You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Guns N' Roses: Coachella, April 16

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its everywhere. People do it in stores. Just a few hours ago I was at a convenience store buying cigarettes and some woman was reading her damn phone while getting a fountain drink. A fountain drink! I cant imagine needing to text or read the internet so bad that I cant get a cup of ice and soda without interacting with my phone. I'll shoot myself in the face before reaching that level. I see it when grocery shopping as well. Walking down aisles with phones glued to their faces. The lines look like internet cafes in the 90s.

I think there should be mandatory sentences for people in car accidents who cause fatalities and they were on their phone at the time of the crash. Every single day people are dying because of this shit.

I couldn't stand packed theaters even before the phone craze. The main reason are the kids like you mentioned. I go at the first showing of the day or in the middle of the week.

I'm definitely getting old. Those are the types that go to those early showings.....its me with a handful of senior citizens. 16

Dude, old people are just as bad with that shit now. Especially texting and driving, which really pisses me off.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I know people of all ages use it but a higher percentage are young. I also know I am in a very small minority that hates all aspects of it. I'd go back to 90s technology in a heartbeat. While I love the internet, I preferred it before it dominated the planet to this extent.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Worst thing about that Batman theater experience was that I was sitting next to a girl who was maybe 8 years old. Her mother told her to stop fidgeting around because the girl couldn't sit still, and then the mother had the nerve to pull out her phone constantly during the movie to goof off on Facebook. This woman looked like she was in her 40's, possibly even in her 50's. The girl's fidgeting was nowhere near as disrespectful to anyone in the area compared to the mom's cell phone usage. Hypocritical bitch setting a terrible example for her kids.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

James Lofton wrote:

Its everywhere. People do it in stores. Just a few hours ago I was at a convenience store buying cigarettes and some woman was reading her damn phone while getting a fountain drink. A fountain drink! I cant imagine needing to text or read the internet so bad that I cant get a cup of ice and soda without interacting with my phone. I'll shoot myself in the face before reaching that level. I see it when grocery shopping as well. Walking down aisles with phones glued to their faces. The lines look like internet cafes in the 90s.

I think there should be mandatory sentences for people in car accidents who cause fatalities and they were on their phone at the time of the crash. Every single day people are dying because of this shit.

I couldn't stand packed theaters even before the phone craze. The main reason are the kids like you mentioned. I go at the first showing of the day or in the middle of the week.

I'm definitely getting old. Those are the types that go to those early showings.....its me with a handful of senior citizens. 16

haha.

At the grocery store, I usually am on my phone.. its where I put my shopping list, and I take things off as i put them in the cart.   Otherwise I'll forget shit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Theaters are about to allow people to use their phones during movies.

Read that the other day. It's a terrible idea. The light from mobile phones a few rows in front can really illuminate the room and be very distracting when you are trying to watch the theatre screen. Especially in auditoriums with stadium seating as then even if the person in front is slumped down you have this bright light aiming up at your eyes.

I'm not anti-technology in general but I am starting to think things have jumped the shark a bit recently.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A shopping list is acceptable...texting or 'liking' shit on FB is over the top.

Jumped the shark? Its jumped a school of killer whales at this point. They've done studies that show the average person can only go 8 minutes without touching their phone. No wonder they have to allow it in theaters. Not only can people not last an entire movie without it, they wouldn't even last through the commercials.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A shopping list is acceptable...texting or 'liking' shit on FB is over the top.

Jumped the shark? Its jumped a school of killer whales at this point. They've done studies that show the average person can only go 8 minutes without touching their phone. No wonder they have to allow it in theaters. Not only can people not last an entire movie without it, they wouldn't even last through the commercials.

I've been out at dinner with the Missus, looked around and saw that nearly everybody was staring at their phones. <30 years old are the bulk of the offenders, although older peeps are guilty of this as well.

We were at The Palms a few months ago, and stopped for her to have a drink before a show. There were a couple in front of us, and another to the side. The couple in front of us, two women in their mid-late 20s, were both on their phones the entire time. They would stop to take selfies, then go back to staring at their phones. The couple to the side of us were also women but were in their 50s. Both just talked to one another, and enjoyed their drinks. No phones at all.

I was skiing up in Utah last month...and there they were, texting and taking selfies, staring at their phones. The base elevation was 9700 feet above sea level. Amazing scenery all around us, before you even click into a snowboard or pair of skiis....yet there these dipshits were, glued to their phones and taking pictures of themselves.

I find it all rather pathetic to be honest.

The phone is amazing in many ways. Finding places, instant GPS, reviews etc. I was in LA last week and it was a breeze because of that phone. 15 years ago I would have had to look at an atlas and figure out the highway system. That really isn't too long ago! So yes, the phone has some awesome things and it very useful.

But we have an entire generation now that is socially inept at the same time.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dude, old people are just as bad with that shit now. Especially texting and driving, which really pisses me off.

When I see somebody driving down the road with their cell phone on the wheel texting, it makes blood boil.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The phones are definitely out of hand.

Most people here know I'm a huge Batman fan. I made the mistake of attending Batman v. Superman at 3 PM on opening day, which was Good Friday. I live in the Bible Belt, so 95% of the town was off work and out of school. The theater was jam packed and I had a bunch of idiots around me texting or goofing off on Facebook. Distracting as hell while trying to watch the movie. Then at the very end a 2 year old child in the row behind me starts screaming non-stop for the last 5-10 minutes of the movie. There was a dude in the row in front of me who stood up and looked like he wanted to confront the parents, but his girlfriend convinced him to just let it go and sit down.

So going forward I think I'm just gonna attend movies on work nights when it's less crowded. Luckily the theater is only about a minute from my apartment, so I can get out of the movie at 10 PM or 10:30 PM with an easy drive home and it's not much different than if I was just staying up late watching TV or surfing the Internet. But damn I don't like the idea of spending 3+ hours at a movie theater on a work night. Rather be chilling at home during that time. But it's the world we live in now thanks to all the mobile devices people are addicted to in public.

I think the cell phone thing is just a symptom of a bigger problem: Complete lack of respect for others and zero understanding of etiquette. There is simply no such thing anymore.

I rarely go to the movies for that reason. Nearly every time I have to ask somebody to be quiet. "Can you please not talk for the next 90 minutes?" I'm like James, on the very rare occasions I go see a movie in the theater, I'll see it in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. Usually after it's been out for a few weeks. I went to see the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters last year. There was hardly anybody in there, except a young woman and her child. They talked the entire time and of course she was also texting. I eventually complained to an usher, who came in and asked her to be quiet. Was she quiet after that? Of course not, she just continued on. She didn't give a shit.

When I was a kid my parents would expect me to STFU at a movie. No talking. Same for going out to eat. If I fussed around they would ask if I wanted to go out to the car, and I knew what that meant. But when you have parents now who talk to their children instead of sush them, there is no coming back. You've got one clueless generation raising another, and that's why we're filled to the brim with narcissistic turds who take pictures of themselves all day.

Speaking of turds, both days I was in LA last week, I went out to lunch. And both times somebody with a cell phone was obnoxiously loud right next to us. First day was this tech-bro jerkwad who essentially had his business meeting on his phone-blah blah blah-so loud. The second day was another guy who played videos on his phone with the volume up nice and high. This type of behavior is the new norm.

It used to be that rudeness was something that existed on the edges of society. You'd encounter it every now and then. But these days we're outnumbered and the jerks have begun to encroach on our everyday activities.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Yeah, my parents are always pretty surprised at how people my age are raising their kids. Bill Hicks used to do a great bit on how everyone thinks THEIR child is special when really each of us is just one person out of 7 billion. But these parents treat their kids like they walk on water, which means the kid is allowed to scream like crazy and behave in a very disrespectful manner around strangers in restaurants, movie theaters, etc. And then the kids grow up to be rude adults with absolutely zero sense of manners. Then it gets passed on to their kids and the cycle continues.

Board footer