You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Axl and Buckethead/Robin?

esoterica wrote:

Do you think Axl will ever reunite with Buckethead or Robin?

The scenarios where this could happen are legion but do you think it ever happens or have we passed the rubicon?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

What a strange world we live in where we are talking about Axl/Robin reunions whilst he's on stage with Slash.

To answer the question, no. Mainly because you could count the number of people who'd want to see that on one hand. 99.9% of the GNR fan base has the lineup they've been craving for 20 years, a reunion with BH or Robin would only he of interest to the masochistic few who wanted to re-live the nostalgia of the CD era.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I don't think they're entirely mutually exclusive.

Axl's wants to release CD II and Robin and Buckethead would likely be featured in full or in part.

I think it'd be great to see either of those two guys play the songs that they wrote and recorded onstage. Some of us really enjoyed the CD album and would like to hear the other half and any additional music that the 2002 band wrote / recorded. Until then, it's an unresolved situation.

It was also inspired by the fact that Slash and Axl are now on increasingly good terms and given that, that anything can happen.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

We passed the rubicon.

Only thing that might happen would be one of them making a 'guest appearance' at these shows and odds are very low on that. People are hoping for Adler/Izzy and the media focusing on the here and now.

There's not even interest in these guys solo projects on a major level on the GNR forums, where the hardcore of the hardcore reside.

You're right....anything can happen...we now have proof of that......but chances of the current lineue being bloated with extra guitarists CD II or no CD II gotta be less than zero.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It would matter to Axl, and that's all that counts, really. Someone talked to Fernando and he said they're in touch with Robin, and hewas supposed to attend one of the earlier shows, but it didn't work out.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Anything is possible with GNR, however I see it as Highly Unlikely.

Maybe some kind of one off jam if it had a lot of famous people around as well - like Angus or Joe Perry or some type of muti-guitar line up for a specific song as a special occasion or something.

However over all I don't think so:

Firstly, a cameo from Robin or Bucket kinda treads on Slash's toes as the lead guitarist.

It's different to when Tommy stepped out for Duff, or Richard for Izzy or Frank for Adler, because those were instances of swapping out a modern replacement for a classic era founder. It doesn't go in reverse. Swapping Slash out for Robin would be a WTF for 99% of the audience and maybe slash as well.

Secondly, I'm not even sure Axl holds a candle for that line up. I forget his exact words but he said something at the chinese exchange interview along the lines of him being proud/fond of the line up just prior to reunion. So I'd rate a cameo of DJ/Bumble as more likely that Robin/Bucket.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

It would matter to Axl, and that's all that counts, really. Someone talked to Fernando and he said they're in touch with Robin, and hewas supposed to attend one of the earlier shows, but it didn't work out.

They've also been in touch with Brain for 10 years but I doubt he's pounding the drums anytime soon.

Like I said, guest appearances are likely best case scenario. What wigzilla seems to be implying is some new hybrid for a CD II release/tour that adds Bucket and Robin into the band.

As APE mentioned, interest in such at this point is nil on a grand scale. It would cause a media backlash and the jokes would start again.

So I'd rate a cameo of DJ/Bumble as more likely that Robin/Bucket.

IMO no chance in hell Ron comes back for anything. The way Ron handled that situation turned it into a clusterfuck. The GNR camp weren't too fond of that situation.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

IMO no chance in hell Ron comes back for anything. The way Ron handled that situation turned it into a clusterfuck. The GNR camp weren't too fond of that situation.

They shouldn't have acted like assholes towards him for so long then.

I mean bullying him when he got in the band, then as with others the complete and utter misuse of his skills, and then absolute discourtesy and disrespect towards his back condition and illness.

Frankly they are lucky he was as polite about the clusterfuck of nu-GNR and their management as he has been for 10 plus years. He could damn them to hell in the media by coming clean on some of this stuff.

I also find it really absurd how everyone got pissy at Ron for a handful of frustrated upset posts on message boards because it was 'unprofessional' when team brazil has for years been the very definition of unprofessional and Axl and Fernando and others go on similar rants all the time when they are moody.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Secondly, I'm not even sure Axl holds a candle for that line up. I forget his exact words but he said something at the chinese exchange interview along the lines of him being proud/fond of the line up just prior to reunion. So I'd rate a cameo of DJ/Bumble as more likely that Robin/Bucket.

You know, as much as I didn't give a shit after Robin left, the 2010-2012 band was actually pretty good.

James Lofton wrote:

Like I said, guest appearances are likely best case scenario. What wigzilla seems to be implying is some new hybrid for a CD II release/tour that adds Bucket and Robin into the band.

I just find the whole situation odd.

Tommy said they had 26 finished songs IIRC. Sebastian Bach talked about "The General" being on the third album of the trilogy. We've heard varying number of songs from various people involved in the project throughout the years. Axl said he wants to release more music as Guns N' Roses and that it'd be great to have Slash play on CD II, but that wasn't discussed and soon wasn't the word.

So Axl likely wants to release 2 albums of material. Let's say they do and it's two years apart between releases. That's a minimum of 4 years of touring upon material written by other people. Which Slash and Duff could live with, who knows.

I guess it's possible the current band writes material and it fits within Axl's amended vision and that helps the pill go down more smoothly with Slash and Duff. But then we're in 2021 (2017, 2019 for others) at the earliest, the band is in their 60s, before we're talking about starting from the level with this new band.

There's of course the variable that no material is ever released, Axl retires GN'R, and other potential outcomes.

I also do agree that appearances by either Buckethead or Robin are unlikely. It's just quite the pickle from all angles.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

They've also been in touch with Brain for 10 years but I doubt he's pounding the drums anytime soon.

As APE mentioned, interest in such at this point is nil on a grand scale. It would cause a media backlash and the jokes would start again.

So I'd rate a cameo of DJ/Bumble as more likely that Robin/Bucket.

Oh, thought he was talking a guest spot. I don't see it happening, maybe Robin.

Monkey, Ron could have and should have quit, but he didn't. He wasn't a slave. But I agree with the bullying. That's what happened with Bucket. Total juvenile bullshit and Axl should have set that shit right.

Board footer