You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Wtf happened to…Chinese Democracy (song)

FlashFlood wrote:

In an effort to talk GnR with you guys leading into the tour, I wanted to see if I could start a series. Starting with the title track and moving on throughout the album, I want to see what people liked about the song when they first heard it, and what their final impression of the album version is.

I am in the minority but I like Frank’s heavy drums and Ron’s riffs on the verse. Also, the song is better with Bucket’s solo which wasn’t in the first gigs at HoB and RIR3. The intro on the album is nonsense and should start where the Boston 2002 radio promo started.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The album intro is such a pain if you use streaming services like Spotify.

I enjoy a fun atmosphere intro for when I'm doing an album front to back, but for playlists/mixtapes/random style listening then extended intros to songs are a mood killer. So I'd prefer if it was on the album but as a skippable track and you could play the song proper without it.

I agree with you that I liked Ron's parts and the new drums....but I'm not the biggest fan of the mix/master on the album we got. I noticed one of the demos that leaked last year gave the song more vibrancy and I don't think it was so much the changes in the parts but just that the whole album as it was released has a sort of muddyness to the mix.

Sky Dog wrote:

The five guitars, a bass, a sub bass, two keyboards, some orchestra, and 3 Axl vocal tracks MAY have something to do with that muddy mix! 4 axl

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The album intro is such a pain if you use streaming services like Spotify.

I enjoy a fun atmosphere intro for when I'm doing an album front to back, but for playlists/mixtapes/random style listening then extended intros to songs are a mood killer. So I'd prefer if it was on the album but as a skippable track and you could play the song proper without it.

I agree with you that I liked Ron's parts and the new drums....but I'm not the biggest fan of the mix/master on the album we got. I noticed one of the demos that leaked last year gave the song more vibrancy and I don't think it was so much the changes in the parts but just that the whole album as it was released has a sort of muddyness to the mix.

Having the intros on a lot of CD songs split would be great. Like you say for making playlists they are dreadful.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the song is the perfect embodiment of the problem with the entire album. It's like when Homer Simpson made the perfect car. He just couldn't stop throwing up on it.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

The intro is way too long. I am also not a fan of Ron's guitar on any CD song really. I like his solo stuff but most of the songs were pretty packed without him, that adding him made them way too cluttered. My favorite version of CD is the Rough Mix CD 1 version, then the 2007/08 leak. I think the perfect version would be the 2003 version.

I think the final version is ok it would be way better without the intro (and without hearing any of the earlier versions). The song lost a lot of punch going from the 2001 version to the 07/08 leaks and then to the final version, as did every song on the album.

In 99-03 the song could have been a pretty good single but by 08 the song was pretty much gone.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl should have stuck with one vocal style. That played as much of a role in the clutteredness as the guitars. It's a cool song, but just too busy. Maybe it was an attempt to make it a harder song to level out the ballads or they thought it would have a better chance of being a hit single?

Axl threw everything at that song.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I prefer the album version because of the punchier production during the chorus. Song is the definition of bland in any case though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This song was great at HOB and Rio.

Unfortunately... for reasons unknown...over the next 7-8 years they tried to forcefully turn it into an epic that it simply can't be.

The Village Sessions leak allowed the fan base to hear it how it was always supposed to sound.

The album version is unlistenable.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

This song was great at HOB and Rio.

Unfortunately... for reasons unknown...over the next 7-8 years they tried to forcefully turn it into an epic that it simply can't be.

The Village Sessions leak allowed the fan base to hear it how it was always supposed to sound.

The album version is unlistenable.

This.  Sometimes a catchy rock tune is just that.  Adding all that other stuff didn't help at all.  That intro on the album doesn't do anything.

Board footer