You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: Current Events Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Some there seemed to be well organised for it. They certainly don't look like they came for a speech.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I'm concerned about how convoluted some of these arguments about free speech are...

No we're using what happened last week in DC to justify no longer sharing video footage of bad cops doing bad things?

Our priorities are all out of whack if this is our best effort to argue censorship. If you're worried about Trump's (and others') censorship then we shouldn't continue to this conversation anymore.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Some there seemed to be well organised for it. They certainly don't look like they came for a speech.

[/embed]
More proof it was all antifa 11

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'm concerned about how convoluted some of these arguments about free speech are...

No we're using what happened last week in DC to justify no longer sharing video footage of bad cops doing bad things?

Our priorities are all out of whack if this is our best effort to argue censorship. If you're worried about Trump's (and others') censorship then we shouldn't continue to this conversation anymore.

I think the conversation went right over your head.

Fyi, those videos you're commenting on/posting above are from the independent journalists who normally track antifa, so there's that irony.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Giuliani announcing minutes before the chaos that he wants trial by combat?

This the kinda thing I'm talking about though.

I found his remarks to see what that's about as a few people have mentioned it various places.

He said that it's a contest - if he loses than he destroys his reputation and if they lose then they go to jail and to bring it on it's trial by combat. It's obviously a metaphor when you look at the context.

It's hyperbolic for him to use it in the first place, but it's just as hyperbolic now after a riot for people to suggest it's a legitimate call to arms.

If someone listened to that 3 min speech about how he can prove fraud and is willing to bet his whole legal reputation on it - and decided to bring weapons to washington then it's because they are unbalanced and have issues.

I honestly don't see how we can start regulating normal speech to remove the possibility that some phrase sets off some fringe psychos.

Looks like the New York state bar is going after him.

Unfortunately for Rudy, not everyone is willing to view his acts as the equivalent of an episode of Sesame Street like Trumpers are.

Why didn't you comment on the other examples I listed?

Serious question...

What would Trump and his goon squad have to do for you to take them seriously?

Successful decapitation strike?

Bombing Australia?

is willing to bet his whole legal reputation on it

Looks like he just lost that bet.

He destroyed his career and reputation for Donald Trump...and Trump will just throw him under the bus as well.

People haven't figured out that nonstop ass licking doesn't give you loyalty and respect from the God Emperor.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Giuliani announcing minutes before the chaos that he wants trial by combat?

This the kinda thing I'm talking about though.

I found his remarks to see what that's about as a few people have mentioned it various places.

He said that it's a contest - if he loses than he destroys his reputation and if they lose then they go to jail and to bring it on it's trial by combat. It's obviously a metaphor when you look at the context.

It's hyperbolic for him to use it in the first place, but it's just as hyperbolic now after a riot for people to suggest it's a legitimate call to arms.

If someone listened to that 3 min speech about how he can prove fraud and is willing to bet his whole legal reputation on it - and decided to bring weapons to washington then it's because they are unbalanced and have issues.

I honestly don't see how we can start regulating normal speech to remove the possibility that some phrase sets off some fringe psychos.

Looks like the New York state bar is going after him.

Unfortunately for Rudy, not everyone is willing to view his acts as the equivalent of an episode of Sesame Street like Trumpers are.

Why didn't you comment on the other examples I listed?

Serious question...

What would Trump and his goon squad have to do for you to take them seriously?

Successful decapitation strike?

Bombing Australia?

is willing to bet his whole legal reputation on it

Looks like he just lost that bet.

He destroyed his career and reputation for Donald Trump...and Trump will just throw him under the bus as well.

People haven't figured out that nonstop ass licking doesn't give you loyalty and respect from the God Emperor.

I think this post here articulates what I've been trying to say better than I've said it...

how are we having a discussion on freedom of speech when the topic at hand here is how dangerous is Trump...how much longer are we going to stick our heads in the sand about this?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

<iframe width="200" height="113" src="h … ></iframe>[/embed]

Random tangent...here's a perfect example of a Republican not giving a shit until it directly affects them...

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

The excuses truly boggles my mind. Leaders and news all around the world have chimed in on this, but yet some will take fox news as the one to believe lol. Its not me it's everyone else!  14

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

The excuses truly boggles my mind. Leaders and news all around the world have chimed in on this, but yet some will take fox news as the one to believe lol. Its not me it's everyone else!  14

It is befuddling to me as well...there is no limit for this guy. There is no line.

His behavior is abhorrent and he's accomplished so little as president. Why anyone would want this man representing this country in any capacity will forever be beyond me. Teddy Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson were true bad asses. They definitely rubbed people the wrong way, too. But they had a clear and focused agenda and had something to show for their accomplishments as president.

What does Trump have other than millions of tweets and disgusting, abhorrent behavior?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Again, assembling groups for strikes like antifa, white supremacists and BLM have done for four years is not protected speech, and not at all what I'm talking about. Sara Palin saying she was "targeting" rhinos did not mean she was looking to execute them back in 06, she was talking about primaries. The media twisted her words, now we're talking about people and companies being removed or prevented from being accessed by Google, Twitter and Facebook over political thought (which has been happening for years if you haven't been paying attention) and now we're supposed to look at the friggin media and big tech as honest brokers who make these decisions on our behalf? This intentional lack of context is what's dangerous.

Censoring Trump is all fun now, I have no problem deleting overtly inflammatory remarks, but silencing things you don't want to hear for everyone elses own good is not okay. Big tech is already collecting your information. This is going to be fun seeing where this goes now. The crazies will always be here. Getting rid of Trump's Twitter won't do anything.

Antifa, BLM, and white supremacists transgressions in 2016-2020 isn't even close to what happened here.

You're a smart guy. I know you know the difference.

You say people should be careful supporting censorship....I say be careful supporting failed coup attempts.

*In Sophia Patrillo's voice*

Picture it.... Washington DC...Jan. 2025.......

Biden has lost the election to Ted Cruz. It's driving him insane. Like Caesar and Trump,  he sees enemies all around him and he continually rants and raves. He also blames Kamala for the loss. After a rally, his supporters storm the Capitol to take out Kamala and Congress....and it looks like a few democrat congressmen played a role in it.

Will you, SG, and monkeychow come to Biden's defense and piss on any negative measures taken against him?

I think I know the answer....

Getting rid of Trump's Twitter won't do anything.

Strongly disagree. News coverage has already improved immensely and we're only days into this.

It also turned off the main spigot of red team outrage.

This intentional lack of context is what's dangerous

The only lack of context is the people refusing to see what this chaos really was....a failed coup attempt.

Under normal circumstances I would agree they're going too far...you know my feelings towards cancel culture, social media, etc...but these aren't normal circumstances.

Board footer