You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Tom Petty has died

misterID wrote:

It looks like he passed away from a heart attack. This is awful sad

http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/02/tom-petty … ac-arrest/

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Wow, sad. Young too, 66 ain't old.

I just gave karma to someone a few days ago when he mentioned how Petty puts out relatively solid albums for a lengthy career.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Today has just been a kick in the balls. I always give my niece a lecture on the history of Tom Petty awesomeness whenever we're driving and he comes on the radio. Just terrible.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Sad news

misterID

misterID wrote:

TMZ is saying he's clinging to life.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Awful.

He has so many amazing songs. Hell....his hits album had to leave some off the track list. I wish I had went to one of his shows. I'm gonna dive into his discog. I was mainly just a hits fan. I just heard a song that I don't remember for some reason and its great.

I'll never forget the release of Full Moon fever. This type of thing could only happen in a world without the internet. Axl and Tom Petty did Free Falling at the VMAs and FF was a brand new song. It made it appear as if Axl was on the album. I called the record store and asked if Axl was on the album. They said yes. I ran to the record store....got home....listened....he's not on it. 14 It bummed me out but as I listened to it, I loved it and it stayed in my regular rotation for ages.

Another interesting thing about him is that even though he was old(er), he was an MTV staple throughout the 80s and 90s. If you look back, very few artists his age were knocking hits out of the park with gen-X eating it up. other stars around his age like Lionel, Rod, etc. had careers that went into limbo as the 90s went on. Not Tom. It was around the late 90s/early 00s when he became more of a nostalgia act.

I love this song. It really makes me sad and brings back a lot of memories of 89-90.

We'll never have another one like him. This is what the world has been reduced to.....watching its icons pass with no one coming even remotely close to take their place.

The long running worship of talentless garbage is going to cause a massive void in our pop culture in the coming years. I don't look forward to it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Petty is so great and underrated. This is a tough one to take. I play a lot of his stuff on my guitar because it's fairly straightforward and simple,  yet he made these great songs out of the basics: melody, great lyrics, simple not overproduced insstrumentation. He'll be missed. I'm bummed out big time.

James, dig in, he's got a lot of fantastic stuff that was never a hit. I wouldn't know where to tell you to start, just press play ...

misterID

misterID wrote:

When I was a kid I absolutely geeked out to see him on stage with Axl. I was a big fan of the Traveling Wilburys also.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I was never a Petty fan, but I respected him and his work.  His voice just doesn't work for me (much like I can't stand Clapton).  Had a few really good songs that even though I wasn't a fan I found a way to enjoy and the Wilburys is probably my favorite of his since he wasn't always singing.  Huge loss for the industry and the large number of people that really enjoyed his work.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:

I was never a Petty fan, but I respected him and his work.  His voice just doesn't work for me (much like I can't stand Clapton).  Had a few really good songs that even though I wasn't a fan I found a way to enjoy and the Wilburys is probably my favorite of his since he wasn't always singing.  Huge loss for the industry and the large number of people that really enjoyed his work.

Yea, I’m the same way with Rush. Respect their talent, but never did much for me. Shame these great musicians are croaking. Why can’t it be a Beyoncé or Britney.

Board footer