You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Current Events Thread

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Progressives are really beating the “Joe’s too old to be president” now. There’s no way they pressure him out of running and *not* get behind Kamala. This would be a disastrous primary.

Harris was a bad enough candidate she had to drop out very early in the 2020 primary. They should get someone else.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It’ll be Pete if it’s anyone

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

both sides comfortably slid into their roles.

I don't know anything about the specific shooting you were talking about but this sentence captures the problem with modern politics exactly to me. There's like the awkward pause when something happens to see where everyone will land - then someone chooses a side and people continue disagreeing with each other because it's just what they do.

Good example to me was Covid.

Both the dems and the republicans flip-flopped on it. Like when it started Trump was shutting stuff down and Nancy was complaining about spreading fear, after a while Nancy was calling for lockdowns and tump was all about moving on. Now it's logical for people to adapt their position with new info - but it's telling that no matter what happens people never seem to unite anymore.

What about the war? Like if anything should unite the USA it ought to be the USSR coming out of retirement for a grudge match against the west...but no...somehow half the people think USSR is just misunderstood and/or it wouldn't happen with them in charge and the other half think it's the fault of the other side's last leader for being too nice or whatever it all is. It's like FFS can you just agree on something please?

I really think we need some type of improvement on this stuff or our society is really going to unravel soon it seems. Like old people always say stuff is getting worse, but really, stuff is getting worse right?

The problem with the war is that a lot of people no longer trust anything from the media or government. The Neo-Cons have control of both political parties and the only thing that stays the same is the strong profits of military industrial complex, large banks, and pharmaceutical companies. To give an example of what I mean with the Neo-Cons and the MIC. Victoria Nuland was part of the George W. Bush administration and has also served in the Obama & Biden administrations. Nuland was caught red-handed on a recorded phone call engaging in Coups activity with Ukraine back in 2014. So you have a woman that served both Republican & Democrat Presidents who was engaging in dirty business overseas, the type of dirty business that might be part of Vlad Putin’s excuse to crank up the current war. We never should have meddled over there. The Neo-Con agenda has failed every time: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ukraine.

The only way you will see Americans united is due to invasion by China or aliens from space/another dimension. I personally think a peaceful divorce might not be a terrible idea. It feels like we are moving closer to a civil war as the years go by. The transgender stuff is an example where there can never be agreement.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Progressives are really beating the “Joe’s too old to be president” now. There’s no way they pressure him out of running and *not* get behind Kamala. This would be a disastrous primary.

Harris was a bad enough candidate she had to drop out very early in the 2020 primary. They should get someone else.

It seems like Newsom is interested  in running and having a go at it.  If this happens, I don't see how any Democrat wins in 2024.  Biden would be forced to call Newsom a progressive nut, which would cause all kinds of infighting in the DNC as they try to rally around a message  that appeals to coal miners/steel workers and twitter NPCs who think women can have a John Holmes length cock.   The big umbrella idea works if you're cordial and acknowledge an agreed upon framework, but there is no way to connect Manchin to Sanders under the same party. 

Drudge's headline says over half the GOP won't vote for Trump in 24, so that all but assures Biden will be going against DeSantis or Youngkin. 

America really needs more political parties.  Create or coopt existing nomenclatures, but the Jesus Heads who want a Handmaid's tale are just as out of touch with mainstream GOP support as the far-left loons who want to lynch SCOTUS justices are out of sync with the DNC.  Neither party can contain the extremes and said extremes keep normal, moderate folk from being interested. 

I'd be very interested in a Manchin/Collins collaboration, but I don't think that will happen.  The closest we got was McCain and Lieberman in 2008, and we all remember how that eventually turned out.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

It seems like Newsom is interested  in running and having a go at it.  If this happens, I don't see how any Democrat wins in 2024.  Biden would be forced to call Newsom a progressive nut, which would cause all kinds of infighting in the DNC as they try to rally around a message  that appeals to coal miners/steel workers and twitter NPCs who think women can have a John Holmes length cock.   The big umbrella idea works if you're cordial and acknowledge an agreed upon framework, but there is no way to connect Manchin to Sanders under the same party. 

Drudge's headline says over half the GOP won't vote for Trump in 24, so that all but assures Biden will be going against DeSantis or Youngkin. 

America really needs more political parties.  Create or coopt existing nomenclatures, but the Jesus Heads who want a Handmaid's tale are just as out of touch with mainstream GOP support as the far-left loons who want to lynch SCOTUS justices are out of sync with the DNC.  Neither party can contain the extremes and said extremes keep normal, moderate folk from being interested. 

I'd be very interested in a Manchin/Collins collaboration, but I don't think that will happen.  The closest we got was McCain and Lieberman in 2008, and we all remember how that eventually turned out.

I agree with you that we need other viable parties. It's pretty stupid to only have a 2-party system. It has led to a lot of distraction with extremes on social issues, while the 2 parties work together behind the scenes to screw the public on economics, geopolitical issues, and basic infrastructure issues. We need to find a way to get the big money corporate donations out of the political system. It has led to enormous corruption. On top of the usual corruption from corporations, it has also led to corruption from foreign enemies like the Chinese government. Term limits and age limits are also needed to help avoid corruption & complacency in the government.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Newsom would be interesting.  He's probably got some stuff in his personal life you can attack.  I think Biden is toast if he runs anyway.  I saw some poll the other day where 43% of DEMOCRATS hated his economy plan (or whatever it's called).  Harris is horrible for the reasons mentioned here.

It depends how the landscape is in 2024.  They might be better off letting him take the loss and regroup for 28.

The problem is party discipline.  I mean they have all these different ideas but it's all scattered and they never really settle on a message (that can win and inspire people).   For whatever issues, I have with the GOP, they have the unified party message down.

tejastech08 wrote:

Term limits and age limits are also needed to help avoid corruption & complacency in the government.

Yeah, some of these congress members shouldn't be there at all.  Some just don't do their job (cough Ted Cruz) or can't (Feinstein is senile).  It's a big problem.

The two parties control so much that it's almost impossible to get traction as a 3rd party candidate unless you want to spend a lot of money.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Some of you might not have heard about this, but there was another attempted mass shooting in a mall recently. The shooter was armed with the same weapons as the 4th of July shooter and started his rampage in the food court. This guy here was carrying a Glock…
FYIMW_TXoAMuO74?format=jpg&name=small

And he killed the dude in 15 seconds. Not only is the media not talking about him, there are some liberals who want him arrested for carrying a gun into a mall. They say the “mall cops” could’ve handled the situation. Yup.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yikes...

The culture war surrounding mass shootings blows my mind. Watching the story develop on a social media platform is a glimpse into mass psychosis.

The media as well as the public usually drop the story as soon as they find out the killer didn't vote for Donald Trump.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

They say the “mall cops” could’ve handled the situation. Yup.

LOL, haha.  Some of those mall cops are for show only.  Some of them are old as fuck and shouldn't be out there. 
Social media doesn't help as well.  You see a lot of these psychos tell everyone of their plans on 4chan or whatever and that bothers me, probably because I'm becoming an old fart.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I like how you can make the joke about robbing a gun store and everybody get why it's a bad idea, but once you talk about arming society people start to have the opposite idea. Suddenly they imagine the gun store will be robbed all the time now.

So why so much violence? There is in fact not that much violence except for in parts of the country. The real term has become racist now, so I'll use something else: "responsible gun owners" in America have about half the gun violence of Finland.

Board footer