You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: 3 new Bucket cds!

As a non-fan, it's just exhausting. 20 albums? It can't all be his best, or even all be songs. It may take 5-10 years before BH diehards seperate the great from the mediocre in this year's music from Bucket. And people like me, who like Praxis to an extent but are underwhelmed by BH's work in general, how are we supposed to appreciate him? Wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for accesible stuff.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

CC, yeah, some of this year's stuff has been shit. He basically cleaned out his vault of all unreleased stuff for the "In Search of The" box set. There are some great songs and incredible playing in there, but there's like 70 songs, and maybe 20 are good for listening over and over. Basically 2 CDs worth.

Blueprints was a remaster of a tape. Only for completists. Sound quality is poor, but Track 1 is one of his poppiest/best/catchiest songs ever. He's never revisited that track like he did others on Blueprints. He's played it live once, 4.16.06, available on archive.org.

"DCK" is Death Cube K. If you like Bucket as Death Cube K, get it. If not, forget it.

If you want the classic Buckethead from this year, there are 3 to get, basically. Pepper's Ghost, Acoustic Shards and Decoding the Tomb of the Bansheebot.

There is no Praxis-like stuff from this year.

Bucket didn't tour this year, like he has every spring and fall since leaving GNR, so he basically just released lots of stuff for his fans.

Lemme get on a soapbox here and deliver a little smackdown. I'm not gonna fault Bucket for releasing so much this year, and no GNR fan should, considering we're here because of a guy/band who hasn't released a CD since 1993. We bitch, moan and complain about Axl not releasing stuff, but we're gonna criticize Bucket for releasing so much. That's the definition of a hypocrite. Don't be one. You either think a musician should release stuff or not. The number of releases is irrelevant.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I've bought 21 Buckethead albums this year. That might be a record too 16

After talking to bri I decided to focus on Decoding The Tomb Of Bansheebot of these 3 releases.

What can you say really that hasn't been said before? I feel this might be the synthesis of a lot of his previous work. It follows in the vein of Peppers Ghost (one of the few BH albums that let me down) in terms of sound, but contrary to that album, DTTOB also delivers the mean aspects of EMAC, Inbred, Kaleidoscalp and PO. His solo in Checkerboard Incision is a major fuckin' drool trip. You literally get hard from it. No, that's no joke. This is absolutely top notch, ranking right up there with his classics.

If you haven't bought any BH albums in 2007 this is the one to get. Prepare to wear out your first cd.

Holy shit.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hey, send me Checkerboard Incision. If its hard on material, I gotta hear it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Elephant Mans Alarm Clock for hard hitting riffs and blistering solos.

Population Override for groove and emotion.

Colma for melancholic chill out.

Go to tdrsmusic.com

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm a fan, but sadly other than youtube stuff and a few downloads I don't own alot... Buckets stuff just isn't sold in many stores around here and I won't use a credit card to buy it over the Internet.

Like BBF sorry, but the only way I'll ever either of your albums is through people sending me PMs or dodgy file-sharing sites...

As for Bucket himself, you have to here his solo work to fully appreciate what he probably was to Guns in those years.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's been a month or so since I bought 'Bansheebot' now. Probably rolled it around 15 times, and I gotta say it still sounds fresh.

If anyone were in doubt before I can assure you you won't be disappointed with this.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Just when you thought he was done ...

http://travisdickersonmusic.com/store/monolith.html

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Just when you thought he was done ...

http://travisdickersonmusic.com/store/monolith.html

Is that a joke?

5 tracks spread over 5 CD's for $50? $10 per track? 14 I barely care enough to download them illegally thanks to his releasing 20+ CD's this year.

No disrespect to any posters here, especially you bigbri as I always enjoyed your posts at the old ROV site, but this is a joke right? 20 CD's+ in one year was bad enough, releasing 5 tracks over 5 CD's is just fucking asking for trouble.

Someone, please enlighten me...

Board footer