You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNR - VEGAS, T-Mobile Arena Show, 4/8

AtariLegend wrote:

Obviously I'm a Finck man myself too in relation to the Chinese Democracy material tongue.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do we know who attended West's funeral?

I googled it and someone asked Canter years ago, Canter didn't respond. I also remember us talking about it on ROV, but I can't remember what was said.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Axl, I think, passed Shannon Hoon's funeral, too. Arkeen's death occured in around May '97, and Axl was in a state. Slash was gone and a new album was needed. It could've been one of the worst low points in the whole saga for him.

Axl wrote:

"One in a Million" was written while sitting in the apartment of my friend West Arkeen, who's like the sixth member of the band. - RS, '89

Dang.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Better, as it was, if it were slash playing the exact same notes on guitar, would have been a hit.

But also, fact is, Robin wrote Better. If there is no Robin, there is no better.

The version on the album is verging on unlistenable. IMO it doesn't matter if you put Slash and Jimi Hendrix on that final mix, it's going nowhere.

If Slash is in the band 2006-07 we would never have heard that final mix. No way does that get the ok before being wrapped in cellophane.

I'm not denying Finck any credits. He obviously was a big part of the song. Just because Finck created Better or one of the songs still in the vault, it doesn't make him untouchable. Look what happened to Shackler's Revenge. If Bucket material can be changed before release then so can Finck's.

I understand why some don't want the material touched. They don't seem to realize that by staying untouched it remains in a black hole with no chance of escaping the label's event horizon. I'd rather Slash go in there, have a listen, strip a bunch of needless layers and white noise, take it back to its roots, and make the songs fresh. Look at the title track. Listen to the new version and then listen to album, demo, and various live versions since 2001. They took it back in time. Better is instantly improved with that new intro. Most thought a brand new song was being unveiled.

The vault needs him.

apex-twin wrote:

Better, CD and TIL all sprang from the CD era and were written certain folks, incl. Axl.

I wish we could get more info on TIL. I'd like to know exactly how much of this song was changed once the CD era got underway and how close was it to completion before Slash bailed. We know a version of it existed back then, once again in 98, then it flies under the radar until 2008 when we hear about Patti coming in to work on it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Better sounds better to me on the album and with Robin. Slash did the right thing putting his own spin on it, and I like it, but I prefer the original.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

The original leak from 2006 is still the best one. Same with TWAT.

As far as the live versions go I am very glad that they have been allowed to put their own spin on it, though - bodes well for the future.

I would also love to hear Slash's take on The Blues. Preferably stripped down in the same fashion as with CD.

James

James wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

The original leak from 2006 is still the best one. Same with TWAT.

As far as the live versions go I am very glad that they have been allowed to put their own spin on it, though - bodes well for the future.

I would also love to hear Slash's take on The Blues. Preferably stripped down in the same fashion as CD.

I'd love to hear a studio version of The Blues from 2002. If GNR ever perform it again I have a feeling Slash will take it back to that. The version that got unveiled in 2006 and eventually made the album completely neutered the song.

Agreed on 06. Other than the reunion version, that first leak of Better was the best. It was all downhill for the song from there until Slash saved it. Last year when we did that CD song elimination I made myself listen to the album for a couple weeks. Hadn't heard it in ages. I cringed every time that song started.

I hope we get a Chinese Democracy....naked at some point, with or without Slash.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I wish we could get more info on TIL. I'd like to know exactly how much of this song was changed once the CD era got underway and how close was it to completion before Slash bailed. We know a version of it existed back then, once again in 98, then it flies under the radar until 2008 when we hear about Patti coming in to work on it.

Indeed.

I was wondering last night if the Slash version was the original, and the version we got was Robin's take on the existing solo - much like how the solo by Bumblefoot in Catcher is clearly based around the melody from the Brain May (axl edited) version or like how fink would put his own spin on stuff like the NR solo.

It was a thought for the conspiracy theorists anyway!

James

James wrote:

Also take into account that the solo was supposedly different when she heard it. Its assumed to be Bucket but maybe it wasn't. Also interesting that Finck lobbied for its inclusion on the album. He knew the history of that song. I wish he would have lobbied for the song with that Stevie Ray Vaughn type solo.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Got to say I'm not really digging what Slash is doing to the Chinese solos, with the exception of CD (which I suppose he plays near verbatim). His Better and TIL solos don't come close to Robin. Nothing wrong with doing it your way, but you still have to hit the important notes.

Could be sound quality, could be lack of practice. Not feeling it at the moment though.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

Got to say I'm not really digging what Slash is doing to the Chinese solos, with the exception of CD (which I suppose he plays near verbatim). His Better and TIL solos don't come close to Robin. Nothing wrong with doing it your way, but you still have to hit the important notes.

Could be sound quality, could be lack of practice. Not feeling it at the moment though.

Mmm. I'm astounded I'm saying this, but Slash needs to dial back on the Bumblefoot-style shredding on the TIL solo; it should be about feel, not technical trickery.

Board footer