You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Soundgarden.

Oh here we go, Soundgarden again. Look, I know you have a love affair with that band, but with the best will in the world, a Soundgarden reunion album is orders of magnitude less significant than a GN'R reunion album. GN'R is one of the iconic rock bands. They defined the look of the 80s, they were consistently dominating headlines throughout their 80s and 90s heyday. The only comparable thing I can think of is a Zeppelin reunion.

Or, wait, it's like comparing a fucking Herman's Hermits reunion to John Lennon and George Harrison digging themselves out of the ground and getting the Beatles back together.

The corresponding weight of expectation around a reunion album is orders of magnitude greater. Soundgarden could Just Get On With It because, well, their reunion is a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Everyone at the record company, and their mother, will have an opinion about how to approach The GN'R Reunion Album. Because you get one shot at it. That means the beast is tearing itself apart pulling in many different directions. It's a recipe for inertia.

The comparison is valid regardless of who was more popular.  One band recorded shit loads of new material...some while on tour....the other?

Nada.

One was hard at work digging through the vault to come up with box sets and deluxe editions.

The other?

Notice a pattern yet?

The amount of work put into it doesn't change whether one person is interested or a billion.

It's funny to see some of the Cornell hate from GNR fans.

Remember all that talk of three albums and tours we were gonna get over a few years back in 2001?

Cornell did that exact thing with Audioslave....in the same timeframe it was supposed to happen with new GNR.

Then with time to kill before the reunion he whipped up a few more solo projects.

This is what happens with artists/bands who really are prolific and can walk the walk.

Edit

I don't need "evidence" that the GNR reunion was successful. I'm not blind or stupid.

No one has ever denied its success.

I don't hate Cornell. I like Soundgarden.

What I'm saying is simply that since a GN'R reunion is a much bigger deal than a Soundgarden reunion, there is a correspondingly greater degree of bureaucracy and bullshit involved in getting the album out. Whereas Soundgarden just has to pop into a studio and bash out a few tracks, and the record company's happy, GN'R has to deal with the (probably conflicting) opinions of everyone from the label boss to the mailroom boy. Because they all have a stake in the album.

It's the house In Hawaii that label boss has his eye on. It's Christmas bonuses all round for the marketing staff. There are dozens of vested interests arguing about the best release strategy, what the track listing should be, is the colour balance right on the artwork, should we leave that "pussy full of maggots" track off the album 'cos of the potential blowback from Woke Twitter?

And in the middle of all of this, COVID, throwing a wrench into everyone's plans.

None of these are issues with Soundgarden, because the potential impact of the release is infinitely smaller. Cornell could go off and do his solo projects and, well, it didn't matter, because it's only a Soundgarden album. There's less at stake.

Will Guns n’ Roses release new music in 2021?

Yes, Q1 0%
Yes, Q2 3%
Yes, Q3 20%
Yes, Q4 9%
No. I can’t do this shit anymore. 69%
Total votes: 35
dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

the rumor is they owe the label one more album right? and they always dicked up the chinese democracy project in order to get slash back, right? well he's been back for years. is there no pressure from the label? why would a record label not want to release a record?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

What I'm saying is simply that since a GN'R reunion is a much bigger deal than a Soundgarden reunion, there is a correspondingly greater degree of bureaucracy and bullshit involved in getting the album out. Whereas Soundgarden just has to pop into a studio and bash out a few tracks, and the record company's happy, GN'R has to deal with the (probably conflicting) opinions of everyone from the label boss to the mailroom boy. Because they all have a stake in the album.

If memory serves me correctly.... Soundgarden did not have a record deal in place. They had nothing...they had to rebuild it from the ground up. They couldn't even get merch going. Thayil talked about this years ago.

When a reunion happens...of any band....it will naturally be compared to other major acts reuniting. It's a way to gauge which direction things may or may not go.

Soundgarden - We've been over this... 16

Fleetwood Mac - Hugely successful... amazing live album to kick it off....but as it went on, tensions flared again to the point certain band members would leave or get fired and we got an album but a key member was missing. A proper farewell tour/album will not happen.

Eagles - A live album and two new songs to kick things off. 5-6 years down the road they do a final album.

Van Halen - Reunite after decades of tension. After 5 years or so, they release an album and then a live album...with the death of a founding member a few years later.

Pink Floyd and Zep reunion but on a very small scale.

Comparisons to those are valid and just because one group sells more albums or more tickets doesn't make it null and void.

Cornell could go off and do his solo projects and, well, it didn't matter, because it's only a Soundgarden album. There's less at stake

Definitely....like how Duff and Slash can go off and do their own thing....   19

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

So, with this version of Silkworms being virtually the same as the BBF version, I really do wonder how much Slash worked on these CD songs. I seen someone mention (I am not sure if it was here or elsewhere), that maybe Slash's hardschool could just be a version of HS from 03-08, I wouldn't be shocked as a couple of released songs went through pretty big changes, and if released songs changed a bit who knows how much songs that weren't supposed to be on the first album changed.

Also with Bucket's killswitch intro to SW still being intact I am way more interested in Slash's versions of CD2 songs. Because from what we heard from the two songs, the only thing that is really any different are the guitar solos. I would like to hear a later version of HS to see how much has changed though. Also now this leads the question would they be crazy enough to release an album with vocals from 1999-2007? My guess is probably but the 07 vocals will stick out as his raspy voice sounded different in 1999.

Speaking about vocals, If I were them I would really release Hardschool as a single before I play it live. There is pretty much 0 chance Axl will sound passable on the chorus live and I would not want people's first two impression of new material be Silkworms (a fun song IMO but I see why others don't like it) and a bad performance of Hardschool vocally.

I guess we will have to see what happens, maybe they are just playing these two songs for fun and have no plans of releasing them or maybe it is just because of the leaks. Hopefully it is for a new album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me it purely depends on how much vaulted material there is.

It's clear that Axl doesn't consider time an impediment in the sense that throughout his career he has released earlier songs as new - from "Don't Cry" showing up on UYI, to "Shadow of Your Love" being the AFD 30th single, to "Absurd" launching this new tour.

Put that fact together with how his vocal abilities have changed with his age, and it would make sense to first plunder any and every old vocal you have done in the past to see what can be harvested into a 'new' song. For me this is good news as that's stuff like State of Grace and Eye on You and who knows what other gems.

Once they have done that though - it's uncertain what will happen. I can see the argument that the negative aspects blocking releases have gone - the label would be keen now, the band gets on, there would be less pressure etc. Maybe we see a new period of activity like the AFD-UYI era. Then again....maybe they just use the albums to launch 10 year tours each time and so we get very little before retirement age. Who knows.

It might depend how creative Axl is these days - he himself has joked (when in Ac/Dc) that if people could just write good songs for him then that would help matters, then again, Ashba told stories of Axl sitting around playing awesome unknown songs in a hotel room one night saying it was just ideas in his mind. So who knows. Maybe with the world at his feet again he gets the creative bug - or maybe he's just going to enjoy a well earned rock retirement if such a thing exists.

Be interesting to see...but it looks like we have genuine hope for at least one more record, and that make me happy!

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

The comparisons to other bands doesn't really work in 2021.

We're living in the smartphone age with rock's popularity waning. I'd love to see it make a comeback because it's actually music unlike this other trash but that's neither here nor there.

As always, record company wants money. Some is better than none. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:

Brasky says an EP in Nov

If that is true I bet the EP will be Hard School, Atlas, Perhaps and Silkworms.

So of course it will be nothing the die-hards have not heard before in one form or another.

And just watch it will be the same vocals too as the locker versions.

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

So, with this version of Silkworms being virtually the same as the BBF version, I really do wonder how much Slash worked on these CD songs. I seen someone mention (I am not sure if it was here or elsewhere), that maybe Slash's hardschool could just be a version of HS from 03-08, I wouldn't be shocked as a couple of released songs went through pretty big changes, and if released songs changed a bit who knows how much songs that weren't supposed to be on the first album changed.

Also with Bucket's killswitch intro to SW still being intact I am way more interested in Slash's versions of CD2 songs. Because from what we heard from the two songs, the only thing that is really any different are the guitar solos. I would like to hear a later version of HS to see how much has changed though. Also now this leads the question would they be crazy enough to release an album with vocals from 1999-2007? My guess is probably but the 07 vocals will stick out as his raspy voice sounded different in 1999.

Speaking about vocals, If I were them I would really release Hardschool as a single before I play it live. There is pretty much 0 chance Axl will sound passable on the chorus live and I would not want people's first two impression of new material be Silkworms (a fun song IMO but I see why others don't like it) and a bad performance of Hardschool vocally.

I guess we will have to see what happens, maybe they are just playing these two songs for fun and have no plans of releasing them or maybe it is just because of the leaks. Hopefully it is for a new album.

Axls vocals on CD where all over the place and different.
Just listen to Madagascar, Riad, the blues, teh title track, scrapped as examples.

if axl re-did all teh vocals which is doubtful and he did them around the time he did that looney toons song, his rasp is pretty good.

Also he had good rasp in 2016 with AC DC too

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

Brasky says an EP in Nov

So of course it will be nothing the die-hards have not heard before in one form or another.

Sorry, playing catch up here - who is Brasky?

An EP would be ok - provided it is  a precursor to an album.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

Brasky says an EP in Nov

Surely the Seeker and Witchita Lineman would be in contention ...

Board footer