You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rolling Stones - No Huge, Iconic albums?!?

James wrote:

I've been listening to the Voodoo Lounge outtakes. Great stuff.

Anyways....it dawns on me.....they have no iconic albums that hit the world over the head with a sledgehammer.

Beatles....take your pick

Zep....IV

GNR..... Appetite

U2....Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby

Metallica.... Black album

Nirvana.... Nevermind

List goes on.

The Stones are lacking such an album. Don't say Exile On Mainstreet. Even Jagger thought that was lackluster and surprised by hardcore fans love of it. Besides...it has no hits.

While the Stones are certainly one of the greatest bands in history, they are really more of a singles band.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Let It Bleed (1969) & Sticky Fingers (1971)

SF is prolly one of my top5 all time favorite albums...Mick Taylor did some amazing stuff with them...but it's been said many times...u either like them or u don't...there isn't really an in between when it comes to the stones

If u buy their Grrrrreatest hits 3 cd set tho...man o man lots of good tunes on there....some songs like jumpin' jack flash were never released on a full length album

Due to Keith Richard's unique style that he adopted in the early 70s they kind of skirt the rock'n'roll, blues and country genres...and mick was never the greatest singer...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

That was kindof the Stones tho. Plus they trace back to the prior era with the Beatles where it was put out tons of songs & an album each year. I think they learned as the went to put out 1 album with their better material as time went on, but couldn't stop the habit of throwing it all out there.

Exile On Main Street was somewhat of a comeback album for them, or solidified their greatness & longevity. Around 1970 Zeppelin took over, along with The Who among teens and fans, and the Stones were kindof yesterdays band or for older people. Then with UK's crazy high taxes they were all so in debt & bankrupt they had to move to France to record it to turn any kind of profit. Drugs kicked in and Mick enjoyed the Paris lifestyle, they were really splitting apart and had become different people. It really became spaghetti against a wall and they put it out there not knowing how it would do and assumed it may become their final album. Sure enough, US fans loved it, they refound a whole new teen audience, and were flying jets around the US on tour. Truly was a comeback story. There was talk, and I heard this from a friend once who was older, there were Stones kids, and Zeppelin kids, almost like two factions, maybe like Metallica/GnR or metal/grunge.

If you get a chance, Keith Richards book Life is a great read.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

The Keith doc is interesting as well...there is a couple clips in there of them recording sympathy for the devil

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed. Mick Taylor era was the best for me...

Sky Dog wrote:

Beggars Banquet-Let It Bleed-Sticky Fingers-Exile On Main Street

Best 4 four albums in a row from any of the big classic rock acts

James

James wrote:

Yeah that's some great stuff but there's not a single massive selling album on that list.

Sticky Fingers...their first number one....has only sold three million copies.

Steel Wheels is right on its ass.

Best 4 four albums in a row from any of the big classic rock acts

Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac would disagree.

Sky Dog wrote:

Fleetwood Mac??? I’m not talking about sales. I’m talking about Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll! 3

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Fleetwood Mac??? I’m not talking about sales. I’m talking about Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll! 3

Yes...but my original point is that no matter how great the Stones were, they don't have that massive album that other bands on their level had.

Check this out....

They're fleshing out this song that winds up becoming Start Me Up.

Sky Dog wrote:

Floyd had Dark Side of the Moon, wish You Were Here, Animals then The Wall. Animals being the album to break the 4 in a row. Zeppelin’s first 4 is broken by III. Beatles run from Revolver to Abbey Road is broke up by Magical Mystery Tour. The Who only had two with Tommy and Who’s Next.

Board footer