You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen

misterID wrote:

That is terrible.

I wonder what will happen to all that music in his vault? He was worse than Axl about not releasing stuff, and not giving a shit about the fans.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Didnt know that. Were they?

Would like to hear their stuff.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Didnt know that. Were they?

Would like to hear their stuff.

There were a couple of periods when EVH was on and off with Roth where they were recording demos with Sammy until Wolfgang joined. Also, he supposedly stayed in his studio recording ideas. Heh, just read this:

'
VAN HALEN FAMILY WILL SEARCH 5150 VAULTS FOR UNRELEASED SONGS
COREY IRWINPublished: October 8, 2020
Tweet
Van Halen manager Irving Azoff said Eddie Van Halen's family members will look through his famous home-studio vaults for unheard material that might be suitable for future release.

“[Son] Wolf and [brother] Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house,” Azoff admitted to Pollstar, though he noted “there’s been a lot of recording” at the studio over the years. So, he cautioned it's far too early to speculate about what might be found. “I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it.”

Eddie Van Halen died earlier this week at age 65 after battling cancer for years.

Built in 1983, Eddie’s 5150 Studio was created to give the rocker a home base for crafting his song ideas.

In constructing the space, the late guitarist found a distinctive way to circumvent strict zoning laws. “I built a racquetball court,” Van Halen explained in a 1998 interview with MTV. When the city inspector noticed the thickness of the walls for soundproofing purposes, he commented, "Man, you must really worry about your neighbors." The guitarist responded, "Yeah, you know, I play late at night and I hit the ball really hard."

At one point, all of the recordings housed in the vault were numbered and itemized on a computer, but that information was lost due to a hard drive malfunction. "The computer took a dump on us," Van Halen explained, adding that he was reluctant to go through the process again because "the only person that can do that is me, because nobody knows what I like.”

Whether Eddie eventually reorganized 5150 is unknown, leaving fans to wait and see if Alex and Wolfgang emerge with unheard gems. Azoff was clear, however, about the future of another of Eddie’s endeavors: EVH Gear. “Wolf and Matt Bruck [Eddie’s long-tenured guitar tech] will run it, and that’s going to continue,” the manager insisted of the instrument and amplifier company founded by the Van Halen guitarist.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Been listening to Van Halen most of the week. He influenced so many that he will live on for years to come.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I’d never listened to Van Halen Live 2015 in Japan.

It’s a great show.

Dave’s voice is a little thin but it’s held up remarkably given age and prior lifestyle. The band sounds tight and Wolfie continues to be underrated.

I don’t go out of my way to insult Gn’R but nowadays they’re the ugly friend you compare others to. Van Halen sounded great in their last run, Prince actually cared about his craft to record shows properly, each time another artist does somethingcl, Gn’R looks like a joke in comparison.

Anyway, check out the record above and ADKOT if you haven’t already.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

That is terrible.

I wonder what will happen to all that music in his vault? He was worse than Axl about not releasing stuff, and not giving a shit about the fans.

A dig into the 40 year vault of Eddie Van Halen may be the most intriguing vault dig ever.

There WILL be garbage. Lots of it... especially as you get into the 90s and beyond where it's literally drowning in crack fumes.

Here's where it could get interesting...

Any potential 1980s recordings/jam sessions of alternate universe Van Halens(Patty Smyth, Daryl Hall, etc)

Possible jam sessions with icons he hung out with there like Rod Stewart.

If they wait a long time to do something with it or announce some of its contents, I'm going to safely assume Eddie didn't do much productive and got lazier much earlier than people realized.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I actually tried listening to the Gary Cherone record the other night and couldn't get past the first song. I'll give it another try.

I listened to this when it came out.  I liked the riffs but my god the shrieking screaming vocals was like aaaahhh what happened to the guy who actually SANG in Extreme.

As for Van Halen, it brings me back to childhood, my cousin gave me the cassette of II.  That still remains my favorite album.  Fair Warning is probably better, especially the first 5 songs or so.  But something about II and I can kind of relax and enjoy while listening to DOA and Dance the Night Away.

On the Hagar albums.  5150 is a really good album, aside from the 2 ballads, the title track is one of my favorites.  I think Ou812 is the weakest Hagar album (haven't listened to Balance in full yet).  FUCK is weird in that I like Judgement Day and Top of the World more than the two hits (Poundcake and Right Now).  And speaking of that song, I also associate that with Crystal Pepsi which was a 90s thing and one of those you'd have to be around to understand things.  I was chatting with someone and he had no idea what Crystal Pepsi was.

James

James wrote:

Wow.....

Steve Perry just said Eddie wanted him to come rehearse with Van Halen and tryout for the band in 85. He declined because his and Roth's style didn't mesh and he didn't want to do those songs.

In other words.... there's an alternate universe where Steve Perry joins Van Halen in 1985.

It's unfortunate that Perry didn't understand that post Roth VH was not going to revolve around the old material. He would've only had to sing a handful of Roth songs.

Judging by 1986 Van Hagar's Live Without a Net release, these are the Roth songs he would've performed....

Panama
Ain't Talking About Love

That's it. Of course they wound up doing Jump later on as well.

So a grand total of 3 Roth songs.

They performed two solo Hagar songs....so a Perry fronted VH would've likely added....

Don't Stop Believing
Separate Ways

All other songs from the set would've been Van Perry's debut album.

What a crazy world....

James

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Ughh, so sad. Sammy Hagars comments on EVH:  https://people.com/music/sammy-hagar-ed … f2AO27XrM4

"I would love you to share that Eddie and I had been texting, and it's been a love fest since we started communicating earlier this year," Hagar said in the letter. "We both agreed not to tell anyone because of all the rumors it would stir up about a reunion, et cetera, and we both knew that wasn't going to happen. But he also didn't want anyone to know about his health."

"He stopped responding to me a month ago, and I figured it wasn't good," Hagar continued. "I reached out one more time last week and when he didn't respond, I figured it was a matter of time, but it came way too soon."

What makes this so sad is that he was clearly making peace with everyone before he died.

I hope he realized how pointless the decades long hatred and bickering really was. It achieved nothing good.

All his hatred accomplished was permanently destroying his friendship with Roth.

I'll never forget the story about one of the first shows during the 2007 Roth reunion. After the show, Eddie was happy and went up to Roth backstage to hug Dave and talk to him. Roth said, "Fuck off Ed!" and walked away.

Eddie and Alex crossed the line during the 20 year Roth feud and the relationship wasn't salvageable. Their lucky Roth even did the reunion.

It's one of the reasons why the reunion was so bittersweet. It could've been so much more amazing than it was.

I hope he truly made peace with Michael Anthony as well. What they did to him was unforgivable.

Eddie was a complicated guy...and the massive drug use and alcoholism made it a hundred times worse.

Sky Dog wrote:

Sounds familiar! axl21

Board footer