You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Super Tuesday thread

James wrote:

Gonna be a big day today. Depending on how these races go, we could know by tonight which two candidates will face off in the general election.

First results have already came in. Voters in Indonesia have spoken.....

(CNN) -- Illinois Sen. Barack Obama won the first battle of the Super Tuesday showdown when Democratic Party voters in Indonesia -- where Obama spent four years of his childhood -- picked him over Sen. Hillary Clinton.

A girl walks past the school in Jakarta, Inodnesia, where Barack Obama attended as a boy.

Seventy five percent of the nearly 100 votes cast by expatriate Americans a minute after midnight Indonesia time (12 p.m. Monday EST) went to Obama. The rest were cast in favor of Clinton, said Arian Ardie, country committee chair for Democrats Abroad.

Ardie said he was not permitted to disclose the exact number of votes cast, and added that the results were preliminary and still need formal verification.

Ardie said that Obama's time in Indonesia was part of his appeal among expatriate voters in the southeast Asian country.

"I think it factored in to the extent they saw someone with strong international experience," he said. "But I don't think it was the primary factor."

The voting at a hotel in Indonesia's capital city of Jakarta was the first in-person casting of ballots in a coast-to-coast contest for Democratic and Republican presidential hopefuls Tuesday. Voters will go to the polls in 24 states and American Samoa.

Some 6 million Americans living abroad are eligible to vote in U.S. elections, The Associated Press reported, but only a fraction have done so in the past.

Ardie said Democrats in Indonesia wanted to create the same kind of buzz that the New Hampshire hamlet of Dixville Notch generated when it kicked off the presidential primaries on January 8.

The midnight voting in the hamlet of about 75 people near the Canadian border was closely watched by the media and the campaigns.

There too, Obama won -- garnering seven of 10 votes cast. Clinton won none.

More than four-fifths of the 2,025 delegates needed to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination are at stake Tuesday in what amounts to a national primary.

The delegates will in turn choose the party's presidential candidate at their August convention.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Today is going to be a crazy day. Everyone get out and vote! (for Ron Paul.... Or at least not for McCain)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think you and Flagg are the only members here voting republican. Flagg has an insatiable desire for his money to become worthless, so McCain is getting his vote.:laugh:

Everyone drive safe to the polls. Some of the streets get a bit hectic. I am gonna vote this morning. I usually do it early in the morning or right before the polls close.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I think you and Flagg are the only members here voting republican. .

I'm a republican, but unfortunatly I think that by the time my primary rolls around (April 22) it will already be decided who the nominee is.  If it is Mccain... I dont know what I'll do.  probably wont vote in the primary, the general election is going to be iffy on who i cast my actual vote for.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Obama is gonna surprise Hillary in some states. That's why she rolled out the "crying" tactic Sunday.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:

That's why she rolled out the "crying" tactic Sunday.

again? Good lord...I'l say it again....do americans really want a president who is gonna cry when things dont go right? ... geez

Secretary of Defense: "Oh Shit.... The Taliban has attacked Florida! Mrs President what do we do?"

Hillary" " .... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *sniff* whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I'm interested in the safety of this nation and leaders who belive in personal responsibility and not a nanny state.  Social medicine is not a right and just because people choose to work McJobs into their 30s and 40s doesn't mean I should have to pay for them to have medical care.  Social Medicine is the first step in the ultimate spiral to a complete nanny state where everything is provided by the government.  Both Hillary and Obama support this and would do nothing to stop the inflation James believes will destroy the American Dollar.

McCain while not perfect, represent a realistic, middle of the road politician that can unite more americans than alienate them as would certainly be the case under a Clinton presidency and has been under a Bush Presidency.

Obama is very naieve, and while I believe him to be a good person, I see many similarities between him and Jimmy Carter.  For that reason alone, I can not and will not support him.  At least with Hillary, I don't need to worry about stockpiling weapons for the eventual invasion that would result from an Obama presidency.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

On the contrary I believe we'd have less of a chance of being attacked under Obama than under Clinton. Just any leftover skeletons from Clinton's reign may come back to haunt us. I'm not saying it's a great chance, but still. I think that's why we were attacked in 01, having a Bush back in office.

I agree McCain is fairly middle of the road, more than most other Republican candidates, but his war stance is really going to hurt him. As James has said before, logic says we can do alot more with the $$ this war is costing than being in Iraq. Those Middle Eastern countries have loads of coin (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Dubai), why can't they finance & occupy it?!  If Mexico had an uprising from insurgents I don't think any country would come over to help, it'd just be us.

As for Health Care, it's kindof ignorant to say people without healthcare choose to have McJobs. I'm going to assume you live in a relatively larger city or suburban area. If you've ever visited small town America there is no Verizon, or Ikea, Best Buy or Olive Garden to take a job at to earn benefits. And I'm talking small small towns, not Allentown or Little Rock, towns not on the maps, pop 500. Likely the father works at a factory, or a skilled trade such as construction, plumber, roofer etc. In which case either self employed or boss (with a staff of 2-3 people) doesn't offer benefits. It truly is a different world. And how about store owners in small towns, they need to pay thousands for healthcare, not just deduct $50 from each paycheck like you or I. Some people actually think healthcare costs what is deducted from their paycheck, not relaizing the employer pays thousands per employee.

Those of us who do have healthcare in this country likely have some of the best in the world.  However it's a give & take because unlike other countries (alot of European countries & Canada) not everyone gets it or can afford it. I beleive some kind of healthcare is reasonable (1 doctor visit  per year, maybe more for women, high co-pay $100 or so) Just so someone who has an injury isn't stuck with an $8000 bill for a broken ankle, and for people who come down with serious illnesses (cancer, stroke etc). For most of Americans, they will not even need it, but just to cover those who come down with something unfortunate. I also think employers with a staff of over a certain amount (25 or 50 or so) should be req'd to supply it. I had a boss once who didn't give benefits yet drove a f'ing BMW & bought a new (large) house, needless to say I left.  Now like any government run program it probably won't run very efficiently, but being a new program, upstarted in todays modern, computer times, there's a better chance for it to initially start out more efficiently than others since it wouldnt be dragged down  by bureaucratic bullshit.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Wow, people really believe in this day and age that they need to stockpile weapons to fend off an invasion? I hope that's not representative of the GOP as a whole. If it is, that's pretty preposterous.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:

Wow, people really believe in this day and age that they need to stockpile weapons to fend off an invasion? I hope that's not representative of the GOP as a whole. If it is, that's pretty preposterous.

I was being facetious, but my point remains the same.  Someone willing to shake hands and negotiate with those who want nothing short of our extinction is naieve and a fool at best.  Regardless, I don't want him in charge of the military in which I serve in because I'm not interested in serving as a UN soldier.  No one has explained how Clinton or Obama will aide in the depleting value of the dollar.  My biggest issue with Obama is the same issue I made vocal in 2006; change for change sake is not good policy.  Americans took it hook line and sinker in '06 that things would some how be different if Democrats were elected.  Democrats ran on the same platform as Obama is now (anyone wonder why) by saying elect us because it will be something different; won't elaborate or explain how it's different, just that it's different.  As anyone can point out, nothing has changed since 2006 under and Democratic program and in fact, congressional approval rating has fallen.  People should take notice of this when they champion behind Obama just because he is "different".

I'm interested in a leader who loves America and sees themself as an American and not simply a member of the world community.  I'm not interested in being a peace keeper, aide or police to whatever ills other nations have.  I want someone who's primary focus is the longevity of America and believes in self determinaion and individual responsibilty.  The Democrats have been the antithesis of this thinking for at least the past 30 years.  Recently, Republicans have adopted similar ideas.  McCain, while not perfect, best represents my values and I believe he is most qualifed to protect our national security interests which is my primary concern.

Board footer