You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Current Events Thread

polluxlm wrote:

There was a shooting in my country a few days ago, then there was a shooting in Denmark. Shootings of this type are all pretty rare in our part of the world and I don't believe for a second all these shootings in different countries in the same week is a coincidence. Summer break makes you go mad? Doesn't make any sense.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Not sure i'd call it coincidence.

But a lot of the western world is in similar situation...covid shutdowns/lockdowns exasperated existing issues with the system. You got people driven into poverty who were only just hanging on to middle class. You got people driven into mental illness who had only just been hanging onto sanity. We have global inflation, global stock issues, wars to worry about, environmental issues to worry about, a generation of people raised with job insecurity and debts, record house prices in a number of places in the world, a lot of places have school debts...don't even start me on the influence of social media and all the like....like there's a lot of pressure on people...i see it as logical that a lot of similar societies would show the same cracks.

America has long been setting the pace for the rest of the world, when their society starts feeling some stress, it's logical the other similar societies will feel similar strains.

Like here in Australia it's hard to get guns, but people are not right in the head anymore, I go out for a drive and the road rage is like 100 times what it was in 2018. It's a worry.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I guess my issue is 57 people were shot and 9 killed in Chicago proper this weekend, and the shooting outside of the city is the one that gets national attention.  What happened at Highland Park occurs in Chicago nearly every weekend, but it's never talked about in the public sphere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/04/us/w … -park.html

Akron police shot a man (60 times) after he fled and fired his handgun at police.  After he crashed and attempted to escape, not going down from the tazers, he was "executed" by the police.  There was a time where this story wouldn't have even made the news, but it was used to justify looting and rioting by the normal yahoos.  Luckily Akron wasn't interested in letting their city become Kenosha, so they tear gassed and arrested 50 or so rioters.  But it begs the question why are people outraged that a man who fled from police, fired at them, didn't comply with being tazered, and then turned to confront police was gunned down.  This wasn't a good man, this was a garbage human being that met every legal standard to be shot due to his demonstrated and continued risk to the community.  Yet he becomes a martyr for a crowd of people that remain absolutely mum when a child is shot feet from their doorstep, or a gang related "mass shooting" happens blocks from their home.

Every media report is calling him "unarmed" and hesistates to even mention there exists video evidence of him firing at police as he drove away, and the fact a glock with bullets still in the clip were found in the car he fled from.  You get the clueless who say "shoot him in the arm or leg" as if that is even a possible shot to make, or any less lethal.  Police, like soldiers, understand that group tactics are far more effective than one on one combatives.  They're also trained that their lives are just as important as the would be badguy they're chasing.  They didn't shoot him in the back, they tazed him in the back, he continued to flee, and then suddenly turned around and every cop did what they were trained to do and emptied their guns into him. 

The Akron man will be a martyr, and the Highland Park shooting will be the story, and they'll completely ignore the other 99.9% of people murdered or shot this weekend that don't fit the media narrative.  Then in the same breath demand more gun laws, completely ignoring that that no one involved in any of this weekend's shootings were following the plethora of existing laws.  I'm sure if congressional democrats somehow passed an assault weapon ban responsible for something like 0.1% of firearm homicides in the country, the gang bangers that account for 50%+ of all firearm homicides would turn in the handguns they own that collectively account for 90% of firearm homicides in the country.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Rioting is just accepted now, it's only used to rob and steal, and progressives justify it as equity. That's why they're shutting down Walgreens and Dollar Stores in minority neighborhoods. See how that goes.

We don't have sensible federal gun laws for the same as don't have them for abortion: progressives really don't want them. They'd rather have a fantasy.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Not sure i'd call it coincidence.

But a lot of the western world is in similar situation...covid shutdowns/lockdowns exasperated existing issues with the system. You got people driven into poverty who were only just hanging on to middle class. You got people driven into mental illness who had only just been hanging onto sanity. We have global inflation, global stock issues, wars to worry about, environmental issues to worry about, a generation of people raised with job insecurity and debts, record house prices in a number of places in the world, a lot of places have school debts...don't even start me on the influence of social media and all the like....like there's a lot of pressure on people...i see it as logical that a lot of similar societies would show the same cracks.

America has long been setting the pace for the rest of the world, when their society starts feeling some stress, it's logical the other similar societies will feel similar strains.

Like here in Australia it's hard to get guns, but people are not right in the head anymore, I go out for a drive and the road rage is like 100 times what it was in 2018. It's a worry.

Yeah I hear that, we can definitely expect more disturbances. Might get really bad in fact.

I still think multiple shootings in a week is suspicious. You can't have a normal news day anymore, it's always some major crisis.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Watching these mass shooting events play out in real time on social media is surreal and absurd.

It's so predictable now that it feels like following a script.

In the early stages, both sides are salivating but must stay in a holding pattern until it comes out who the shooter voted for....so they'll know how to respond.

The "poor victims RIP" is quickly followed by the usual memes and jokes. This kills time until the grand unveiling. People are being entertained until time to go into attack mode.

It was initially confusing for these types. He goes to Trump rallies...but he's a rapper!  Is he secretly antifa?!? 

Once they found out his dad was a Trumper, both sides comfortably slid into their roles.

Edit

Forgot to mention there was confusion on this too....daddy might have been a registered Democrat.

How does this shit not drive these people mad? How do they not realize it's a problem?

These lunatic fringes on both sides are insane. Imagine not knowing how to feel about a shooting until you find out who the killer voted for...and in some cases they wait to find out about the victims.

These various platforms need reform.

A new tactic fresh from the left is to ban anyone even remotely conservative for "biological terrorism". It's been happening on various Reddit subs and somewhere on Twitter.

Watch in the coming days/weeks how this term will spread like wildfire.

James

James wrote:

The British Independent Film awards have announced they are going gender neutral.

In other words....in the near future, women will no longer receive nominations.

This movement needs to hurry up and eat itself.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Looks like Youngkin might be running for president. DeSantis will eat up most of the money, but you never know how it will play out.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

both sides comfortably slid into their roles.

I don't know anything about the specific shooting you were talking about but this sentence captures the problem with modern politics exactly to me. There's like the awkward pause when something happens to see where everyone will land - then someone chooses a side and people continue disagreeing with each other because it's just what they do.

Good example to me was Covid.

Both the dems and the republicans flip-flopped on it. Like when it started Trump was shutting stuff down and Nancy was complaining about spreading fear, after a while Nancy was calling for lockdowns and tump was all about moving on. Now it's logical for people to adapt their position with new info - but it's telling that no matter what happens people never seem to unite anymore.

What about the war? Like if anything should unite the USA it ought to be the USSR coming out of retirement for a grudge match against the west...but no...somehow half the people think USSR is just misunderstood and/or it wouldn't happen with them in charge and the other half think it's the fault of the other side's last leader for being too nice or whatever it all is. It's like FFS can you just agree on something please?

I really think we need some type of improvement on this stuff or our society is really going to unravel soon it seems. Like old people always say stuff is getting worse, but really, stuff is getting worse right?

James

James wrote:

Yeah Covid was a massive head scratcher...and people conveniently forget how it was almost the opposite....

Republicans as the "get vaccinated you crazy antivax Nazis!" team while the Dems are the "fuck your mask and vaccines!" team. Dem leaders were against this stuff at first.

Trump doubling down on a couple things is what changed it and led to how it wound up playing out.

It's madness.

The next time there's a pandemic or some other major crisis, social media should probably be shut down.

Looks like Youngkin might be running for president. DeSantis will eat up most of the money, but you never know how it will play out.

Since Biden is clearly a one term president, it's wide open this cycle.

Makes me wonder if Kasich should try one more time.

I wish he was 20 years younger.

Board footer