You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: New Slash solo album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators incoming

esoterica wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

You could say the exact same thing about other major acts. GNR, U2, Metallica, Stones, Aerosmith, etc. Everything revolves around the rear view mirror.

That's a stretch.

Metallica has done S&M, Lulu, a movie and movie soundtrack, and 3 albums since their waning heyday.

Peak fame? No, of course not. But this is a band with a pulse.

kermit the Trump wrote:

They had several options.

That brings us back to this topic.

People aren't upset out of the blue, they had somewhat of a reason to be.

GN'R was back and popular as ever, the tour was going great, Axl mentioned wanting to release a new album at the China Exchange, there was rumors of Atlas Shrugged being re-recorded/a NITL Live album being released/The Seeker being recorded, Fortus mentioning recording an album together, a rumor about an LA band doing a new record together...

Then we get a brand fire sale in 2017 that would make Gene Simmons blush, some really terrible and misleading promos, a 6 month break, Slash doing solo stuff, and Axl doing AC/DC for a couple years.

It went from great to bizarre to downright offensive in about a year.

It doesn't take a genius to realize the needle was moving in the wrong direction.

kermit the Trump wrote:

I prefer a busy Axl over an Axl in hiding for years.

Yes but if he took a month or two off post NITL NA leg, jumped on AC/DC now, and then did that for awhile, that'd be salable.

But it's half a year off and then a non-supported European Guns leg and then AC/DC for years, presumably.

It's kind of like the 2002 tour cancellation in a way. Guns N' Roses is back in purgatory.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I honestly wish Axl would release an album of absolute shit. Because then when it comes out to poor reception, he and the rest of the world can move on with what to expect with it being heralded as the next big thing.

I keep hearing people say, at least GNR isn’t Metallica. What? Do you mean like, being good to their fan base, releasing new music, mixing up setlists.

Yeah, Metallica have put out some duds, St Anger, Lulu, but they’ve also released some great stuff, Death Magnetic, Hardwired. And I wish Guns had done the same, but because they don’t do or release anything, of course then expectations are huge, because they’ve taken 15 years to put anything out...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

They had several options.

A new Live Era
New 2 disc GH/Best of
AFD/Lies anniversary editions
live DVD/Blu Ray
new single/song on a soundtrack
box set of demos
box set containing discography
CD II disguised as new album
an actual new album

They went with none of the above. None. It's not just frustrating on a hardcore level either. Common sense would dictate at least one of those releases, likely several. IMO it goes way beyond the typical "Axl hates his fans" or "TB doesn't know its asshole from its elbow" that fans usually blame. It goes deeper than that.

The thing is - when angered Axl will cut off his nose to spite his face.

Seriously, once he gets that indignant rage he will weather the storm of self harm to get a jab into someone else.

You could view a lot of the UYI walkouts that way - while he had a point sometimes most artists wouldn't face the shitstorm of ending a show early.

You can view the Chinese Democracy release that way too. Something went wrong at the label so Axl punished them with absolutely zero promotion and utter silence around the most anticipated release of a rock band in decades. Did it hurt him - probably - but he made his point.

In this era the band can make its millions from touring, so if someone at the label won't play ball and suck the band's cock just the way they want, then GNR will be happy to let them swing in the breeze forever.

Add to that that Axl probably has significant anxiety issues around releasing new music after the shit show that was the past 30 years.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The holdup is what it's always been.

I'll give you a hint: it's got orange hair and a lot of money.

The record company is owed one more album and owns the past recording sessions. If they're not giving Axl a good deal, he walks out the door, and then they come with a better offer or none at all. If they're trying to pull something illicit, he could litigate, but he can just as easily use the court of public opinion to up the ante. If they want a Slash/Duff album, he can say okay, on these conditions, or again, he walks.

He has no serious management to speak of. This alone means the deal is not getting done.

If you told me the record company called Axl and he didn't return their calls, I'd believe you.

monkeychow wrote:

You can view the Chinese Democracy release that way too. Something went wrong at the label so Axl punished them with absolutely zero promotion and utter silence around the most anticipated release of a rock band in decades. Did it hurt him - probably - but he made his point.

I always laugh when I read this.

The inability to get an album's artwork delivered on time really undercuts the idea that Axl was carrying this big Chinese Democracy shaped cross all those years. Even if they totally bungled the entire thing, which I doubt, log onto the internet, post some lyrics and some JPEGs and be done with it.

We knew November was the release date for months and then somehow the artwork is this big thing like Axl was slaving away on the songs and just forgot about it or Todd the Intern didn't do his job. In all likelihood, he dropped off the face of the earth and finally surfaced on Axl time. And then Tommy's apologetics about it only being a couple week delay to get the artwork right? Give me a break dude.

Between this, the handshake deal, and so many other questionable things, it paints the picture of an amateur hour operation.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That's a stretch.

Not really. All acts listed have a fan base mainly interested in their old material. U2 recently put out an album and nobody cares. Metallica puts out an album a decade now and they go on major tours in between.

This isn't the 90s where people are lining up to buy Load. This is 2018 where people are lining up outside the stadium to hear Enter Sandman.

How many people here like the Stones? How many listened to their new album?

GN'R was back and popular as ever, the tour was going great, Axl mentioned wanting to release a new album at the China Exchange, there was rumors of Atlas Shrugged being re-recorded/a NITL Live album being released/The Seeker being recorded, Fortus mentioning recording an album together, a rumor about an LA band doing a new record together...

Then we get a brand fire sale in 2017 that would make Gene Simmons blush, some really terrible and misleading promos, a 6 month break, Slash doing solo stuff, and Axl doing AC/DC for a couple years.

It went from great to bizarre to downright offensive in about a year.

This goes back to my point...

A brick wall is reached for reasons unknown to the fan base. You blame Axl....I blame a combination of things. Stinson gave us a peak behind the curtain when it came to label issues with CD. These issues would likely be magnified in the current situation.

some really terrible and misleading promos,

I do agree that the #AFD30 thing was not handled well at all. I also agree part of this boils down to the lack of proper management. The hype part was handled spectacularly but the follow through was par for the Chinese course.

Since we're on this subject, this is my main issue with how the reunion has played out....

A major priority should've been getting the GNR "brand" a light year away from the never ending game of Chinese checkers that the band and its fan base had played for nearly 20 years.

The opening phase of the reunion couldn't have been better. The anticipation, the clues, the Star Wars promo, the shocking April Fools show, Vegas/Coachella roll out, etc.

As the machine went into overdrive, you started seeing the usual strategy that had plagued the Chinese years surface but the massive success of the reunion disguised it.

It's reached the point where its almost too big to fail.

For the record I think management has vastly improved since the early-mid 2000s. Having said that, there is definitely room for improvement.

The record company is owed one more album and owns the past recording sessions.

We don't know this for certain. It is assumed. If true, it does help explain the current stalemate so you shouldn't be surprised by it. Also the fact we don't have an Azoff type figure in the mix to work a deal isn't helping things either.

If its one and done, what do you release? It's not an easy question and there's no easy answer.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

kermit the Trump wrote:

Not really. All acts listed have a fan base mainly interested in their old material. U2 recently put out an album and nobody cares. Metallica puts out an album a decade now and they go on major tours in between.

This isn't the 90s where people are lining up to buy Load. This is 2018 where people are lining up outside the stadium to hear Enter Sandman.

I dunno, I think the GN'R situation is slightly different because the discography is so scanty (and because there hasn't been a GN'R album for a decade, and there hasn't been an Axl/Slash album since the 90s). There's an (ahem) appetite for it. It'd create a big wave of publicity akin to that around the NITL tour annoucement, in a way that another Metallica/U2 album simply wouldn't.

That might be the reason they're holding off, as much as anything. There's a huge pressure to deliver – the comeback album needs to measure up to GN'R's past glories, there has to be a November Rain or a Patience or a SCOM or a Jungle on there. They don't know what they're going to end up with until they get into the studio. And they know that they get one shot at releasing the comeback album, so they have to choose their moment carefully. Don't want to shoot their bolt too soon. There's a kind of paralysis setting in, I think.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, don’t rush a new Guns album, we need to wait until Axl is at least 65, before putting it out there...

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, don’t rush a new Guns album, we need to wait until Axl is at least 65, before putting it out there...

On the one hand, yes, I get that people are twitchy about the band members ageing. But Chinese Democracy II was (allegedly) ready to roll several years ago. We know that there are many, many recorded vocals for unreleased songs in Axl's vault, so it's not as if it's going to be 65-year-old Axl singing on the album.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

I don't really get your logic.

Especially when you're taking the "it's just a promotional tool" track.

It's a phenomena that affects every artist out there. You have your peak time and then the decline. But Scorsese put out solid work in the 90s/00s even if it wasn't 70s/80s levels. Taxi Driver and Goodfellas is always gonna be preferred to The Aviator and The Departed but they're solid entries. Same with Metallica. I dislike U2 and am unfamiliar with their work so I can't comment but they are at least trying to remain relevant.

I don't know how many people listened to the Stones new album of all cover songs - probably about as much as those that listened to and liked Garage Inc and The Spaghetti Incident but like those acts, the Stones also felt it was significant enough to release and do a music video for and so on.

kermit the Trump wrote:

A brick wall is reached for reasons unknown to the fan base. You blame Axl....I blame a combination of things. Stinson gave us a peak behind the curtain when it came to label issues with CD. These issues would likely be magnified in the current situation.

I can see this being a thing but what doesn't mesh is Axl being quiet as a church mouse about it.

Tommy told us the record company was a combination of unhelpful and incompetent, not that they were legally obfuscating the project.

kermit the Trump wrote:

For the record I think management has vastly improved since the early-mid 2000s. Having said that, there is definitely room for improvement.

I don't think there's been all that much improvement.

I put this on LiveNation probably taking the ball dropped by Goldstein, Merck, and Team Brazil and doing the bare minimum with it.

kermit the Trump wrote:

If its one and done, what do you release? It's not an easy question and there's no easy answer.

It's better to try to answer the question than not answer it at all.

Who knows, Axl could have been working on it but the impression doing AC/DC leaves isn't positive.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I said for years a reunion would be for touring purposes only. I preferred no reunion because I think it means a higher likelihood of new material. You had most of the members who worked on CD2 in the band already. Now it would be totally reworked, and no matter how fast Slaah and Duff work, it’s new stuff Axl has to deal with.

Board footer