You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is a unique situation, they (Wray or the AG) need to tell the American people what is going on. I don’t want to hear “we don’t comment on an ongoing investigation”. They just raided the former president’s home. They need to say why.

I think it's pretty apparent it's due to the accusations Trump took classified material with him when he left office.  How much you care about this really depends on your political biases.  Does this look bad for Trump, yep.  Does this look bad for the FBI and Biden, yep.  Faith in our institutions is already garbage across the spectrum.  People on the left believe white supremacist and racist cops are free to execute black men without consequence.  People on the right believe far left rioters can burn down city blocks and chuck Molotov cocktails at the Republican president with impunity.  Neither are right, but have a touch of truth to their claims. 

Why did the FBI need to send in a SWAT team?  Why wasn't any similar action taken when Clinton maintained classified information on her private email server?  Again, based on who you most often vote for, people are going to have strong opinions on this.

It's a lose/lose situation.  No one is going to be happy with this result.  Is it a distraction from Biden's sinking poll numbers and Democrats fears about November, or is it a righteous arrest against a dangerous former President?  No one outside of the DoJ really knows, but a bunch of people are going to give you their opinion.   

Trumpers are going to view this is a politicized attack.  It obviously is politicized, but that doesn't mean it was wrong (or right).  Everything at this level is politicized. It can't not be.  There are so many questions about the executive's authority and ability to declassify anything, that getting a straight answer is years off.  This will ultimately be decided by SCOTUS, and that decision is years away. 

So what does this accomplish?  It gives the Trump nuts more ammo and conspiracy to believe.  Trump isn't going to slow down his rhetoric, so what will the January 6th types do now?  It encourages the Russian Truthers who were blinded by their own conspiracy and is a further escalation of toxic behavior.  Trump hasn't been arrested or charged, but a bunch of people think he is.  So if/when that doesn't happen for the aforementioned constitutional considerations, what do they do?  2020 showed us how violent and damaging far left radical can be, and we know Democratic leadership will act in the same manner and handwave it just as they did all throughout 2020 and as Trump did on January 6th.   

I look at this from the perspective of how does this help America move forward.  How does this stop the Balkanization or civil war of the US?  It's early and I don't know any of the details yet.  But all I see with this is creating more ammunition for hyper partisans to become further entrenched and increase division.  It's not something I think should be cheered or celebrated regardless of your opinion on its justification.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

This has got nothing to do with the law. If it did the Bidens and the Clintons would be behind bars years ago.

It's a political witch hunt, nothing more. The USA has officially become a corrupt, latin American country.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Pretty sure most presidents take documents with them that are classified. What gets me is that the FBI visited him twice over these documents, viewed them and even interviewed him briefly, and recommended they secure them better (they were in the basement safe). Just seems odd.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

Pretty sure most presidents take documents with them that are classified. What gets me is that the FBI visited him twice over these documents, viewed them and even interviewed him briefly, and recommended they secure them better (they were in the basement safe). Just seems odd.

I admittedly am not very informed on this at all, but if what you say is true, there really is no justification for these actions.  And it makes the entire thing political.  Sadly the DNC won't be all smiles when the GOP escalates this in early 25.  Except this time the GOP won't be hesitant to use the Guard when rioters swarm.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There could be a lot more to this, of course. He was pretty reckless with classified info. Like he once declassified some secret Iranian missile sites just so he could post them on Twitter.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

There could be a lot more to this, of course. He was pretty reckless with classified info. Like he once declassified some secret Iranian missile sites just so he could post them on Twitter.

This is pretty much it.  There is no bias or witch hunt to get him.  The current FBI director was nominated by Trump and is a Republican.

Apparently he was in possession of some documents with secret/sensitive info and told him to return them a while ago and he probably didn’t return them.

And given his history of being reckless with this stuff, this sounds is why the raid happened.

Randall Flagg

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The conspiracy theories that this is the White House, the Dem Establishment, the "Left" using the FBI to get at Trump for political gain doesn't make much sense. It's tinfoil hat stuff.

They just passed a landmark bill delivering a lot of things their voters and base wanted about 24 hours before this happened. Instead of flooding the airwaves making a song and dance about that the news is all this.

If they wanted political gain, they'd keep the focus on finally passing something, not this.

I don't think this does anything positive for the Dems ahead of the midterms so if there is a conspiracy, the motive doesn't fit.

It's also a lose/lose on the other front like Flagg says, it's another lightning rod to rile up that end of the GOP base into believing all sorts of shit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's complete nonsense as classified documents fall under the executive branch and the President has the power to classify or declassify anything he wants, officially or on the fly. He can take it home, do whatever he wants with it, give it to whoever he wants. 

And even if he wasn't President with those powers, the last time a government official was charged with mishandling documents he got slapped with a misdemeanor and there was no FBI raid on his house. This is a former President, only a banana republic would stoop so low for political gain over some bullshit. Total witch hunt. If you haven't noticed the establishment having it in for Trump since day 1 I don't know what to tell you.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

What made that leak so horrible is that the pics were from some advanced satellite showing crystal clear ground pics and China and Russia found out we had the capability.

My favorite Trump leak is when he let it slip out.... because he wanted to brag....that the US has advanced hypersonic missiles.

Before that, we pretended China and Russia were ahead of us in that regard.

Another doozy is when he let out on Twitter that we had stealth Tomahawk missiles.

I bet the higher ups in the military and CIA hated giving him access to classified info.

I don't think this does anything positive for the Dems ahead of the midterms so if there is a conspiracy, the motive doesn't fit.

Yeah...it makes it worse. They were already looking at a red wave before this happened. They might be able to minimize the damage if it drops quickly from the news cycle....which is unlikely.

Board footer