You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

I must admit, I am getting a little worried that Axl might be abandoning GN'R...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-re … -us-dates/

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

AC/DC ARE COMING BACK TO THE USA! RE-SCHEDULED US TOUR DATES CONFIRMED
- See more at: http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=308#sthash.FLn555oQ.dpuf

Yeap....

Didin't the same guy who leaked the reunion (Hard Rock manager or something) said that Axl would reunite then retire? Perhaps it's retiring from GNR. That would be kinda... disappointing.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I said a while back that I thought Axl singing for AC/DC was troubling, but I was told basically to just enjoy it as I get more Axl and that there's plenty of time for both.

I stand by my opinion that Axl singing for AC/DC could be the worst thing to happen to the GNR reunion.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I don't know if the worst... I can think of at least 10 things that would be worst, from death to any member falling off the wagon...

Anyway... If GNR plans to release something, this could make the band more visible in the US (bigger market) and make the record viable from a biz pov.

They'll probably tour South America with GNR by the end of year/early next year, so this leaves September/November for a GNR european tour.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Last Guns US date. 8/22/16: San Diego, CA @ Qualcomm Stadium
First Axl/DC US date. 8/27/16: Greensboro, NC @ Greensboro Coliseum

Five days in between. The reformation is bookended by AC/DC. big_smile

The original Rock or Bust touring commitments are done after those US dates - I was pretty certain Axl'd do them in September, if he could.

With that, Axl's still filling up Brian's shoes. Whatever comes beyond it would be more definitively the Axl/DC -era of the band.

One'd think Guns would become a priority again in the autumn. Angus may take time off the road to write the next album. That might be a more convenient next step on the Axl/DC path, rather than extending the RoB tour, with Brian's shadow all over them.

Axl knows the grand prix - him singing lead on an AC/DC album. Another Guns album would be an excuse to take Guns on the road on the interim.

Yet, as long as AC/DC wants Axl, he can live without Guns.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRVF9ZHC294

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prl9qCqd7rA

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I said a while back that I thought Axl singing for AC/DC was troubling, but I was told basically to just enjoy it as I get more Axl and that there's plenty of time for both.

I stand by my opinion that Axl singing for AC/DC could be the worst thing to happen to the GNR reunion.

I am glad he's doing it as it shows he was capable of so much more during the too long CD saga. Having said that, I am starting to get closer to your side of the fence.

The reunion, which was THE music story of the decade, is quickly turning into something much smaller. It is no longer being talked about anywhere(except GNR communities) and there is zero promo for the coming major tour.

Apparently the second dates that were added are not moving tickets. I'm not surprised. The lack of promo didn't bother me but I think its time for Slash and Duff to start talking. They do NOT want a repeat of the CD years where you come out of the gates running and then it just dies on the vine due to no promo/interest.

Axl doing AC/DC isn't the problem. The problem is the silence while it goes on. If it continues, they're going to need a single right before the summer tour starts to put them back in the headlines.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Agree the problem is the silence.

Just look at the kind of press Slash did for Apocalyptic Love and World On Fire. He was EVERYWHERE - from guitar mags to talk shows.

In a perfect world Axl and Slash would show the feud is over by doing some video interviews together and being all funny and jovial together. Think of the way Axl and Angus did that short thing for Ac/Dc. Went a long way.

But if Axl doesn't wanna do that - at a minimum they should let Duff and Slash start doing their normal PR circuit they do for projects.

I guess the danger of course is that they ask Slash about Axl and sooner or later he says something Axl doesn't like - but then Slash is pretty savy at question dodging these days - he was more of a kid in the UYI era and saying dumb stuff. He's more cautious now.

My hope is that after the ac/dc shows....GNR does this USA tour then next year launches a full scale international effort with a new single or EP (or god forbid album) behind it....that's the dream....but it's starting to look more like they might just do these shows as is with no promo or anything.

As I said somewhat negatively in another thread. The band has gone from aping AFD to aping UYI. The return of Coma, the solo pieces being Godfather and Attitude. It's a thing of beauty to us hardcores to relive the UYI days where many of us had our first shows - but it's worrying in terms of the band's future. The absence of anything new - even the new stuff like 'Coma' and 'twat' is decades old at this point - is kinda telling. There's no 'Rock or Bust' type album drop yet.....

I guess my worry is it's starting to feel more like a victory lap than a relaunch. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am so sick of Axl/DC, it is like Axl now looks at AC/DC as his band and GNR as some after thought. Fuck this. He sabotaged the biggest GNR year since the illusion era so far with this AC/DC shit. I don't want to hear another word about AC/DC. I want him 100% invested in GNR.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The Chinese Leftovers exist. It's relatively easy in that the onus on those is more on Slash and Duff than Axl.
They would need to be present on songs, but they can do it by themselves, see: Better.

AC/DC is in a wildly different place than Guns, right now.

Imagine that the AFD 5 had been active for a good while, like the Black Ice-era AC/DC.
Then, two years back, Izzy (Malcolm) retires from touring. He's replaced by Paul Huge (Malcolm's nephew, Stevie).

Guns announce a new album in spite of this. Adler (Phil Rudd) shows up to do his parts, but then runs into legal trouble.
He's unceremoniously replaced by the 90's drummer, Matt Sorum (Chris Slade). Business as usual, to the outside, at least.

In the middle of the tour, Slash (Brian) loses the ability to play live. Dates are being postponed, uncertainty looms.
Suddenly, there's a buzz - followed by a confirmation. A left-field replacement (Axl/Joe Satriani) is stepping in.

Within two years, the AFD 5 has trickled down to Axl and Duff, with reasonably proficient replacements. But Satch?
The fanbase would always be divided on whether a solid virtuoso could insert enough feeling to the solos.

Board footer