You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

surely, this situation has presented itself over the past 5 years.

Yeah what they need to do is just hang out no pressure IMO.

Like living together and chilling is what made some of the GNR stuff happen.

But it could go either way these days. Like they could travel independently. Axl can have his private routines to warm his voice and get in the right head space, Duff does whatever duff does to overcome anxiety etc, Slash warms up on guitar, they all have their own families and peeps around them....maybe they only bring it all together each night in the last few minutes...who knows....

I love absurd...but recording wise it sounds like Slash came in to the studio and muted the BBF channels and then played something to go with what was down already....which worked out cool...but what we want is like 2 guys hanging out writing songs organically....but can that even happen these days when we're all old and they're rich and famous? I dunno.

It's not going to happen.

Might as well ask Fleetwood Mac to move into a studio and start fucking one another again in an attempt to conjure up another Rumours.

70-80 year old rich, out of touch musicians who dislike one another don't do that....just like those approaching 60 aren't hanging out doing acoustic jams like it's 1988.

I think we're lucky that so much unreleased material is in play. I'd hate to see the alternative where the vaults are empty.

Will Guns n’ Roses release new music in 2021?

Yes, Q1 0%
Yes, Q2 3%
Yes, Q3 20%
Yes, Q4 9%
No. I can’t do this shit anymore. 69%
Total votes: 35
Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I'm not sure why people keep citing how they wrote songs in the 80s as how they should do things now. In the 80s they were all in their 20s. They are near 60 now, they aren't going to act and behave like they did in their 60s. It's unrealistic to expect them to.

Even in terms of travel - there is no need for them to travel together, they want their own privacy. It's not even really a "they're rich and detached" thing either. Just like people outgrow having roommates and start to want their own place later into their 20s and 30s same with these guys. Duff and Slash aren't chasing a fix of something together all the time anymore, they don't need to be palling around the whole time. It's not 92.

They wrote a bunch of instrumental shit in 94-96. Axl has whatever his shadow lineup produced in 95 plus his vault from the CD sessions where by all accounts he has 1-2 albums of vocals if not more. Duff and Slash have stuff they did with Izzy pre VR. If Axl has been willing to record again (and according to Fortus he was recording vocals in 2014 and we know he did that cartoon song post reunion so it's all possible) then there is a wealth of stuff to work with. I'd also rather hear what was worked on when they were 15-25 years younger, were pissed off at each other and had something to say.

They don't need to get in a room and spend hours together writing music. They're not 25 anymore.

And hell who knows, they still go to rehearsals and soundchecks together and may jam about a bit during that. Some ideas can come from that too.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

80s romantics fail to remember how they were constantly apart even through the recording of Appetite and as soon as they had enough cheese they went their own separate ways.

Anyway, release a new album. The wait has become a tedious bore.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

80s romantics fail to remember how they were constantly apart even through the recording of Appetite and as soon as they had enough cheese they went their own separate ways.

I vaguely remember an Axl interview around 89 where he said it was difficult to even get all of them in the same room together.

That's when I realized most(all?) of those posters/pinups in magazines from 87-90 were probably photographed in 87 before the insanity kicked in.

Other than those couple pics in the studio in that special edition of RIP magazine, fans never got pictures of them during 90-91.... until the band pic in the album.

I'm excluding those few pics of Axl out on the town that gossip mags published.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The recording of appetite was not the writing of appetite though.

The writing of those songs happens when they were not apart but in the "hell house" era and on the infamous seattle tour and similar bonding experiences.

I get what you guys are saying that they arn't 21.

But I also think if you want to capture some organic energy you need to act somewhat organically. Left to their own Slash will send Axl a CD full of completed guitar songs missing vocals - which makes it hard to hit lyrical inspiration and Slash will get a CD from Axl of piano or computer compositions where all he can do is play solos around the existing structures.

Of course they can make great stuff that way but it's not a recipe for either to push the other out of his comfort zone which is kinda what was happening when they hung out and blended styles.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The writing of those songs happens when they were not apart but in the "hell house" era and on the infamous seattle tour and similar bonding experiences.

But I also think if you want to capture some organic energy you need to act somewhat organically. Left to their own Slash will send Axl a CD full of completed guitar songs missing vocals - which makes it hard to hit lyrical inspiration and Slash will get a CD from Axl of piano or computer compositions where all he can do is play solos around the existing structures.

Of course they can make great stuff that way but it's not a recipe for either to push the other out of his comfort zone which is kinda what was happening when they hung out and blended styles.

Here's one of the main obstacles to that....

They're not genuine friends....and haven't been in over two decades.

This isn't Soundgarden where you can pick right up with your buddies, iron out a few disagreements, and then jump in the studio....take a break, and Chris and Ben go on a radio tour hanging out and working on material together.

Their issues weren't as bad....and there wasn't nearly as much money at stake.

What happens if Axl and Slash get together and it becomes a repeat of the 94 Snakepit demos?

I don't think they're willing to risk it all to "go back to their roots".

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This isn't Soundgarden where you can pick right up with your buddies, iron out a few disagreements, and then jump in the studio....take a break, and Chris and Ben go on a radio tour hanging out and working on material together.

What happens if Axl and Slash get together and it becomes a repeat of the 94 Snakepit demos?

Duff is friends with Slash. Duff is friends with Axl. He is the glue that holds them together.

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Duff is friends with Slash. Duff is friends with Axl. He is the glue that holds them together.

And this brittle chain somehow translates into acoustical jams and all nighters at the studio whipping up songs from scratch?

I think not.....

If it happens....great. I'll do cartwheels down the street if they hunkered down Soundgarden style and created a new album.

I'm just not expecting it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Well and also Izzy isn't there as well.  In retrospect that 89 interview foreshadowed the breakup/problems recording Illusions.

You're right.  They're not friends.  I don't think it is as bad as VH where Eddie still couldn't stand DLR.  But these guys are business partners for the touring and the revenue that comes with it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah that's probably the main problem, and I think being middle aged and rich isn't going to help them re-kindle that either.

Like I don't even know how middle aged dudes hang out, for most of my mates and I it's been somewhat impossible after all the wives and kids come along hhahahahaha

Board footer