be many things...

The discog in one set
An Echo of Miles type box set to unload the CD material
87-93 demos, live,etc.

I certainly don't doubt it. The label will make the most of the situation. The only question is what exactly will they release.

Board footer