You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: The Set-List

Four albums....not completely. AFD, UYI I&II in their entirety. Select tracks from CD, but not the whole enchilada. Plus UYI has two bona fide nightly covers that are almost always played.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
killingvector wrote:

There are a lot of covers in this set list, but G&R really don't have a huge catalog of songs compared to other bands of comparable age. The set list is a bit of a bore; I remember yawning during the AFD songs in 2006. Can't imagine how I would feel now.

I agree that the only real negative to GNR is the fact that their discography is so small for such a major act. ONly major bands with a similar or smaller discog are bands like Nirvana where a death caused their demise.

Having said that, they do have enough material to pan for gold during a 2-3 hour show. I'd like them to dig a bit deeper into the discog as well but you have to remember that a tour of this magnitude is not being catered to hardcores. Even with that being the case, they are definitely aiming material like Coma, DTJ, etc. towards hardcores. They could easily replace those deep cuts with actual singles.

Remove Coma and have Yesterdays in its place
Remove DTJ and have Patience in its place
Remove another deep cut and have SIDHY in its place

They could do nothing but a hits/singles set and only extreme hardcores would complain. Estranged could be removed and 90% of the audience might not even care. NR suits the need for an epic.

During the CD years I whined about "AFD rehash" til the cows finally came home but that situation was different. There were expectations(but not promises or a guarantee wink ) of moving forward with new material and a new era of GNR. It just didn't work out for many reasons.

This is a whole different ballgame. AFD is to be expected and I'm surprised they aren't playing more of the album as they so easily could make that the focus. They are doing what I predicted long ago....focusing more on UYI as it was never dragged through the mud to the extent of AFD during the CD era.

Even with the eons of AFD rehash, the reset button was hit last year. Generally speaking, the slate is clean. The band can go forward in many directions....full blown nostalgia with the current lineup.....new/old material with the current lineup.....rotating lineups of nostalgia....an actual AFD lineup reunion down the line.....UYI reunion down the line......a vault in desperate need of seeing the light of day....a record label that hopefully is foaming at the mouth and willing to play ball.....etc.

It's a very exciting time and IMO has never been at this level since 1991 and 2001.

I agree with you that the 2006 rehash was a snooze fest(although it had its highlights). Its because it was the exact opposite of what we thought they were going to do. In mid 2016, we are not expecting two or maybe three long overdue albums by a rotating lineup. We're not dealing with management that doesn't know its elbow from its asshole(Merck). We're not drowning in excuses. We don't have various band members promising the moon while delivering nothing. We're not dealing with a version of Axl who appears disinterested. He's confident, enjoying himself, and has fronted two of the biggest rock bands in history.

Nothing in 2016 can compare to the Chinese Democracy years. Yeah someone can say "there's no new album" but how many major bands can you name who released new material a few months after getting back together? None. A new album isn't really needed at the moment. A single or new GH would certainly help fuel this machine a bit further down the road but I doubt a new album is on the launch pad now. 2016 is the year that the general public is being reintroduced to GNR. The general public loves the hits.....and that's what they are getting. Everything else is gravy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah someone can say "there's no new album" but how many major bands can you name who released new material a few months after getting back together?

Motley Crue, Black Sabbith, Ac/Dc, Alice in Chains, Iron Madian, Judas Priest....

It's normal to reunite with a reunion album for the tour.....

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah someone can say "there's no new album" but how many major bands can you name who released new material a few months after getting back together?

Motley Crue, Black Sabbith, Ac/Dc, Alice in Chains, Iron Madian, Judas Priest....

I didn't know those bands immediately recorded and released albums after reuniting. Closest from reunion to new music I knew of is Soundgarden and it didn't happen this early into the tour.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I didn't know those bands immediately recorded and released albums after reuniting. Closest from reunion to new music I knew of is Soundgarden and it didn't happen this early into the tour.

Quite. The tour sells itself on the novelty of the reunion, at least initially. Dropping an album at this point would be putting gas into an overflowing tank; it's unnecessary and wasteful, it shoots one of your promotional bolts early for no good reason. Save it for when the novelty of the reunion has worn off, to give the next leg of the tour a boost. Hell, they haven't even taken this line-up on a tour of Europe or Asia or South America yet.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Quite. The tour sells itself on the novelty of the reunion, at least initially. Dropping an album at this point would be putting gas into an overflowing tank; it's unnecessary and wasteful, it shoots one of your promotional bolts early for no good reason. Save it for when the novelty of the reunion has worn off, to give the next leg of the tour a boost. Hell, they haven't even taken this line-up on a tour of Europe or Asia or South America yet.

Yep. Its why I don't even entertain the thought of CD II/new album at this juncture. Its not happening.

Best case scenario is we get a new song/bonus tracks on a GH/Best of in the fall.

GNR haven't been putting the finishing touches on Chinese since 2000.........they've been touring a few months.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I agree that it's not going to happen....

But some of those did do it that way - Crue put out 2-3 new songs with a hits package as the first step in a reunion. Ac/Dc went back to the classic line up after 8 years on silence by dropping Black Ice then touring....pretty sure Black Sabbath recorded 13 then launched the reunion tour in support of it.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree that it's not going to happen....

But some of those did do it that way - Crue put out 2-3 new songs with a hits package as the first step in a reunion. Ac/Dc went back to the classic line up after 8 years on silence by dropping Black Ice then touring....pretty sure Black Sabbath recorded 13 then launched the reunion tour in support of it.

For the record, I didn't mean it would never happen....just not right now. As 11day pointed out, it wouldn't even make sense in the current situation.

yeah there are different ways to approach any reunion....and different timetables and a major factor would be how it came together, the circumstances, etc. The Eagles are also an excellent example. Hell Froze Over instantly. Reunited....boom.....concert on MTV and two new songs....which were both hits.

Soundgarden reunited in January.....Telephantasm released in September. I think a similar time frame for GNR is feasible. The label will want something GNR related in stores for the holidays.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I hope so. I'm just a bit nervous cos I see word on the forums is that there's potential dates in talks for most of next year.

I guess the album was mostly done, and Slash could add stuff in like a day or two realistically....so it's still quite possible.....

Just I could also see a world where they tour out this cycle until mid 2018 and then Axl starts to think about an album...and negotiations stall with the label and it all goes back onto the back burner.....

johndivney wrote:

Just goin thru the motions, cashing their cheque's.. What a farce. Charlatans.

Board footer