You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 1

jimmythegent wrote:

hate to be a party pooper - but I can absolutely see where Ezrin was coming from if this was what he was presented with

I think the unreleased have some potential but TWAT, Madagascar are still duds for me (a little harsh on TWAT perhaps)

I absolutely think Atlas needs to be on any new Guns album, worked up properly.

Interesting that Axl pretty much had his vocals recorded and in the can for a decade before it was released

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Prostitute sounds better a little more stripped back

Its the same vocal that ended up on the album without some pitch correction for Axl's bum notes

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Street of Dreams - this is about the only song I'd say turned out better than what was released...

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

It is a great album, it has a good flow and the songs feel less cluttered. Given that the album didn't come out at the time, I think Chinese Democracy had to be what it was in 2008 because it had to reflect the journey it had been on.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

@wagzilla

Amazing post and review.

I know the chances of that being THE tracklist are technically low but it's very interesting how it flows perfectly and this isn't the case with any previous leaks ever.

I noticed it on first listen and listened all the way through. Listening to it again right now and....it works.

If they lucked into the perfect track sequencing on this and never came close again even when they tried speaks volumes about the bizarre journey that is Chinese.

James

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I can absolutely see where Ezrin was coming from if this was what he was presented with

His only valid takeaway IMO is a lack of monster singles. Not a valid reason to tell him it's not ready.  Not every album can have a Jungle, Enter Sandman, or Vertigo.

In 1996 Metallica had Load. In 97 U2 had Pop. 99 should've had 2000 Intentions/CD.

I wonder what Ezrin's opinion would be had he known Axl wouldn't scrap the material and just keep layering instead?

They needed to just get it out there.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Oh I agree they should have had it out earlier than 2008... and this is a rough mix of course... and you're right about the monster single... maybe the takeout should have been they really needed one song to really knock it out of the park as a first single and perhaps continue writing a little longer until that song arrives... ?But it likely set the whole thing back a mile and obviously doubt and a lack of confidence took ahold hence the endless tinkering ...

who knows I guess? I still think it would have been more successful had he called it something other than GNR.... perhaps he needed a higher profile guitar player to pull it off? Navarro would have fit the bill perfectly at the time

James

James wrote:

The lack of identity in that pre bucket lineup is a doozy when you think about it. We know em all of course but the average Joe/Jill hasn't the slightest clue.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

The lack of identity in that pre bucket lineup is a doozy when you think about it. We know em all of course but the average Joe/Jill hasn't the slightest clue.

Exactly right hence why a Navarro at the time could have helped. Stinson was an underground legend but the mainstream rock fan in the the late 90's was still none the wiser of him

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
James wrote:

@wagzilla

Amazing post and review.

I know the chances of that being THE tracklist are technically low but it's very interesting how it flows perfectly and this isn't the case with any previous leaks ever.

I noticed it on first listen and listened all the way through. Listening to it again right now and....it works.

If they lucked into the perfect track sequencing on this and never came close again even when they tried speaks volumes about the bizarre journey that is Chinese.

I'd be willing to bet this ended up on someone's(Iovine?) desk as a progress report of "The album is 99% done."

Board footer